• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris Jericho Addresses Possible Retirement, Says “WWE Lives In Its Own Worldâ€￾ Read

Re: Chris Jericho Addresses Possible Retirement, Says “WWE Lives In Its Own Worldâ€￾ R

It's good for Jericho to act on a future away from wrestling. How many guys in the business have said they do it not just because they love it, but because they believe it's all they are capable of doing in life? How many guys beat their bodies beyond reason, well beyond the prime of their earning power because that's the only way they know how to make a living anymore? How many died young; and how many of those were unable to adjust to live after wrestling?

Of course the WWE doesn't want anyone working on anything else. They own these bodies and souls and commodities. They stand to allow these guys to make a ton of money if they hit it big, but as commodities, they'll do what they can to use these guys up. What Jericho said there was very true for when Hogan worked for Vince's dad. You either worked for him exclusively or you don't work for him at all. Vince's company tried to play revisionist history by acting like it was folly of his old man to fire Hulk Hogan for taking a part in Rocky III, but more often than not, that's not really changed at all. They just learned to use these guys to their own benefit more than anything.

There was some former WWE writer that claimed to do stand up comedy part time and the WWE wasn't on board with him doing anything other than working for them.

I could totally see why the WWE would be hostile towards Jericho doing that. He's repeatedly showing that he doesn't need them as much as they need his services. Sets a bad example for the boys.

Undertaker

Re: Chris Jericho Addresses Possible Retirement, Says “WWE Lives In Its Own Worldâ€￾ R

The thing with WWE and the majority of its fans is that they don't like their wrestlers going away and pursuing other interests. Whether that is because we know that the product will be poorer without them I don't know but it's no secret that The Rock hasn't impressed many long time fans when he left and returned and then those stories started to appear about how much he had changed. Everyone knows Vince McMahon loves his money and I guess that he wants his wrestlers to stay in the company for as long as possible and to not do anything out of the industry unless its affiliated with the WWE. The only guy not to get any critique about leaving WWE and going on to make movies is Steve Austin but I believe it's because of his personality more than anything. If McMahon got on his nerves or Austin was being pestered about leaving he would tell people where to go because he achieved everything. Chris Jericho and WWE haven't exactly had the best of relationships and to be fair Jericho probably run past his sell-by-date after his feud with Shawn Michaels in 2008.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||

The thing with WWE and the majority of its fans is that they don't like their wrestlers going away and pursuing other interests. Whether that is because we know that the product will be poorer without them I don't know but it's no secret that The Rock hasn't impressed many long time fans when he left and returned and then those stories started to appear about how much he had changed. Everyone knows Vince McMahon loves his money and I guess that he wants his wrestlers to stay in the company for as long as possible and to not do anything out of the industry unless its affiliated with the WWE. The only guy not to get any critique about leaving WWE and going on to make movies is Steve Austin but I believe it's because of his personality more than anything. If McMahon got on his nerves or Austin was being pestered about leaving he would tell people where to go because he achieved everything. Chris Jericho and WWE haven't exactly had the best of relationships and to be fair Jericho probably run past his sell-by-date after his feud with Shawn Michaels in 2008.
Thank god it's not up to the WWE fans to decide what a wrestler does with his life.

And Austin retired because of a neck condition. He couldn't wrestle anymore. The Rock was still in top physical shape. That was the reason the fans treated Rock differently.
I could totally see why the WWE would be hostile towards Jericho doing that. He's repeatedly showing that he doesn't need them as much as they need his services. Sets a bad example for the boys.
Explain just how WWE is in such dire need of Jericho, because most of the time Jericho spends his time in the mid-card scene losing. WWE has actually done a great deal to prove they don't need him.

Also explain to me how it sets a bad example for other wrestlers. How is getting out while you're still in good physical condition, finally tend to your family, and pursue other interests a bad example? Seems quite the opposite to me, really. I mean seriously, how DARE this man for having other talents, right?

Undertaker

Thank god it's not up to the WWE fans to decide what a wrestler does with his life.
I agree, which is why I fully support wrestlers leaving the industry and trying to excel in other things.

And Austin retired because of a neck condition. He couldn't wrestle anymore. The Rock was still in top physical shape. That was the reason the fans treated Rock differently.
I know why Steve Austin retired but he must of had the 'movies' idea in the back of his mind. If his neck was injured that badly I wouldn't have expected him to be starring in all these action movies where violence is being used the majority of the time. Obviously, he may have a stuntman there but Austin isn't really that big a star...in the film industry.

Last edited:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||

I agree, which is why I fully support wrestlers leaving the industry and trying to excel in other things.

I know why Steve Austin retired but he must of had the 'movies' idea in the back of his mind. If his neck was injured that badly I wouldn't have expect him to be starring in all these action movies where violence is being used the majority of the time. Obviously, he may have a stuntman there but Austin isn't really that big a star...in the film industry.

Well I mean really, what other kinds of movies would you expect to see Austin casted in? I agree he's not that big of a star in Hollywood, but I also couldn't see the guy doing serious movies. He has a show on CMT now which is a bit different, but a guy like him could always find ways to make money on camera. It's really either that or spend the rest of his days sitting at home drinking beer and nobody wants that.

Undertaker

Well I mean really, what other kinds of movies would you expect to see Austin casted in? I agree he's not that big of a star in Hollywood, but I also couldn't see the guy doing serious movies. He has a show on CMT now which is a bit different, but a guy like him could always find ways to make money on camera. It's really either that or spend the rest of his days sitting at home drinking beer and nobody wants that.
None.

He isn't a very good film actor. It's a huge step from being a good actor on television shows to being a good actor in films. Steve Austin's films are corny and predictable. His films do not have to reflect his personality and reading through the reviews his wrestling past always gets brought up so people are seeing Stone Cold first and Steve Austin second which isn't really what you want if you are trying to sell films not only to wrestling fans but to the masses because wrestling is seen as a joke.

Embrace Thou Maryse

None.

He isn't a very good film actor. It's a huge step from being a good actor on television shows to being a good actor in films. Steve Austin's films are corny and predictable. His films do not have to reflect his personality and reading through the reviews his wrestling past always gets brought up so people are seeing Stone Cold first and Steve Austin second which isn't really what you want if you are trying to sell films not only to wrestling fans but to the masses because wrestling is seen as a joke.

Part of the reason why The Rock distanced himself from wrestling for so long and its payed off for him. Just compare the film careers of Rock and Austin, though I guess it helps Rock has a much better look for big films, Austin just looks like a redneck.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||

None.

Yeah I see what you mean, but I guess I'm just one of those people who has no problem with seeing Stone Cold first. Besides, if I ever saw him make a serious attempt at drama, I have a feeling I would be disappointed. He still makes a great badass though.

I would miss Jericho very much if he retired but he should do what he enjoys and if the WWE doesn't want him to focus on other things besides his wrestling career, he has every right to leave.

The Cork

Banned

In another recent interview he said he's working on another should be out middle of next year I believe.

How much more has he got to say, like seriously bro you aren't that interesting.

"yeah, failed as a game show host, toured some rinky dink town halls with Fozzy, etc"

Whatever.

Troy

Jericho is one of the smartest guys in wrestling. He knows what he is worth and he knows how to play WWE and the fans for all he can. He leaves WWE to do what he wants, music, and then returns when they are absolutely desperate for stars so that he gets top dollar. He will no doubt return sometime in the future for another Road to Wrestlemania, work the big three PPVs and walk away with another massive paycheck.

I am another that can't wait for the next book, really enjoyed his first two.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||

How much more has he got to say, like seriously bro you aren't that interesting.

"yeah, failed as a game show host, toured some rinky dink town halls with Fozzy, etc"

Whatever.
While I don't agree with your opinion of Jericho, I do agree that 3 books is pretty excessive for any celebrity. I mean really, how many autobiographies does someone need?

Though if he was writing fiction, it would be different. Frankly, it would be pretty crazy to read a horror story written by Chris Jericho. :p

Troy

While I don't agree with your opinion of Jericho, I do agree that 3 books is pretty excessive for any celebrity. I mean really, how many autobiographies does someone need?

Though if he was writing fiction, it would be different. Frankly, it would be pretty crazy to read a horror story written by Chris Jericho. :p

He has done well to break the books into segments of his career and that is why I think he can easily get another book out of his career. His first covered everything up to his WWF debut, his second from his WWF career back to his return in 07, and his third can cover his very successful last five years in WWE which included the biggest mainevent run of his career.

I will admit that the most interesting thing to me was the way he worked his way up to WWE but I still find his takes on what happened whilst in WWE interesting.

PHX

Legacy Member

I agree with his point about the if you're not with us you're against us mentality that WWE seems to have. If they can't get their hands on what you're doing they turn their nose up at you. I think that's kind of why they let Ryder's push fall through because he got popular on something WWE had no hand in. I get the thinking that they don't want to lose any wrestlers to outside workings but same time these wrestlers have to have a life outside of wrestling sometimes.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||

Yeah you can't expect every wrestler to divorce their wife when duty calls. :Cena3: