• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crimson named most overrated in 2011

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
– Crimson has been named Most Overrated Wrestler in the 2011 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards. He is trailed by Mason Ryan, Kevin Nash, Mr. Anderson, Jeff Hardy, Triple H, Sin Cara, Matt Morgan, CM Punk and Randy Orton.

Regarding Crimson, Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer wrote, “Crimson is probably the prime example of a guy who isn’t overrated by fans, but pushed to a level that hasn’t really worked. He’s got size, and good facials at times, and a good look and comes across like a tough guy. But he doesn’t sell well and comes across as green, and gets exposed often in long matches. Plus, TNA can’t even book an unbeaten streak well.â€

The award, which was instituted in 1980, is determined through a voting process by the readership of the newsletter, which includes various insiders of the professional wrestling industry, such as promoters, agents and performers, as well as journalists, historians and fans.
I guess based on that you could pick Crimson. But guys like Orton, Punk & Nash on it makes no sense. Just as much love Punk gets he gets just as much hate. Orton has gotten to the point where he gets more hate than love and he was one of the best in ring performers all of last year. Nash how is it possible for him to get rated enough to get overrated? Jeff Hardy has been too fucked up on drugs to be rated positively by fans or the company so don't get that one either.

PY.

Reaction score
Punk being on the list is the dumbest thing I've seen in a minute. Aside from the IWC, casual fans just opened up to Punk.. That, and he's the main reason a lot of people started watching wrestling again ; at least a lot of people I know personally.

Crimson def. deserves this though. Pretty sad that TNA can't even book a winning streak right.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Well Samoa Joe did make Crimson look like a fool in the ring every time they faced last year. Easy choice, but the other people on this list make it unreliable.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Just too inconsistent with it you'd think if the guy was undefeated you'd make sure he was on the show every week in a match to keep it up not on T.V one week then isn't for two weeks then randomly feuds with somebody. Doesn't seem like there is even gonna be a payoff for it either.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
TNA usually only lets their wrestlers wrestle once on their tapings when they shoot two shows so I can understand why he wouldn't be booked on all the shows but still it's garbage.

Cornerstone

Reaction score
Crimson not being on every show is fine but there were times where he was gone for a month or two then just randomly pops up and fans have to be reminded who he is, let alone he undefeated. Doesn't help that he's so green that whoever he's in there with has to take 95% of the offense before he wins so neither guy looks good.

PY.

Reaction score
Crimson simply can't get over.. After that whole return of the Mafia flopping, Crimson got lost in the shuffle and no one cares about him.

Him not being on the show weekly isn't the problem as much as him not being over is. Putting him on the show weekly won't do anything for him.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
My point was him not being on the show weekly isn't helping because how can you expect the fans to get behind something that can be gone for weeks with no actual reason. Not like you're dealing with a Hulk Hogan who is gonna be over no matter how long he is gone but with Crimson considering he can barely be decent on his best day in the ring and doesn't have much to offer you better go into overdrive putting him on the show and trying to make him believable. He isn't talented enough to rise above TNA's inconsistent booking but even if he was we wouldn't know thanks to as said him showing up and then going away for a month then showing back up unannounced.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Definitely agree with this.

TNA seem to think hes the second coming of Goldberg.

Also, Anderson and Cara deserve the hon. mentions.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Anderson has become so much of an after thought that he isn't even worth mentioning anymore which is a shame cause used to care about the guy.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Anderson has become so much of an after thought that he isn't even worth mentioning anymore which is a shame cause used to care about the guy.

True, but being in TNA makes everything seem less significant.

Look at Jeff Hardy, one of the biggest stars in WWE a couple of yrs back, now reduced to feuds with generic guys like Bobby Roode.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I know I will get absolutely slated for this but I do agree that Punk has been overrated this year. Don't get me wrong, he's had a really good year and has essentially soldified himself now as a main eventer but to me personally it hasn't been amazing. His stuff with Orton around Mania time was very good and ended up being one of the highlights in all honesty and then his whole shoot stuff / MITB situation was pretty great and got alot of attention. I just thought he started to lose steam in the HHH feud then ended up with Del Rio and then Ace/Dolph.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Reason I say he isn't overrated is just for the fact that for every Punk fan who will rave about his year you'll get someone who either doesn't like him so they turn up the he's overrated stuff or you'll get the bandwagon hater who will hate on him because they wanna go away from the grain so just think it evens it all out. I think what you said could sum up his year as he did lose steam due to them not knowing how to keep his momentum going at the same high level but think what puts it over the top to make it an amazing year overall was the fact that it took one promo to make him go from uppercard guy on his way out to a main eventer where the WWE was comfortable enough to allow a PPV go by with no Cena in th slightest. So it was a success and deserves praise. Some get carried away with it, some downplay it too much so I think in the end he's rated how he should be rated.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, I personally dont like him and think hes a hack for stealing Russo's gimmick, but he got a lot of old fans watching again so he was doing something right.

Del Rio and Nash killed his momentum really.

Speaking of Del Rio, he went downhill fast too.

PY.

Reaction score
Del Rio actually should be on that list. Not sure what anyone sees in him. I find him boring, I barely understand him, and he has yet to do anything in the ring to impress me.