Charlie Hass Announces Retirement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
Former WWE star Charlie Haas announced he was officially retired tonight in Asheville, NC following what appeared to have been his farewell match for Ring of Honor.

Haas cut a promo before the match putting over the ROH roster before losing to Jeff Louis Neal, an independent wrestler based out of the Carolinas.

On his Twitter account, Haas wrote, "Officially retired. No match against @Sheltyb803 nxt week NYC. Time to be a full time dad and husband. I've turned my spandex in for scrubs. Thanks to all the fans throughout the years. I love you all. Stay safe and God bless. WGTT will always be a top Tag Team, forever."
We hope to have more on this later today.

I find this really odd. Surely he would retire against Shelton on a ROH iPPV. Strange that he would decide to retire on a house show against a local wrestler rather than someone he has so much history with. Is this even legit?

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
will he now be consider a Haas Been?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Ba-dum-tss

Looking at his career he was a solid hand that excelled as a tag team wrestler. On his own he just didn't have enough personality to pull anything off and to get the crowd behind his character. WGTT was a fantastic tag team and they worked so well as part of Team Angle in the early days. Nice that they got to team together once again in ROH after Shelton was released.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
If he can move on to bigger and better things, then good on him. He was lost in the lower midcard shuffle for so long, that I'm glad to see him move on in life. It's sad seeing guys tromping around the indies until they're 60, broke and drunk.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He has a degree in economics and business and used to work as a stockbroker so he should be well set for after wrestling. At least he is one of the guys smart enough to get a college degree first so that they have something to fall back on once their career ends.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Apparently he was intoxicated too, from what I read here: ROH News: Charlie Haas unexpectedly retires in strange fashion

Former WWE, and current ROH, star Charlie Haas announced his retirement from wrestling on Saturday before a match with Jeff Louis Neal at the ROH show in Asheville, NC. Haas came to the ring to start the second half of the show, and cut a long, and sometimes rambling, promo about his history in wrestling and having done enough. He wrestled the match, and then stayed in the ring after the match and drew cheers from the crowd. Someone on the ROH staff waved him to come to the back twice, and Haas flipped him off both times. He asked for a mic but was not given one after the match, so he cut a similar promo by just yelling it into the crowd.

During both promos, he called out ROH booker Delirious (a/k/a Hunter Johnston) and ROH commentator Kevin Kelly, specifically referring to Kelly as a "fat piece of shit," for "all the things they say" about him. Haas was visibly shaken and cried during the entire match and later in the locker room. He changed and packed quickly, leaving the building in an agitated state.

Haas later went on to tweet: "Officially retired. No match against [Shelton Benjamin] next week NYC. Time to be a full time dad and husband. I've turned my spandex in for scrubs. Thanks to all the fans throughout the years. I love you all. Stay safe and God bless. WGTT will always be a top Tag Team, forever."

Shore's Slant: Haas appeared to be intoxicated and was heard having words with several people backstage during the final match before intermission, including Delirious and Kelly, which may explain why he took shots at them specifically. The situation was addressed in a post-show meeting with the locker room, and all signs point to this being Haas's unexpected last night.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Can't say I'm not disappointed because I am. One last match with Benjamin would have been a lot more memorable. If he was drunk then I feel ashamed for him. Why the Hell would you do that for your last appearance? Kind of childish. Oh well, I always liked him and always hoped he would have found his niche in some other company where he could possibly elevate his skills on the mic and work on his personality.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
That's really strange. Haas never came across as a guy that could breakdown like that, although I guess no one really does.

I'm hearing various reports elsewhere that he also said something pretty nasty to Nigel McGuinness, and confronted Grizzly Redwood backstage. Don't know if it's true, but that's what I heard from people who were in attendance.

I don't think he'll actually retire, it could be just a heat of the moment thing (although it's probably fair to say that he's done with ROH). If he is retired though, it's a pretty sad way to go out.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah, this is really weird news, Haas was always one I enjoyed watching in the ring, really would have liked to see him in the match with Shelton. Hopefully they'll get everything worked out and it still happens.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Perhaps he is just taking some time off to take care of his family. That I can understand. But if he was in fact drunk and all the stuff that's been reported, he obviously doesn't care if he gets to go back to ROH or not.

HB_Punk

Reaction score
I was always a fan of the WGTT, but if he was Drunk let me go into the wind we don't need another Jake The Snake.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If true about him being drunk and taking shots at people it is a terrible way to go out. Surely you wait a week, wrestle Shelton and go out on good terms.

Reaction score
It's bizarre and odd, defiantly a shame if all of this is true but as it has been mentioned, Haas has a degree to fall back on. Is this a major lost, naw. Haas could do the mat wrestling but lack any form of legitimate Charisma to go far.

Butttt, this could be a work entirely.