Bret Hart vs Austin WM. Aged well?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Antony_nz

Reaction score
I sat down a while ago with my Best of Bret Hart DVD and decided to watch the Bret Hart vs Austin submisoin match.
I understood the importance of the match and how it sky rocketed Austins career. And how Bret Hart and Austin had been having a long bretal fued.
It must have been a awesome fued becuase there style of wrestling is so similar.
And i can understand how shocking it must of been to see Austins bleeding head. And a deep messy cut literally driping all over the mat. AND HOW WOULDNT EVEN TAP OUT!

With that said, Do you think the match has aged well?

I turned out all the lights and sat down to watch the match. I was all psyched up for the match. Watching history in the making.
But Austin and Bret hard spent the first half of the match fighting in the crowd.
And i was suprised by the slow nature of that match.
But i just thought
"Oh cool,this is going to be one of those matches that start of as a slow brawl but slowly get a lil better and a lill better instill its one of the most exciting fights ever! just like Dude love vs Austin"
I keeped waiting for the match to pick up but to tell you the truth the match never did any thing for me!
I was waiting for it to get me going but befor i knew it Bret had austin in the sharpshooter and its over...
Im not the kind of guy who just likes spot fests.
I loved Dudelove vs Austin.
Or bret hart vs HBK iron man.
How come this match didnt do any thing for me? I have watched it in the past and didnt think much of it. So i thought "Well im a little older now hopefully ill appreciate it a bit more." But didnt work.
My mate said it was a great match but has since denied saying that.

Who here agrees or disagrees? Any comments? Who thinks the match has aged well.
Im intreseted to see what you all think. And before you all start Dereping me im going to watch the match agian next time i get the chance to see if i can feel it.
I know im gona get flak.

Beer Money Army

Bret Hart Vs Steve austin WM 13 is a ***** still for me....

i have watch the match a couple months ago and it's just flat out awesome, along with there survivor series 1996 match...

the match had everything.. Historical significance, technical wrestling, hardcore wrestling, drama and plus both worker's turning face to heel and austin from heel to face, Plus austin not giving up given it a awesome touch...

this was the match that made Steve Austin a true Main eventer franchise player..

to this date, i think it's one of the best matches in North America of the 1990's

Airfixx

Watched in isolation it's a great match. Watched in the context of the fued it's fucking amazing!

Incidentally, can someone tell me which episode of Raw it was where Bret & Austin had the episode-long street fight?

The Rated R CMStar

First of, Austin and Bret Hart don't have the same wrestling style.

Secondly, you don't have to like a match just because a bunch of other people do. Maybe, for you, something just didn't click. I don't know, but just because most people like the match you don't necessarily have to like its

Montana

Well, when i first read the question thinking "Aged well" as in why hasn't this match seem to be near on the top of people's favorite WM match. In fact, maybe top 5. I think year after year, this match gets a little less of the recognition it once did. (perhaps cause Austin/Bret don't wrestle anymore) I did think this was one of the all time top fueds I've ever seen. I forget the date, but there was a austin/bret street fight on raw, and the match wasn't anything to write home about, that may have been my favorite raw of all time. How the show revolved around those two characters. Dipset may know which one i'm talking about.

As far as the match goes, i haven't seen it in a while cause WM 13 was one of the worst. I think this is a main factor why this match gets forgetten. I believe this was the last 5 star wwe match they have had. Idk if i'd say 5 stars for the actual match itself, but i think if you add in the storylines, hype, and everything, watching that match live made it that much better. Great ending, awesome double turn, Hart passed the torch so to speak. This still ranks quite high on WM list too.

Airfixx

I forget the date, but there was a austin/bret street fight on raw, and the match wasn't anything to write home about, that may have been my favorite raw of all time. How the show revolved around those two characters. Dipset may know which one i'm talking about.

Yeah, that's the one..... Mad rep for anyone that can tell me the date...

(Recently scored myself the entire Raw for 1997! " 'Mercy!" as Dude Love might say.)

Montana

I think it was April 21st 2007. Could be wrong on that, but Bret/Austin had a match on that show, and im pretty sure thats the only time they wrestled on raw.

Beer Money Army

bret Hart vs austin happen a couple times.

Survivor Series 96
WM 13
IYH: Revenge of The Taker PPV
Raw 21/4/97 (this match only went for 6:42)

only time they wrestled on raw tho..

then i think bret Hart had to have knee surgery and austin went on to face bulldog, anvil on raw until that austin/hbk Vs bulldog/owen hart encounter...

people may not know this but they defended those belts against LOD the week later..

Airfixx

Cheers for the info, I'll have a look when I get home... Hope it's the one I'm thinking of (when SCSA attacks Bret in the back of the ambulance etc.).

YoungMannie

Reaction score
Still one of the greatist of all time, wrestlemania or not it still classic. The match psych is great and it helped austin become the flagship guy of WWF. if anything this match should be in every lockeroom in WWE and TNA and ROH. It should be studied along with jake the snake and raven who understand match psych.

Antony_nz

Reaction score
Hmmm. Im going to watch the match again and see if i like it.
Thanks for the feed back.

And Monkeystyle, Stop dereping me you cunt theres nothing wrong with this thread.

Airfixx

"And Monkeystyle, Stop dereping me you cunt theres nothing wrong with this thread."

You are WELL shit though, eh?

Reaction score
To me, this is the epitome of the North American wrestling style. It's intense inside the ring and as thunderous a brawl outside. It had brilliant booking, a double turn and it was just a fucking great match. It's the best match of Bret's career and a close second to Austin as Austin/Rock from Mania 17 was the best WWE match ever. This is the next best thing. Had this match happened in an atmosphere like 17 instead of the crap of 13, it'd be one of the five best matches ever to me.