Cage matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

soulreaper545

Reaction score
anybody else getting tired of them? The cage match has always been a good fued ender two guys in a cage just beating the hell out of each other but now it seems like every cage match has been 3 moves and a lucky escape. now lets take a look at how the cage match has started to go down hill

here is a match with Kane and MVP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyeotb4XO0&feature=PlayList&p=C00B45E39D9C4655&index=6

and compared with a classic Yokozuna and Bret Hart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6pQMbu6do&feature=related

rest of match if you want to see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgLrt1Zsl8&feature=related

notice the difference in the two matchs the older one just seems more realistic then the newer one

along with this Cage matchs are being use to often they are always being put on t.v and rarely ever get a PPV spot which makes people think that cages matchs aren't as good as any other match

noumenon

They are used quite often lately and I never understood why people never just bolted for the door...lol.

I miss the rigid steel cage...not this chain link bullshit.

Great One

I agree, I miss the good old Street Fight. An actual Street Fight, not an In Ring fight w/ one weapon and maybe a low blow.

The Rated R CMStar

I think it has to be with the fact of the booking reasoning WWE has used for this match. In the past, the logic for booking a Cage match was to "keep all the hatred inside". Now, they use it when they have a chickenshit champion that keeps running away from his face challenger.

Ballin

Reaction score
I guess I didn't relise they've been using them so much recently...?

But yes, they were definetly better in past, pretty lame now, In all honesty I'd prefer pretty much any gimmick match over the cage.

hellpop

Reaction score
They have certainly overdone these so they don't seem very special anymore. They don't even do them much on PPVs anymore, do they? Seems like most of the cage matches I've seen recently have been on free TV.

Airfixx

HIAC kinda elevated the cage match to another level (arguably THE gimmick match in WWE) and subsequently trad. cage matches can't be seen to be quite the brutal, penultimate fued ender they once were.

Reaction score
It was much better done in times past because the Cage was a special, PPV only thing. The Attitude Era somewhat changed that, and people didn't mind, but I think it was best served when it was a feud ender after a long 3 month build up, and was only used at PPV's.

You see, there used to be INCENTIVE and excitement for people to want to pay the $40 some odd dollars to watch a Cage match during a PPV. Now we get them any old time, and it's lost it's luster.

On a side note: here's a question. Does anybody else miss "Old Blue?" The '80's and '90's classic cage? I do sometimes.

Airfixx

Yup, I preferred the blue cage, but it is worth noting that it was in fact 'the old blue one' which was the departure from the norm.... Look at WWF cage matches in the early 80's and you'll see wire mesh like it is these days....

I'm sure I read there was a specific reason why they reverted back, but can't for the life of me think why... (I know the wrestlers didn't like it but I'm sure that was a secondary factor at best)

Kaedon

Reaction score
I like the argument that the psychology that a straight up cage match is wrong and that of HIAC is right. The cage is meant to keep people in and keep people out, so why are we having people try and leave, defeating the purpose of the match. I can see it both ways but it's an interesting debate.

Soul_of_Ruby

Reaction score
I wish they'd keep the cage matches for the ppvs and stop doing them on RAW and SD!.

Dynamo

Reaction score
This is an interesting one.

I actually think that the original HIAC idea was a good one. Which itself has spawned some preety freakin classic matches. (No one can forget Mankind falling of one. Near Iconic representation of a modern WWE?)

I think the bigger issue lies with the Booking. The ridiculous way in which they use the cage now is pitiful, as many people have mentioned b4. I think they could recreate that, specialness, that the cage once had, with the cell, infact they did for a while, Its just another example of how the WWE manage to fuck up, the few useable ideas they have!