Dan Henderson signs a new contract

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Free agent Dan Henderson has officially signed with Strikeforce according to a press release from the promotion earlier this morning. Henderson has signed a four-fight, 16-month agreement with Strikeforce, however, a date and opponent for his debut have not yet been named.

For a few months, Henderson had been a free agent after his contract with the UFC ran out. He and UFC President Dana White were looking to renew his contract so that he could continue fighting with the organization, but they never reached an agreement.

The main source of their problems was, reportedly, the amount of money that Henderson was asking for. White recently said that Henderson's payment idea stemmed from his knowledge of how much fellow UFC fighter Tito Ortiz was getting paid.

"I'm just hoping to get out there and fight again and get paid what I would like the get paid," Henderson told MMA.Fanhouse at a recent Strikeforce event. "I'm not asking to be the top-paid guy out there at all... It's a little step up from my last pay check, but a lot less than a lot of other guys are getting paid."

Henderson's last UFC fight was at UFC 100 in July, where he defeated Michael Bisping by second-round KO in a middleweight fight. Before the bout, White had promised that the winner of the fight would get a title shot against champion Anderson Silva. However, after the fight, White changed his mind.

A title shot promise was later given to Nate Marquardt in August. After White recanted again, a match up between Henderson and Marquardt was put into place, however, Henderson was not contracted by the UFC and could not take the fight. A title shot was then given to Vitor Belfort.

Source: http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Dan-Henderson-signs-with-Strikeforce.html

I am personally excited! Being a major fan of Strikeforce and having one of the best Middleweights out there is an amazing addition. Is he a major name in terms of drawing power. Probably not but what he brings to the cage is worth it to me!

Wrestling Station

I think this news isn't new. I've read a thread about this like a month ago.

But anyway, Henderson will have his biggest fight there if they allow him to fight Fedor. That would be a good one to watch. (catch weight most probably)

phantomgerald

^^^ You got to be kidding. He just signed a few days ago. It's a press release.

I agree. His last match should be catchweight against Fedor.