Clearing the Air

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

CenaMark54

John Cena: A year later

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks of John Cena today.

I think back to about a year ago and John Cena was the most hated wrestler on the internet. Most hated his gimmick, his wrestling ability, and his booking.

I think alot of things have chnaged since then that have shed a new light on Cena.

I have always liked Cena but a lot has changed over the last year that seems to have chnaged the way others feel about him. He has become more solid in the ring, added additional moves to his set, altered his gimmick, etc.

So i'm just interested to know if your feelings have changed or if everyone is just sick of complaining about him.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I still don't like the guy, but that is mostly due to his character, and limited move set.

I know that this is most likely the result of the writers and whatnot, but I still can't stand him sucking up everytime I hear him speak.

Montana

I think some of the hatred went down for a few reasons.

A good Fued with Edge.

Improved Ring skills, lets not forget Cena is still very young and still learning the craft. He's put on some great matchups against RVD, HHH, Edge ,and Umaga this past year.

Tna, the real hardcore haters turned to tna.

I've always thought his #1 spot was earned. He was in the right place and the right time, but he also is a very hardworker, and has all the tools. Hopefully Cena can stay healthy and the wwe continues to come up wiht intersting ideas and storylines for him to help evolve his character.

As far as the superman thing, you have to think about all the young kids that watch wrestling and love cena. Thats cool for them to see cena win i guess. There is a mentally challenged guy i work with and he loves cena more than life. So in conclusion, the wwe has to be smart about how strong and how often he holds the belt. The internet wresting crowd is also smaller than all the wrestling fans. So the wwe can't always listen to the IWC.

Soulpower

I still don't like the guy... His character acutally. He's still booked as Superman, and he still tries to hard to be funny on the mic. I'll give him his due, he's stepped up when he's needed to, but in the past year his character has continue to go stale. I'm still waiting for the day when John is allowed to be himself on the mic like he was during his days on Smackdown.

Smackdown Fan

Reaction score
I not really a John Cena Fan true he is a good wrestler even with his limited move set he still puts on great matches. I just don't like his charactor and how he almost never loses the title, but all in all he is still a decent wrestler, but I still dilike him.

KANNIBAL

Reaction score
Cena will always be that rookie wearing red shorts trying to bring some ruthless aggression in my views.
Now he's a "marine". Whatever happened to the thug and the lame ass rhymes. His character sucks, and his moves are the same as always, very predictable like The Rocks Elbow drop. I just dont like him, but I dont hate him.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I think the hate on Cena has lessened in a year. I think the reason they booked him against K-Fed was to, other than advertise, put him over with all the fans. Since EVERYONE hates K-Fed, that gave Cena some face credibility. He still handles the boos like a man, unlike Batista. He still is one of the most fan friendly guys in the WWE. Even though his character is still in need of changes, I think he busts his ass trying to get a reaction.

Truth

Reaction score
He's a hardworker, pretty good in the ring (shows when you look at his earlier matches in the WWE, like his first match where he faced Angle), now they just give him a limited move set for what ever reasons, mainly his gimmick. Hey he's a hard worker, great charisma, great attitude, and well its not his fault Vince loves him and has him win a bunch of matches, lay off of that because if you truly dislike someone you'll be able to point out flaws to teh person himself.

CenaMark54

^^^I'm not sure K-fed did anything for Cena. If anyone was responsible for helping him regain face pops it was Edge.

I think there was more too it than that though. I had even more respect for John Cena for acting like a true professional through all the adversity. The easy thing for him to do would be to bitch and complain like Batista.

Look at his match at ONS 2. He was a true professional and took his lumps like a man. You have got to respect him for that.

I also know it looks like he improved in the ring, however, they are just letting him do more now. Vince as faith in Cena to be able to hold his own and even carry a match. Its something that Cena did not do a year or two ago. Its not because he couldn't wrestle, its because he was always up against Vets who controlled the matches.

JJdaBuckeye

Reaction score
the first time i started watching wrestling, I LOVED Cena. Then, when i grew more knowedgleable, i started hating him, cause of his gimmick.

I think now, I enjoy watching him more, and im slowly letting my hate for him die down. Let HBK win at WM, and Ill be ahppy

xtremebadass

John Cena ain't that bad anymore, because he faced losers like Big Show, King Booker, and Umaga, who wouldn't root for Cena? HBK is next on the list, so I am going to be rooting for HBK on this one. Cena is only going to be full face when he goes up against guys everyone truely hates not just some fans, I mean everyone

Reaction score
I still dont like him. His character to me seems too much of a fan favourite, doing the typical sucking up against the heels, and for the crowds. Everytime his music hits I know (correction, when I saw WWE) the promo/match is worth missing. I just cant stand the guy in the ring...

His movesets are still limited compared to some wrestlers, and this is not a good thing. What sort of wrestler is he? He isnt a high flyer (Hardys/Yang), he isnt hardcore (ECW), he isnt all powerful (Batista), technically sound (Benoit). Sure enough he has had his moments, and his performance at ONS2 was class, but he hasnt done anything great to leave an imprint on my mind. Right now Cena is just all over that belt, and it annoys me.

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
i don't think i'll ever like cena, i don't know what it is but i just can't stand him at all,i do agree that alot of this has to do with the booking and yes he is a hard worker(and no one can deny that)but like i said theres something about him i just can't stand.

now i learned my lesson from last year(with the whole ons stuff) so i'm going to just end it there

Nation

Well right now cena is the best champion. Lashley and Batista don't even compare to him. I like cena but i would like him a lot more if he got his ass kicked by orton and lost the title. So hopefully after he beats HBK. Orton will win the title.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Cena still sucks period.His character is tired and lame and so is his move set.He does NOT deserve to be the WWE champ for this long,its starting to make me sick seriously.If HBK dosent win the title then **** WWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.