Danny Davis sells OVW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Forrest OAKADA

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
After 22 years in business and mentoring more than 150 athletes to professional wrestling’s national stage Ohio Valley Wrestling owner Danny Davis will immediately step away from the company he founded.

Monday Davis announced the completed sell of majority ownership in Ohio Valley Wrestling to a private investor. Davis said, “I have been searching for the perfect person to carry on OVW's legacy and I believe I’ve found them.”

OVW launched in 1993 and eventually grew into the developmental training territory for both World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Total Nonstop Action (TNA) the two largest sports entertainment companies in the United States. Davis’ resume is unmatched. No other professional wrestling company in the world has helped more talent fulfill their dreams on the national stage. Davis played a vital role in coaching the biggest stars in the wrestling industry over the last two decades including John Cena, Brock Lesnar, CM Punk and Randy Orton.

“I want to thank the guys and girls who allowed me to play a part in their careers and the OVW fans for their unwavering dedication.” He said, “I’ve been mulling this decision for several weeks and the time is right for my family to begin a new chapter.”

Davis’ career started in the 1970’s in the old Memphis wrestling territory. He's respected the world over as “The Nightmare” a tag team wrestling expert. On July 4th, Davis teamed with one of his first students, “Ironman” Rob Conway, a former WWE Superstar and multi time NWA World Champion at the OVW Saturday Night Special.

Davis is inviting all fans, media and OVW wrestlers past and present to this Wednesday’s television taping, July 8th, 2015. The new majority owner of Ohio Valley Wrestling will be introduced.

OVW TV takes places in Davis Arena, 4400 Shepherdsville Rd. Louisville, KY. 40218. Doors open at 6:30pm. General admission seats are $5.

Damn, Davis has been running OVW for a while and the amount of people that have gone through the promotion to the WWE and found success is good for them but I'm wondering who's bought the company from Davis.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
INB4 Demott.

Davis has certainly earned his retirement. Thanks for the years, Danny.

Forrest OAKADA

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
INB4 Demott.

Davis has certainly earned his retirement. Thanks for the years, Danny.

Yeah, Davis has deserved it for all these years of running the place.

I only have to wonder, who's bought it? Could it just someone looking to run their own promotion or could another promotion have bought them?

Stopspot

Reaction score
For horrified lolz, Demott bought it. But it has to be a company that bought it. I dunno any promotion that has the dough to buy another one without cutting into their own savings severly outside of WWE and ROH in the states right now. So most likely some company that wants to run a smaller promotions bought Davis' share.

Forrest OAKADA

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
For horrified lolz, Demott bought it. But it has to be a company that bought it. I dunno any promotion that has the dough to buy another one without cutting into their own savings severly outside of WWE and ROH in the states right now. So most likely some company that wants to run a smaller promotions bought Davis' share.

Could WWE have bought it just for the Video Library for when they were as WWE's developmental? I dunno, ROH has a chance of doing it.

inb4 Gabe buys it up for WWN.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Could WWE have bought it just for the Video Library for when they were as WWE's developmental? I dunno, ROH has a chance of doing it.

inb4 Gabe buys it up for WWN.
Gabe is impossible, Gabe isn't the guy sitting on the money for the WWN. And the WWN has so much of their money locked into their Roku channel right now. It could be the WWE, but I am unsure on if they would keep OVW running, which seems to be the case here.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, good for Danny. He's gonna enjoy his retirement, I'm sure. Also wondering who bought it.

Forrest OAKADA

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
A capacity crowd welcomed Ohio Valley Wrestling founder Danny Davis with a standing ovation and a thunderous chant of, “Thank You Danny,” as he said goodbye to the company he started 22 years ago.
Saturday on OVW television Davis announced longtime advisor, friend and on air commentator Dean Hill purchased majority ownership of Ohio Valley Wrestling. Hill, a retired Louisville police officer, started his career in professional wrestling in the 1980’s working security at the famed Louisville Gardens for USWA and Memphis Wrestling events. He became the “The Voice” of OVW in the early 1990’s. Hill said,” I’m the only guy who has been by Danny’s side since day one. It has been an incredible apprenticeship and now I will carry this legacy forward."

OVW launched in 1993 and eventually grew into the developmental training territory for both World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Total Nonstop Action (TNA) the two largest sports entertainment companies in the United States. The Louisville based company’s resume is unmatched. OVW mentored more than 150 athletes to professional wrestling’s national stage and produced the biggest stars of the last two decades including John Cena, Brock Lesnar, CM Punk and Randy Orton. Davis said, “Dean was right there through it all and it was important to me that the pillars of this company stay in place.”

OVW will continue to host weekly television tapings every Wednesday night and live events throughout the region. “Hustler” Rip Rogers will stay on board as the company’s lead trainer and Matt Cappotelli (WWE Tough Enough winner) will continue to oversee the beginners program. Davis will turn over day to day management and decision making to Hill immediately but maintain a minority ownership in the company. Davis said, “I can’t say thank you enough to Dean, to our fans and to the athletes who have allowed me to play role in their careers. Wrestling has been my life for 40 years. For me, the decision was not about money it was about continuing the OVW legacy.”

On the future Hill said, “This is OVW’s next great chapter. This is the place where headliners are made. We will recruit and groom new talent and tap into our unmatched alumni roster to produce the most exciting show possible.” Hill’s first night saw the reappearance of “The Pope Elijah Burke, TNA’s Rebel and many others. He said, “If you’ve ever dreamed of being a part of OVW act now.”

OVW TV airs every Saturday at 11am and 10pm on Louisville ION affiliate WBNA-TV. Knoxville fans watch OVW TV Saturday at noon on FOX affiliate WTNZ-TV. Archive shows are available onwww.ovwrestling.com. OVW TV tapings take places every Wednesday in Davis Arena, 4400 Shepherdsville rd. Louisville, KY. 40218. Doors open at 6:30pm.

For more information on training click http://ovwrestling.com/training

Media inquiries contact press@ovwrestling.com