Bret Hart ribs Pat Patterson for being gay on live television after Raw

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Pretty much to anyone who is saying what is the big deal about this in a nutshell the joke itself isn't the problem it is the timing of the joke that is the issue. The same joke that is funny between friends at home or in a joking environment isn't gonna be funny at a funeral or in this case directly after a heartfelt speech putting you over. Jokes always depend on the situation.

Last edited:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Being a black guy yes I have. And unlike a gay person I can't pretend not to be black I can't be in the closet about. However I also can take a joke. If Pat was offended or they are not close to make jokes that's one thing if he's trying to offend. If he's joking than he's joking biggest issue is that you can't do inside jokes where anyone can here as they might be lost on the context.
Oh my god WOOSH! Way to pick one sentence you disagreed with and completely miss the entire point of my post.

And I don't quite understand the relevance of your comment "unlike a gay person I can't pretend not to be black". Erm... what? So are you suggesting that you have it worse or that gay people should just hide it because they can? I really can't tell if this is simply an abysmal choice of words or if you are seriously that arrogant and naive.

And besides that, you're just flat out wrong. Black people aren't treated like their entire existence is an abomination, a mistake, or a slight against God by half of the freaking planet.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Boo fucking hoo.....Like the great philosopher Tracy Morgan once said "If you can take a dick, you can take a joke." Everyone's got sob stories, their problems are no worse than anyone else's and shouldn't have to act it is. Bigots gon bigot, can't change that. At the end of the day I doubt Patterson as much issue to Bret's joke than anyone here has.

Cry me a river of sad rainbows.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
For the record, outside of Canada the Bret Hart Appreciation Night was not on live TV. It was intended to be a special presentation on the WWE app, and was unlikely to have been watched by anyone under the age of 14.

About the inappropriate timing of the joke, the best man ribs his friend on his wedding day. Equating the ceremony to a funeral is beyond morbid, it was a day of celebration, not of fucking mourning.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
To me it wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't televised at all. It was in bad taste it's all over pattersons face during the comment. He obviously didn't think that would be occurring. Has it happened before I'm sure it has, does that make it right?

Are people over reacting to it yes. But it's still in bad taste.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
The way I see it, until Paterson himself says something against it, nobody should. He was the one it was directed at, he may have had a displeased look on his face, but again this happened in the middle of a wrestling ring, and we cant take anything seriously that happens between the ropes. For all we know Paterson was in on it, and made the facial expression in an attempt to get more people talking about it.

When was the last time Paterson ever trended on twitter? The last time his name was even brought up, Jerry Lawler was carted off in an ambulance after a heart attack.

Don't go jumping off a ledge before looking at it from all angles.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Being a black guy yes I have. And unlike a gay person I can't pretend not to be black I can't be in the closet about. However I also can take a joke. If Pat was offended or they are not close to make jokes that's one thing if he's trying to offend. If he's joking than he's joking biggest issue is that you can't do inside jokes where anyone can here as they might be lost on the context.

Did you seriously compare being black to being gay? Sit down son, people are a lot more tolerant of black people than they are of gay people.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
For the record, outside of Canada the Bret Hart Appreciation Night was not on live TV. It was intended to be a special presentation on the WWE app, and was unlikely to have been watched by anyone under the age of 14.

About the inappropriate timing of the joke, the best man ribs his friend on his wedding day. Equating the ceremony to a funeral is beyond morbid, it was a day of celebration, not of fucking mourning.

It was on live TV in Canada immediately following Raw.

Did you seriously compare being black to being gay? Sit down son, people are a lot more tolerant of black people than they are of gay people.
220px-President_Barack_Obama.jpg

Clearly.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I shouldn't be surprised at how big a deal this became. It was a joke between two good friends. Bret Hart looked clearly uncomfortable throughout the speeches and he tried to lighten the mood. Some people don't take compliments well and so he wanted to change the tone. Not really his fault that WWE decided to run it through the app and show it live into Canada, they should have realised that since it wasn't scripted they wouldn't know what he would say in response to the guys that came out.

When considering discrimination/racism/hate speech the key is always intent. Bret Hart wasn't being hateful and wasn't trying to demean Patterson, he was joking around with him. If Patterson isn't offended then it should be a non issue.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Bret even apologized on Twitter. I looked at the videos, Bret looked super uncomfortable. I can see he said what he said because was just him trying to be a little less uncomfortable, I'm sure this type of stuff happened back in the day.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
The fact that this makes news and Bret has to apologize for it is indicative of how PC/control our thoughts our society has become as a whole. He didnt say anything remotely wrong, only a person who wants to have something to bitch about could possibly twist this into something bad. Its not like he said anything bad about gay people, it snot hard to imagine (as disturbing as it is) that when Pats on his knee's thats normally what he's doing...

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The fact that this makes news and Bret has to apologize for it is indicative of how PC/control our thoughts our society has become as a whole. He didnt say anything remotely wrong, only a person who wants to have something to bitch about could possibly twist this into something bad. Its not like he said anything bad about gay people, it snot hard to imagine (as disturbing as it is) that when Pats on his knee's thats normally what he's doing...
He didn't say anything bad about gay people? Oh right, every time a gay person takes a knee and offers a sincere compliment, it MUST mean he has intentions of sucking your cock too, right? Are you fucking serious?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
He didn't say anything bad about gay people? Oh right, every time a gay person takes a knee and offers a sincere compliment, it MUST mean he has intentions of sucking your cock too, right? Are you fucking serious?

And how do you know the comment wasn't made out of nervousness that Pat may actually propose to him? Or do you just jump to cocksucking as a reflex?

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton

He cracked a light hearted joke, it'd be one thing if he called him a disgusting smurf who should die, but he didn't. He cracked a joke, thats all, not even an offensive one at that. Its only offensive if you want it to be.