Chris Benoit was taking Drugs, WWE lies and Vince McMahon Reputation down!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

C4

If the news breaking today that Chris Benoit was being supplied with ten months worth of anabolic steroids every three to four weeks by Dr. Phil Astin turns out to be accurate, this will make World Wrestling Entertainment look extremely bad stemming from their press release comments last week.

U.S. Attorney David Nahmias reported that on average, Benoit was reportedly getting a ten-month supply of anabolic steroids every three to four weeks during a period from May 4, 2006 to May 9, 2007 from Dr. Astin. So, the April 10, 2007 WWE drug test that Benoit passed was right in the middle of that time period, making earlier claims by WWE look like a joke now to the media and a huge blow to the company overall.

Records are showing that Dr. Astin prescribed over 1 million doses of numerous drugs over the last two years, many of which were prescription painkillers and anabolic steroids. Many of the prescriptions were un-dated, which is illegal. - Said one federal agent about Dr. Phil Astin: "Dr. Astin allegedly prescribed these drugs like candy. Dirty doctors should be on notice that they face federal prosecution and federal prison time."

The early reaction to this news has to be complete credibility loss for WWE when it comes to the company's Wellness Policy. And with Benoit more than likely being tested throughout the year, it is pretty much impossible to have any form of confidence in the drug policy with the release of this information contradicting everything. It should be noted that Benoit was off for many months in 2006 and likely was not tested by WWE during that period, but it's believed he was tested at least four times minimum during a period where he was taking very heavy doses of anabolic steroids based on the timeline provided by investigators today.

It's now been made public that Benoit was arguing with his wife Nancy over his increased use of steroids at the same time he was subject to a drug testing policy. WWE announcing that Benoit passed a drug test on April 10 is something that can no longer hold up among public opinion now that these facts have been released, especially with it taking place well into the beginning of the Wellness policy being implemented. There are numerous possibilities on how Benoit may have been passing tests. Either WWE's testing is very flawed, Benoit found a way to beat the tests or the drug tests were a cover (although that could be disputed with wrestlers such as Chris Masters and Joey Mercury being subject to them not long ago).

Dave Meltzer provided an excellent commentary on this situation saying quote: "This is the first time when I truly fear that wrestling as we know it not only will be undergoing great changes, but that as bad as Vince McMahon's reputation is in some circles, and even with his history of rebounding from negatives, this will tarnish it to a level that he may never live to fully turn around. There will be a far increased number of cries in the media over the next week, which have already started, to do something about the industry. Between the advertisers, sponsors, and those action figures with the muscular physiques, this is not a story going away soon."

Reaction score
chris was not a big man so he didn't exibit the kind of freak of nature physique that would arise suspicions but vince is at his best when his back is against the wall so he'll find a way to get out of this tight corner.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Were the ones he was giving to Benoit perscription drugs or not?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Don't see how this can ever remotely be blamed on Vince.

If Benoit was tested for steroids and the tests came back pisitive, but benoit had a prescription, legit or not, then he was in the clear. It is not Vince's or the WWE's responsibility to check up on all the wrestlers prescriptions.

.tim

Reaction score
WTF. How come my benoit topic gets locked but not this guys this is total BS.

Y2JFan

Reaction score
I still don't see how an individual deciding to take medication--either appropriately or inappropriately--in any way can be the fault of WWE/Vince McMahon.

I think it's even a stretch penalizing the doctor. Benoit's medicine was prescribed to him by a physician who obviously believed the prescription was warranted. These medications exist for a reason, as they serve a purpose.

How can the police decide when a doctor should or should not have prescribed steroids or painkillers to a patient? How can they gauge when it becomes no longer proper to prescribe such medications, and just being a "dirty doctor"?
They, being neither doctor nor patient.

A lot of these guys are living with chronic severe pain, with bodies that are constantly trying to heal from a variety of injuries. What might not be appropriate for the everyday patient, might be a different story for them.

And if an individual legally obtains a medication, yet makes the decision to abuse or misuse it, the blame should fall on no one but that individual for the results of doing so.

Acideyez

Reaction score
No they can easily penalize a doctor. I was a pharmacy Technician for awhile,and I know in the state of Indiana for any controlled substances,which include steroids a doctor has to sign the scrip,and it has to be dated!! If it's not dated we will not fill it.So wherever he got it filled could get in alot of trouble as well,unless the doctor ever wrote out a new one.This all depends on state law of course. I know here we are pretty strict about controll substances.And I think how the media is going to see it is,Benoit was using steriods and with their wellness program,they bieleve it should've violated it,and he should've been reprimanded but he wasn't. And we all know the media will twist everything into their biased view.However if he was legally taking them then he was,and either way WWE is a company and they may wish to put whatever rules down they wish.It just has to be within obvious lawful reasons.

Reaction score
First off, quote your sources. Second, I dont see why it matters what he was taking or blah blah blah. Benoit didn't really look as big as some one on steroids. As well, it still doesnt condone him killing his wife and kid. So when their is a news report that says he didnt kill them, the WWE has not taken a hit of any kind. Also, until a toxiciology report comes out that says Benoit was taking the drugs, this is also invalidated. Because he recieved them doenst mean that he used. Remember those key facts people. In my mind the WWE will not take a hit from this news. It just backs their theory of removing Benoit from everything for using steroids.