Can Chris Jericho Still Deliver a Quality Match For WM?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm saying Jericho has never been a wm show stealer. The closest he came was with hbk but it was nowhere near as good as the likes of Cena, HHH, Benoit, Angle, or Taker working with shawn on that stage. He's been solid like a Rey but I can think if many other guys who have put on better performance on that platform.

Blujay

Reaction score
Its Punk and Jericho. Are you telling me that Cena and Punk could pull off match of the year last year at Money in the Bank but Punk and Jericho can't do it this year?

SAL

Reaction score
You do understand that, even when you don't see someone wrestling, they're still practicing wrestling, right?

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
jerichos most recent return just feels a bit flat to me.it might be the booking but hes just missing something heck hes even wearing the same tights he did before he left.i think jericho can have a great match at mania but something tells me its not gonna be a classic.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Maybe if Jericho wasn't being left in the backburner for Cena/Rock and Taker/Trips than his feud with Punk would actually feel like it means something. But again the toopic of this thread could actually concern Rock or Taker. Seeing as both haven't seen much in ring time.

Also, Jericho has Lance Storm helping him regain his timing. not worried about Jericho blowing us away another time.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Its Punk and Jericho. Are you telling me that Cena and Punk could pull off match of the year last year at Money in the Bank but Punk and Jericho can't do it this year?
I'm saying Cena is a better big match player than Jericho, always has been and always will be. Laugh at his number of moves, his technique, his corny shtick, whatever because when the lights are on bright and it is time to deliver he shows up and shows why he is the man and Jericho (many others too) never could be. Cena creates an electric atmosphere and is a showmen which GTS fans hanging on everything much more so than Jericho can ever dream of off his great wrestling. Jerichos best matches have not been versus great grapplers, but they have come from guys who were pure showmen with the lights on and world watching like Rock, HHH, Shawn, and so on.

Do you really doubt that two of the greatest 10 superstars of all time in the company's history (Cena will be there and is there right now hated or not) will be outdone by Jericho and Punk? Do you doubt that Rock who has had classics that will always be remembered of anything jericho has done at his peak with the likes of HhH, Austin, Hogan, Taker, and countless others despite not being technically sound will not bring it? Do you doubt that the Cena who went a hour with HBK, tore houses down with Edge, battled with Dave, and walked into ONS where he was hated and soaked it all up only to deliver will not show up in the biggest match of his career at WrestleMania?

The same can be applied for Taker and HHH as their list of great and memorable matches and moments are piled high in comparison to Jericho when at his peak he was never close and past their peaks, Taker and HHH have routinely been better in big matches than him.

Jericho and Punk should go for a 4 star match IMO. I will not sell Taker, HHH, Rock, or Cena short though as they have always been better than Chris and have always delivered far more under pressure. I think those 4 men will leave far more of themselves in that ring than him, much like they have done for years in the past. Just might be me though

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
You do understand that, even when you don't see someone wrestling, they're still practicing wrestling, right?
Practice! We not talking about a match, not a match, not a match, but practicing for a match? Practice?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm saying Cena is a better big match player than Jericho, always has been and always will be. Laugh at his number of moves, his technique, his corny shtick, whatever because when the lights are on bright and it is time to deliver he shows up and shows why he is the man and Jericho (many others too) never could be. Cena creates an electric atmosphere and is a showmen which GTS fans hanging on everything much more so than Jericho can ever dream of off his great wrestling. Jerichos best matches have not been versus great grapplers, but they have come from guys who were pure showmen with the lights on and world watching like Rock, HHH, Shawn, and so on.

Do you really doubt that two of the greatest 10 superstars of all time in the company's history (Cena will be there and is there right now hated or not) will be outdone by Jericho and Punk? Do you doubt that Rock who has had classics that will always be remembered of anything jericho has done at his peak with the likes of HhH, Austin, Hogan, Taker, and countless others despite not being technically sound will not bring it? Do you doubt that the Cena who went a hour with HBK, tore houses down with Edge, battled with Dave, and walked into ONS where he was hated and soaked it all up only to deliver will not show up in the biggest match of his career at WrestleMania?

The same can be applied for Taker and HHH as their list of great and memorable matches and moments are piled high in comparison to Jericho when at his peak he was never close and past their peaks, Taker and HHH have routinely been better in big matches than him.

Jericho and Punk should go for a 4 star match IMO. I will not sell Taker, HHH, Rock, or Cena short though as they have always been better than Chris and have always delivered far more under pressure. I think those 4 men will leave far more of themselves in that ring than him, much like they have done for years in the past. Just might be me though
Think you're overrating Rock as an in ring performer personally. Rock has been in classics but he isn't exactly a great in ring performer but a good one. Cena has been in more big matches than Jericho so that comparison is kinda lopsided. Rock/Cena will automatically have the best atmosphere of the night however when it comes down to actual match quality Punk/Jericho have a shot to have the best match of the night if they aren't screwed time wise. Not saying Rock/Cena or Taker/HHH can't be the best match of the night but I wouldn't sell short on Punk and Jericho being motivated to tear the house down because they have Cena/Rock & Taker/HHH looming.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have no doubt that Jericho will be able to deliver a quality match at WM. He isn't some new performer wrestling on his first big PPV, he is a veteran who has been there many times before and he knows what he has to do to get it done. It does help him that he has CM Punk in the opposite corner since it means that Jericho won't have to do all the work, he is in there with another quality wrestler who has had some great matches in WWE. Everyone will want to steal the show at WM and it will be no different for these two, Jericho will want to show that he can still go and that WWE should have paid more attention to his title feud.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Think you're overrating Rock as an in ring performer personally. Rock has been in classics but he isn't exactly a great in ring performer but a good one. Cena has been in more big matches than Jericho so that comparison is kinda lopsided. Rock/Cena will automatically have the best atmosphere of the night however when it comes down to actual match quality Punk/Jericho have a shot to have the best match of the night if they aren't screwed time wise. Not saying Rock/Cena or Taker/HHH can't be the best match of the night but I wouldn't sell short on Punk and Jericho being motivated to tear the house down because they have Cena/Rock & Taker/HHH looming.

Rock had Pat Patterson overlooking all his matches and he was a damn great wrestler.

Now Jericho and Punk will only be alloted so much time, and better not be after Trips/Taker or Cena/Rock because they would be left scrambling and hotshotting the match like Cena and Miz had to last year.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like Jericho vs Punk may be the opening match, not sure I agree with this choice considering it will de value the WWE Title even more, but it should get some good time to get the crowd into the PPV.

Oh and Chad, one question, what did Jericho do after his last break?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't think that it will devalue the title at all opening Mania. The quality of the match will determine if the title is devalued or not. WWE need to spread out the three big matches, this one, HIAC and Cena/Rock. Cena/Rock will obviously close, HIAC needs to go middle and so this will have to bite the bullet and open the show with a bang.