Debate question #1

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

circle

Reaction score
What about if its labeled Manslaughter?

In a case that happens (which it does) does the punishment fit the crime?

phantomgerald

If they is any hope of the criminal actually contributing to the society in the future then I think he should not be killed. If he doesn't repent, what's the point of keeping him in jail. It's the taxpayers money which keeps them in jail, and these taxpayers are people like your parents, and yourself in the future. Is that where you want you money to go to?

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
^^^ It's also a way to prevent overcrowding and a deterrent for murderers. Find a better reason before you come back.

Deterrent? Really? Explain to me why the USA has the highest murder rate in the first world? It does nothing to deter criminals, they don't care, they kill whoever it is they kill and then they get off easy by being killed themselves. It's a far better punishment to be locked in a small grey room for the rest of your life.

Overcrowding in prisons? OH NOES!!! Are you endorsing genocide to save yourself 50c a year? Maybe we should kill people in all areas that are overcrowded. Hell, imagine the problems we can solve with genocide! AIDs, homeless, the disabled, the sick. They're burdens to society and your hard earned tax payer dollars, lets kill them all; While we're at it we can drape swastikas everywhere.

You want to deter crime? Remove the reasons people commit them. Eliminate poverty and desperation. You can't stop crime by committing a crime yourself and as far as I know murder is a crime.

phantomgerald

Most murderers never serve out their life sentence and is released after a while. Then there's always the risk that they could go back to their old ways. You want to know why US has the largest murder rates, it's because of the ease at which they can get a gun.

Travis40

What about if its labeled Manslaughter?

In a case that happens (which it does) does the punishment fit the crime?

Okay...manslaughter...eh...that's kind of a tough call, in some ways, yes...but in other ways, no. I really can't say anything else on this matter...I just can't come up with anything because...manslaughter is a really though call...so yes and no. And phantomgerald...it's not very easy to get a gun in the US...that's pretty much a flat out lie. They have to do background checks and tons and tons of things before they can sell you a gun. It's not as easy as it sounds.

circle

Reaction score
I do agree with Manslaughter being a grey area b/c I was puzzled myself, and I wanted to get another opinion on it, but still its tough. Would it be better to eliminated the manslaughter charge consider it murder in the 3rd degree? Which in case if we are going a life for a life scenario...there should be no degree for murder other than its murder.

Although its tough to have gun...especially after the VT incident...we still have the right to bear arms.

The high murder rate in the states is a problem, but things happen in life that are beyond our control, and unfortunately a lot of this happens to occur here.

Don't get me started on background checks. NOt all of them are created equal and some of them really suck.

As far as poverty and depression goes. I would love to eliminate it, but I guess you know as well as I do that while there are the rich there are also poor people. I don't think it can ever go away.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Most murderers never serve out their life sentence and is released after a while. Then there's always the risk that they could go back to their old ways. You want to know why US has the largest murder rates, it's because of the ease at which they can get a gun.

Well, remove parole then if you want to keep murders locked away. Gun control has nothing to do with it, if a person wants to murder someone they will do it no matter how easy it is to get a gun. Anyway, that's not relevant because if the death penalty was a more effective deterrent that wouldn't factor into it because the potential murders wouldn't want to die themselves. They don't care because a) they'll think they're not going to get caught or b) as long as they get the "bitch/bastard" they're happy.

Oh and about removing poverty, it wouldn't be as hard as you think. It's just that it's not as profitable as arms trade; That's most nations can't even manage 1% of their budgets to fight poverty but the US (and others) can spend a huge sum of money on killing people.

EDIT: Oh and Norway has the lowest murder rate in the world and their maximum prison sentence in 21 years. No need for the death penalty there. Go figure.