Destination America signs ROH TV

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Highlights from Meltzer on all of this.
CGCUUF1WMAARR51.png:large

What a pleasent surprise to wake up to for the ROH roster.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
So what is this, like 4 wrestling shows on Wednesday? ROH, Impact Wrestling, Lucha Underground and NXT?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Yup. Wednesday night warfare.

Only ones not affected is NXT since they are on demand. They aren't affected by when people watch as long as they do. ROH as well but not in the same way since they air on the weekend as well and online.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I had a great laugh when I read this. Wed nights are the wrestling nights now lol

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
inb4 they move SmackDown to Wednesday nights.
Because Wednesdays are all the rage now.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Do they? They've been running for 13 years without international TV and done fine. Don't rush things.

ROH continues to expand because they don't care about "competing" with other companies, they just keep doing their thing the best way possible.

More exposure in other countries like the UK where WWE and TNA already have TV deals but ROH don't. It's one of the reasons why I ever even got into TNA, because seeing ROH on TV would help a lot (rather not watch online every week).

Either way, I don't know much about how Destination America would be thinking, but hopefully they're really excited to have ROH and TNA on the same night but seeing as how they apparently told no-one in TNA, it looks like D-A are giving TNA the middle finger before not renewing.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
I would've liked to see them sign a deal with AXS like New Japan, but a TV deal is still good nonetheless.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Just hours after their deal to Destination America was announced, Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff appeared with 411Mania's Greg DeMarco on the Greg DeMarco Show to discuss their new television partner. They sent us these highlights:

How the Destination America deal came about:

"Unlike other wrestling promotions we're a broadcasting company and we have a different kind of rolodex. We were able to make a contact at Destination America. They're great people and they're wrestling fans... One of the things we talked about is what a tremendous two-three punch we could give that network if they had both Ring of Honor and Impact Wrestling."

If Samoa Joe will still be able to appear on ROH television with the new deal:

"We have not heard otherwise, so I don't have the answer for you. We have contracts—they have contracts. I'm hoping that since he was able to take our booking when we had a TV program with significant coverage. I don't know at this point, I am counting on him to be on TV with us as long as he appears with us, but I guess we'll find out."

If fans can still watch the weekly television show on the ROH website:

"Absolutely. It's really well thought out by both parties. Our programs are weekend programs that primarily air on our Sinclair stations plus our syndicated partners on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The Destination America program will be available at 8 o'clock... with the same program. We've expanded our footprint significantly with the Destination America clearance... it's a win-win for everybody."

How Ring of Honor kept the deal from leaking out:

"I'm proud of it, quite frankly. It's something I've always done throughout my whole career. There are certain things that are best kept out of the press and I have a terrific inner circle—the people I work with and the people I trust—understand the importance of that from my perspective. I think specifically for this deal a well it was really important due to the fact that another wrestling promotion was on Destination America. I'm all about Ring of Honor—doing the best thing for our company is our main focus. It was an important deal for both parties and I am really proud of the fact that we were able to get through the announcements without it getting leaked out."

Koff also discussed how long ROH has wanted a cable television deal, being with Ring of Honor talent when the deal came out, if they will partner with TNA Impact Wrestling in the future and more. The episode also features WWE Tough Enough hopeful and top vote getter Ashley Tramonte, RunningEnzuigiri.com editor Heather Jeannine and a WWE Elimination Chamber Preview. You can check out the full interview below:

Stopspot

Reaction score
The combined viewership for ROH's debut episode on DA is 273K according to showbuzzdaily.com, TNA ended up drawing 369K viewers. That means that ROH, without any advertising by the network drew numbers in the ballpark of TNA. That's not shabby.

Worth noting is that this is just the numbers from DA. Meltzer has reported that the weekly ratings for ROH on syndication on Sinclair stations totals into 500K per week, and there's the numbers from the new NESN syndication deal to factor in as well but there's no data available on that front yet. So discounting the NESN numbers ROH gets about a combined total viewership in the 700-800k range now, Not too shabby for a one hour long wrestling show.

Reactions: Leo C and Bort