Can Chris Jericho Still Deliver a Quality Match For WM?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chadillac

Reaction score
It seems to me, when Y2J has wrestled, his ring rust has really shown. Also his wind is basicly nothing. Anything beyond 5 minutes and he is gassed. His timing has been off and the eve-in-flow of his matches have been somewhat quorky.

I mean its not Booker T bad...Where he almost managed to get Cody injured but his prep has been suspect.

I their a chance Punk or Jericho will get hurt B/C of this? Yes. I just hope he really spends the next three weeks going wall to wall with Punk, to shake that rust off...if he can. If not, it may be the most dissapointing match on the card.

And I dont want to see that happen to Punk at such a critical event. I am wondering if this is more of a "selling" job, rather than an actual planned 5 star match.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I actually thought for a second that you have something else other then Cody.

Jericho is still.one of the best in ring to question if he will have a good match with Punk yes they will have a classic a match to remember.

And jericho didn't didn't do a good enough job Cody is still around.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think Jericho will be more than fine to work a 15 minute match by the time Mania comes around. He's working house shows right? He'll be legit by the event at least and I'm sure the match will at least be on the level of his match with Edge from a couple years back. Also, Punk is better than Edge inside a ring so that only helps my defense here.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I'm really uncertain as to what match your basing this off of? Elimination Chamber he was taken out of action rather quickly for the story line. Matches on Raw are always short and that has nothing to do with whether or not Chris Jericho is in them.

Now does have ring rust I dunno but it wouldn't be uncommon for a guy out of action to have ring rust. To insinuate that he's going to injury someone is just absurd and has no merit. If he or others thought it was at that point he wouldn't be in the ring.

Chadillac

Reaction score
I'm really uncertain as to what match your basing this off of? Elimination Chamber he was taken out of action rather quickly for the story line. Matches on Raw are always short and that has nothing to do with whether or not Chris Jericho is in them.

Now does have ring rust I dunno but it wouldn't be uncommon for a guy out of action to have ring rust. To insinuate that he's going to injury someone is just absurd and has no merit. If he or others thought it was at that point he wouldn't be in the ring.

Ring rust can most certainly get someone hurt. In fact, it's been the basis for numerous injuries. Highly respected wrestlers get preferential treatment according to draw power, what they have accomplished, and good connections. That is just human natue. He is being jugded by his history, which is great. But it doesnt change the fact that ring-rust can cause injury. Will it? Probably not, but it's a red flag and it has happened.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Did I say it hasn't happend? No

I asked what match of Jerichos since his return your basing your assesment on? Which one makes you think he's got the type of ring rust that would cause an injury?

If your saying Jericho has been gone so he's got ring rust and could hurt someone why pick Jericho? Why not Taker HHH The Rock?

Last edited:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
You've neglected to mention that Jericho has a very clean record when it comes to injuries. Jericho has always been a go-to guy in the mid-upper card as an all-rounder who can deliver under whatever circumstances; I think he's fine to wrestle one match. Not to mention he's been on the active roster since RR and working house shows. I think the question of ring rust is out of the equation.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Did I say it hasn't happend? No

I asked what match of Jerichos since his return your basing your assesment on? Which one makes you think he's got the type of ring rust that would cause an injury?

If your saying Jericho has been gone so he's got ring rust and could hurt someone why pick Jericho? Why not Taker HHH The Rock?

B/C HHH and Taker, and The Rock are not expected for deliver high quality wrestling matches. Just emotion and entertainment. The Rock and Cena will not be putting on a "Wrestling Clinic". Neither will HHH and Taker. Plus, HHH and Taker do this all the time with popping up for one or two big events. It's Jericho and Punk that are expected to deliver a wrestling clinic. Have you not been watching? And I have seen enough of Jericho to evaluate that he is geting gassed easily and it strugleing to keep the flow of the limmited spots he has been put in place to work. I can see when something isn't right. But he could very well go on to deliver a great match.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I actually thought for a second that you have something else other then Cody.

Jericho is still.one of the best in ring to question if he will have a good match with Punk yes they will have a classic a match to remember.

And jericho didn't didn't do a good enough job Cody is still around.
You mean Booker?

Yes, next thread please.
This is actually a good thread for discussions of ring rust. Jericho may not seem like the rustiest to us but you could still comment on your opinion of why he's not rusty.

