Could HBK have done more to put the younger talent over?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Quite simply do you feel like HBK could have put more talent over in his final wwe run? I'm a big HBk fan, and i've always thought he would go out, helping a lot of young talent. I think he did that somewhat with Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes, but he didn't really help any of the other younger guys. Maybe that's the WWE's fault. He could have mentored someone towards the end. Let's look at his final PPV Run

WM 25 - vs. Undertaker

SummerSlam DX vs. Legacy

Breaking Point DX vs. Legacy

Hell in a Cell DX vs. Legacy

Bragging Rights Team Raw vs. Team SD

Survivor Series HBK vs. HHH vs Cena

TLC - DX vs. Jericho + Big SHow

RR - RR match

WM HBK vs. Undertaker

Thoughts?? Did the WWE drop the ball with not having a Miz/HBK fued? HBK vs. Sheamus fued? A good HBK vs. Orton Fued? Perhaps saving Bourne from a attack, and teaming with him??

maty619

Reaction score
Hmmm. I would say from instinct no, he could not have done anymore, but with the undeniable evidence right in front of me I am straying towards yes. I think HBK could have gone out putting a young talent over, don't get me wrong I loved his WM 26 match and all, but he could have gone out to someone like Sheamus as you said. It certainly would have got Sheamus over big time but it would also have made a mockery of Shawn's WWE career, Sheamus is one of my faveourite current wrestlers, probably my faveourite heel at the moment but he is no way worthy of retiring a legend like HBK, I think Taker or HHH were really the only worthy ones. I think maybe a younger talent interfering with the Taker/HBK match, but then that would take away the amazingness of that match. Having thought about it I am still undecided.

Reaction score
HBK has put Randy Orton over so much the past 7 years. Unforgiven 03 Randy Orton beat HBK. Survivor Series 03 Randy Orton beat HBK in an elimination match. In 2007, Randy Orton put HBK on the shelf and retained the WWE title against HBK at survivor Series. HBK put John Cena over at Wrestlemania 23. HBK Put legacy over in 09. HBK put Jeff Hardy over on Raw in 2008 and The Miz has beaten HBK in three tag matches (once when he was with morrison and twice with big show)

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
HBk put over two of the biggest young stars in the world. Randy Orton and John Cena. I would say he did his part.

That's more than Taker can say.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I would have loved to see HBK put CM Punk over before he left :(

tazzen78

Reaction score
I think he has put over younger guys pretty well over years, in fact if you look at the last 5 years but for the tag title he has not held a singles title losing to younger champs.

kingovkings

Reaction score
HBk put over two of the biggest young stars in the world. Randy Orton and John Cena. I would say he did his part.

This ^

I would have loved to see HBK put CM Punk over before he left :(

And this ^. I would have loved to see a feud between Punk and HBK. I think that would have been pretty sick.

Montana

Reaction score

True....but that was over the span of 6 years. HBK also beat those guys as well. None the less, a good fued can help put them over. I would say HBK def. help put them over.

I was mostly talking about in the last year.

Beer

Reaction score
I'd imagine the main reason he didn't put anyone over this year because it was his final year (yeah, I imagine they did know so) and they wanted him to leave with a bang. There were lots of feuds he hadn't done at that time and also plenty of dream feuds that had to go down one way or another, so...

Kizza

Reaction score

That's a bit rough. Taker also put over both of those guys, as well as Brock Lesnar.

adhyanta

Reaction score
Pontianak, Lampung, Bandung, Jakarta - Indonesia
In terms of wrestling performance, HBK is the best teacher, that this generation of wrestling has ever produced.
Bourne could've benefitted so much from a match against Shawn Michaels. HBK can get guys who has a one-of-a kind thing about him, over easier and better than anything. Evan definitely fitted into that category.
Evan need to learn how to show more spirit, and show what it can do. Right now, he's already good in that area but it needs to get better. Then, he can beat bigger guys just using his ability, not luck.
Sheamus pick fights with better wrestlers than himself, because he wanted to be as good as them. The way he enjoyed being taught hard lessons, betrayed him. It showed a massive respect for his peers, and the dream to be on the same level as them.
The man has the heart, of a young Shawn Michaels.