Can a finish make or break a match for you?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
I think it used to in the past, but I have chilled out a bit now. I look at the result as a separate entity, I know it's all pre-planned so that personally helps me. I know the ideal booking choice usually isn't how it goes.

With that being said, a great finish can definitely enhance a match. If you have just an okay match with a shit finish, I'm going to forget about it really quickly.

Reason I ask is there is many times a show will finish and people will say it was trash just based on the results or their favourite guy didn't win. I have personally come on to the internet after enjoying a show and nobody gives any of the matches any credit because they hated the results.

This happens a lot when I re-visit matches as well. Sometimes in the past I wrote matches off because of the results (when I cared a lot) and I realize they were actually not that bad.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
A finish can make or break that match for me yeah. A lot of times I can separate it as "great match, poor finish" but sometimes it's just too bad. The main event of a show I weigh pretty high on my overall enjoyment as well so if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that sucks but specifically the finish of a main event, if the match is otherwise good, won't really make me hate a WHOLE PPV like I've seen before lol

Also on the flipside, I can be kinda bored with a match but if the finish is just absolutely amazing I'll end up liking it. Can't think of any real examples of that happening though tbh

TOP GUY TIME

Goodbye!
Reaction score
IMO, you are more likely to remember the ending of a match than some of the spots, so that definitely will affect your opinion on stuff. Like the double Nut SHot in Backlash 2018. Meh show, brought to poop by Styles/Nakamura. Or the Main Event will make a show. Austin/Rock is probably the reason WM 17 is regarded so highly

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Absolutely it can, you only gotta go back a few weeks ago to whatever the name of that AEW exploding shit was.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Absolutely it can, you only gotta go back a few weeks ago to whatever the name of that AEW exploding shit was.

Seems like the only people that ruined the PPV for were people that didn't watch in the first place :bosque

Reactions: Buffy and Vegeta

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
if the match is otherwise good, won't really make me hate a WHOLE PPV like I've seen before lol

Yeah lol, that is what I was talking about. I have definitely seen that before on the internet, seems a bit extreme. I think it's because some people get so caught up in the moment.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
the botches and Itoh&Rosa/Riho/Baker ruined it for me :bosque

Man said the PPV was ruined for him by a pre-show match :mj4 This is why I can't discuss AEW with you Blaine.

Another example I thought of is the Hogan/Piper match at like SuperBrawl I think it was (they had a few) where the finish was just horribly botched and match wasn't all that great in the first place....kinda killed the whole PPV too lol

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I think one of the prime examples I have of letting a finish ruin a GREAT match is Brock vs. Cena at Extreme Rules 2012. Brock should have won that match, and it was very weird to see Cena suddenly win at the end. That result soured me on the match for years until I went back to it.

That was an incredible match, especially for PG era.

15.jpg

The result made me forget how good that show was on an overall level. Very solid show. It's why I stopped putting so much stock in to the end of the show.

Reactions: Buffy and Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think one of the prime examples I have of letting a finish ruin a GREAT match is Brock vs. Cena at Extreme Rules 2012. Brock should have won that match, and it was very weird to see Cena suddenly win at the end. That result soured me on the match for years until I went back to it.

That was an incredible match, especially for PG era.

15.jpg

The result made me forget how good that show was on an overall level. Very solid show. It's why I stopped putting so much stock in to the end of the show.

Ah yeah great example, I love this show and love this match but the ending really fucked it up for me. It was textbook Super Cena which they hadn't done as much during that time for one, Brock's first match back for two, and most importantly they were trying to run with some Cena losing big matches gimmick after 'Mania....only for him to win against Brock at the next PPV :pogba

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I feel like we could back and select plenty of Cena matches that fit this criteria :mj4

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Ah yeah great example, I love this show and love this match but the ending really fucked it up for me. It was textbook Super Cena which they hadn't done as much during that time for one, Brock's first match back for two, and most importantly they were trying to run with some Cena losing big matches gimmick after 'Mania....only for him to win against Brock at the next PPV :pogba

At least they made up for it with Summerslam 2014, I guess

What a beautiful beat-down that was

4c3635a102a247d3312ad34a37e8f299.gif

Although, that one kid that constantly shouts "Let's go Cena!" over and over again drives me nuts, it's why I barely re-watch it :lol

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel like we could back and select plenty of Cena matches that fit this criteria :mj4

True and I'm even a fan of the guy :lol his run from 2006-2007 (before the injury and ignoring K-Fed shit) I honestly love but...man they really did not give the crowd what they wanted in any of those matches :lol Let's not even talk about the Nexus match :slip:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
True and I'm even a fan of the guy :lol his run from 2006-2007 (before the injury and ignoring K-Fed shit) I honestly love but...man they really did not give the crowd what they wanted in any of those matches :lol Let's not even talk about the Nexus match :slip:

I miss BIG MATCH JOHN these days, at least his matches had a big fight feel. I think I got numb to the finishes over time :lol

Nexus was a joke, had such a promising debut and then...yeah

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I miss BIG MATCH JOHN these days, at least his matches had a big fight feel. I think I got numb to the finishes over time :lol

Nexus was a joke, had such a promising debut and then...yeah

tbf I think once JBL coined that name for him, he wasn't even winning a ton anymore and was just putting on some great shit. Maybe outside of some cheesiness that stuck around from the early PG era.