Yes this is a thread by Chad25 but it's still a decent topic, flaming and spam aren't required you don't like the topic don't post simple as that.

B/C HHH and Taker, and The Rock are not expected for deliver high quality wrestling matches. Just emotion and entertainment. The Rock and Cena will not be putting on a "Wrestling Clinic". Neither will HHH and Taker. Plus, HHH and Taker do this all the time with popping up for one or two big events. It's Jericho and Punk that are expected to deliver a wrestling clinic. Have you not been watching? And I have seen enough of Jericho to evaluate that he is geting gassed easily and it strugleing to keep the flow of the limmited spots he has been put in place to work. I can see when something isn't right. But he could very well go on to deliver a great match.

Actually I do know what your referring too when you say he's gassed and I think it's a work. I think he's trying to show his age to help sell Punk as the young guy full of piss and vinegar.

But being winded and being rusty are not the same in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadillac

Reaction score
You've neglected to mention that Jericho has a very clean record when it comes to injuries. Jericho has always been a go-to guy in the mid-upper card as an all-rounder who can deliver under whatever circumstances; I think he's fine to wrestle one match. Not to mention he's been on the active roster since RR and working house shows. I think the question of ring rust is out of the equation.

I didnt neglect to mention his history at all:
He is being jugded by his history, which is great.[/QUOE]

Maybe you neglected to fully read some of my responces?

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I didnt neglect to mention his history at all:
He is being jugded by his history, which is great.[/QUOE]

Maybe you neglected to fully read some of my responces?

That's because I was responding to your original post. My point remains the same though.

Blujay

Reaction score
Rust happens. Botches happen. I haven't noticed any significant rust on Jericho's part since returning. Being winded? That'll come with age but it happens regardless. Especially when you work at the pace they do. That's why restholds are implemented ;) Last week on RAW in the opening segment in the tag match between Punk/Sheamus and Bryan/Jericho, Punk and Jericho went hard for a good 2-3 minutes to give a taste of what they can do together. Their Mania match is going to be amazing. This is not an opinion, its just the way it is. If they don't pull off a 5 star match then I'll eat a dick.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Chad, please can you make a thread without mentioning Cody?

Jericho and Punk will be a great match, and I don't know where you've got the idea of any of the things you mentioned happeneing. Jericho actually looks in better shape now, then he did in his last run, he's cut and has a six pack rather then a fat belly, so if he can work with a fat belly, I'm sure he can work with a six pack lol.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Show stealing? Nope as he has never come close on that stage outside HBK being well HBK. He can give you a damn good match but not 5 star (i struggle to think of any 5 star wwe matches he has had since he first showed up as Y2J) and IMO it will be a distant third to Rock/Cena and HHH/Taker as all 4 men have always been better than him at putting on a show that gets the fans wrapped up

And if you are talking about him looking a step slow in their lil 3 min burst with one another, that was the desired goal. He WAS the best in the world, Punk claims he IS the best in the world and Jericho has lost a step. That little sequence was Punk saying see but it is no different than an old vet lulling you into false security so they can pull it out, think of how many times HBK had the did he still have it questions asked when he first came back in 02 and 03, and then think of how many times he showed he still had more in his tank than most ever will have. That is what they want to do with Jericho on a smaller scale

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Show stealing? Nope as he has never come close on that stage outside HBK being well HBK. He can give you a damn good match but not 5 star (i struggle to think of any 5 star wwe matches he has had since he first showed up as Y2J) and IMO it will be a distant third to Rock/Cena and HHH/Taker as all 4 men have always been better than him at putting on a show that gets the fans wrapped up

And if you are talking about him looking a step slow in their lil 3 min burst with one another, that was the desired goal. He WAS the best in the world, Punk claims he IS the best in the world and Jericho has lost a step. That little sequence was Punk saying see but it is no different than an old vet lulling you into false security so they can pull it out, think of how many times HBK had the did he still have it questions asked when he first came back in 02 and 03, and then think of how many times he showed he still had more in his tank than most ever will have. That is what they want to do with Jericho on a smaller scale
I'll leave the whole 5 star thing up in the air but his ladder match with Beniot, Benoit/Jericho vs Power Trip, His mania match vs HBK as well as his ladder match with HBK, LMS at fully loaded with HHH in 2000, etc are all show stealing level matches easily. Unless you're strictly talking mania matches here.