Bret or Shawn?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Well, summing that all up in one wrestler a few names come to mind you can disagree and call them flashy or whatever if you want, Kevin Nash, Bill Goldberg, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Jake Roberts and Batista. All combinations of the fundamentals you enjoy with the little bit of flash maybe he's not flashy enough maybe Mankind just enough flash. At the risky of getting off base these kind of Attitude legends would probably be your favorites to watch.
Never cared for Nash, I just make memes of him as he is boring/ Goldberg is meh to me and a bit overrated. The Rock is meh to as well. I like Stone Cold because he was and wasn't flashy at the same time, and he walked in kicked ass and walked out. I love Jake Roberts. Batista is boring to me as well. I also love Mankind, and is easily tied with Bret and Jake as my favorite.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
My all time favorite is Taker. He was a mystery but he was flashy when he wanted to, both inside and outside of a match.

Kurt Angle is a another favorite of mines because of his Integrity Intensity and Intelligence. I was always amped up and interested in a Kurt Angle PPV match.

I have others of course and even though they are really past their prime, they are two of the All Time Greats to me

Last edited:

<123>

Jobber
Reaction score
Both were very good in their prime, however, I think HBK takes some beating in his performance and pumping the crowd up - he was an excellent entertainer.
I was never a huge fan of Brett, however, he was a very talented wrestler and the fans loved him.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
I think before he turned face, I probably preferred HBK. His IC title run was pretty good. But that might have been the entire time.

HBK could wrestle with a stuffed penguin and put on a good match. It really never mattered who his partner was, he would find a way to make it work. In my view, Bret Hart needed to face a good wrestler to put on a good match. Although Hart himself was excellent, he was not good at making his opponent look good.

I think HBK is a reprehensible human being. Even with his holier than thou born again schtick, he comes across as the same prick he has always been. I hated him when I met up and despise his personality completely.

Bret Hart is a better man than HBK from what I know, but nowhere near the caliber of performer HBK was. But if they wrestled, I would choose to root for the better man and thus Bret Hart.

I would say Bret was better at making his opponent look good but the different styles they had Shawn got more attention. Bret mad his opponent look good, Shawn could do that but made himself look better.

Vince used Brett as a gatekeeper even in the mid 80's behind the scenes. He wrestled a musclehead and made him look great and Vince got all excited. Turns out Brett carried him. Brett also carried Bulldog Summerslam 1992 (he was off his nut on drugs).

Another example of Wrestlemania 1997, Austin bleeding like a pig. That wasn't Austins idea it was Bretts.

Bret's the better technical wrestler, great ring general and was safe to be in the ring with. Shawn better performer but in ring also apparently liked to potato people. Brett was basically a better ring general, arguably ring psycology when you compare both of them at the same time (90's).

Bret was injured/retired once HBK came back and did even better than the 1st time around.

Ima old enough to remember The Rockers and Hart Foundation lol. Took a break and came back, no Hogan, Brett was on top and Michaels was becoming the next big thing.

Back then HBK was the vanilla midget. 1994/95 though damn.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I would say Bret was better at making his opponent look good but the different styles they had Shawn got more attention. Bret mad his opponent look good, Shawn could do that but made himself look better.

Vince used Brett as a gatekeeper even in the mid 80's behind the scenes. He wrestled a musclehead and made him look great and Vince got all excited. Turns out Brett carried him. Brett also carried Bulldog Summerslam 1992 (he was off his nut on drugs).

Another example of Wrestlemania 1997, Austin bleeding like a pig. That wasn't Austins idea it was Bretts.

Bret's the better technical wrestler, great ring general and was safe to be in the ring with. Shawn better performer but in ring also apparently liked to potato people. Brett was basically a better ring general, arguably ring psycology when you compare both of them at the same time (90's).

Bret was injured/retired once HBK came back and did even better than the 1st time around.

Ima old enough to remember The Rockers and Hart Foundation lol. Took a break and came back, no Hogan, Brett was on top and Michaels was becoming the next big thing.

Back then HBK was the vanilla midget. 1994/95 though damn.

Yeah I can't really agree with that. Hart had good matches with guys like Hakushi, Bam Bam Bigelow, and good wrestlers. But I've never seen him elevate a bad wrestler. His matches with Austin were great because Austin was a MAGNIFICENT technical wrestler before his injury. But when you pair Bret up with a subpar performer, I never saw him elevate him.

But HBK took a page out of Ric Flair's book. He does let the opponent beat the crap out of him and he sells their offense like no other. I just never saw Bret doing that. Bret thinks he is the best wrestler ever, but he's not. He was often very selfish in the ring and out. I REALLY like the guy and he is one of the best ever, but not the best.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley