• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bringing Back Prestige to the IC Title?

MC Rae

Reaction score
From what we saw on last night's RAW, they're starting an 8-man tournament to determine the number one contender to Regal's Intercontinental belt. The title in which will be defended at Armageddon.

Many fans have been complaining for ages that the IC title has become somewhat of an afterthought, especially with Santino Marella's recent run. Despite being a hilarious run for Santino, it did very little to aid the IC's titles prestige. Or what little prestige it had left...

With this new tournament, the IC title chase will become on of the focal points of RAW for the next few weeks at least. Whether this will all last beyond Armageddon is anyones guess but I for one am pleased we're seeing something done with the belt.

Or maybe this is all a way of plugging the new IC DVD...

Thoughts?

It sems way obvous there's only 1 person who would even makes sence to fit into the match against Regal. Obviously not Kofi or Punk as they are the tag champs, same for Miz and Morrison as who wants them broke up? That leaves Finlay and Rey. Finlay would just be lame. So the only logical choice to face Regal at Armegedon is Rey.

MikeRaw

This could bring back some prestige to it.The IC title doesn't need the biggest feuds and huge storylines, that's what the main event and other spots are for. The IC title is at it's best when people say "Hey, you know what? Theres an IC title match tonight, it should be the best match on the card".
Teh I title needs to have a guy like Regal, and Punk (when he isn't main eventing) and Rey, and Kofi, and Morrison, etc, fighting for it. That's how it gets it's value, and hopefully this tournament brings that back.

noumenon

I was very happy to see them doing this. The IC title used to have not just prestige but amazing feuds around it. Regal plugged the hell out of the belt while on commentary. The tournament will probably come down to Punk and Rey in the semis with Rey challenging Regal at the PPV. Rey picking up the title would definately be the highest card name who has held it in a while...aside from Jericho. An IC title run would do Punk a lot of good as well.

Airfixx

It's a good start... Let's just hope they keep the belt a lot more active (***)

i.e. Title matches on Raw, contender matches/tournaments etc.

Noble, Punk, Kofi, Rey, Regal, Santino, Kane, Hass, Priceless & Manu.. Hell even Snitsky (+ Duece & Burchill if they're still around)... They've got the talent to make a go of this.

(***AND as MC Rae says, that it's not just a DVD-promo angle.)

Catalyst

Reaction score
Yea it would be nice to see this be a good thing for the title but it could just as easily be just another time waster. 8 superstars who people dont care about anyway. Like the Miz and such. The only way this will be any good is if someone major wins it. Like Kennedy. The last time the IC title was interesting in the slightest was when orton was champ, and that was a LONG time ago.

Yeah I was excited when I first heard of this, we could see some good matches come out of this but for now I hope Regal holds the belt for a while. I think he will be facing CM Punk at the PPV, notice how Regal only came down to see Punks match, which is stupid because Punk is tag Champ and will probably end up winning the IC title from him which will ruin the whole idea of the Tourney. Although Punk and Regal had a good match to determine who was KOTR. I would rather see Rey Vs Regal and have Regal get some nice heat from that or Noble Vs Regal to end all of that stuff since it never really went anywhere and Noble is greatness. Good move by WWE though.

Moonlight Drive

It's all just a way to hype the damn DVD. There's always moments of 'hey, they're actually doing something with the IC/Tag belts' but then it reverts to the old who gives a shit about them stage very soon after.