Bret Hart on Triple H: "I think Paul is a little overrated"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
I've never posted news before and I'm not sure how to do the whole quote-box thingy, so I'll just cut and copy.

Wrestle Talk TV is featuring an interview outtake online with WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart where he speaks very candidly about Triple H and his thoughts on his career. Below is a few quotes of what Hart had to say along with the clip.

"I have a certain amount of respect for Triple H. I remember when he first came in I remember complimenting him on stuff he did. I remember when Paul first came in and you do a lot of really nice stuff out there. Triple H was always a good wrestler. But great? What is he, a 1,000 time World Champion now? How great really is he? I look at Punk, I can look at certain wrestlers and say this guy is an innovator like a Rey Mysterio - who can come up/done stuff that nobody ever thought of before. Punk has done stuff - really unique moves and you go geez, I've never seen anything like that before. Then you look at someone like Triple H. When I look at him, he's always had a good look as far as his body went. He's always had a muscular physique. But you look at somebody like Hunter and you ask what has he ever really...done? What's a move he created nobody ever saw before? He's mostly a guy that showed up and they (WWE) made him.

He's always been a decent wrestler. I would consider him a pretty good wrestler and pretty talented. But great? I don't know. I don't think so. And if he's running the show, what has he ever done that's great? He's never had a great match I don't think ever. Whenever I look at Triple H's matches, including the last one he had with Undertaker, I don't mean it as a knock, I told myself before I watched it because I'm trying to like Paul now these days (smiles), I said I want him to do something to make me think yeah, he's got greatness in him. I remember watching it and going, I can picture the whole match in my head, I can tell you exactly what this match is going to be like and how it is going to go. I remember watching it and it was exactly like I predicted. I thought it was mediocre at best. Maybe a 4 out of 10 or 3 out of 10. Whereas guys like Punk go out there, I say impress me and they do. It's unique and fresh.

I think Paul is a little overrated."

Source: http://www.wrestleview.com/wwe-news/39482-bret-hart-on-triple-h-i-think-paul-is-a-little-overrated

Personally, I agree with him. He sounds a little jealous, maybe, but HHH was really never that great.

More importantly, it seems the Hitman himself is a something of a Punk mark. :obama:

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
He makes some good points, I guess, but....

Pedigree > anything Punk//Mysterio

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Whoa whoa whoa Mysterio was a pioneer in the cruiserweight division in the states. Let's give the man his respect. I also don't think Paul is over rated.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Hart cutting a grumpy old man promo? Color me surprised.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Bret Hart Says Triple H Is Overrated Never Had A Great Match

WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart recently spoke with Wrestle Talk TV Extra and had some harsh words about Triple H:

"I have a certain amount of respect for Triple H. I remember when he first came in, I remember commenting on stuff that he did. Because I'd usually give wrestlers my thoughts and try to help them on stuff... Triple H has always been a good wrestler. But great? What is he now, a 1,000 time world champion? How great really is he?

"I look at [CM] Punk... I can look at certain wrestlers and I go, this guy is an innovator. Like a Rey Mysterio, who's done stuff that no one has ever thought of before. Punk has done stuff -- really unique moves and you go, 'gee I've never seen anything like that before.' They innovate all the time, and they create new sequences and moves and things.

"Then you look at someone like Triple H. When I look at him -- he's always had a good look as far as his body went -- he always had a pretty muscular physique. But you look at someone like Hunter and you wonder, what has he really done. One move that he ever created that nobody ever saw before or some highspots or an idea for a match... He's mostly a guy that just showed up and they made him. He's always been a decent wrestler -- I would consider him a good wrestler and pretty talented. But great? I don't know, I don't think so.

"What has he ever done that's great? He's never had a great match, I don't think ever. Whenever I look at Triple H's matches, including the last one he had with Undertaker -- and I don't really mean it as a knock -- but I told myself before I watched it because I'm trying to like Paul now these days, that I want to see him do something to make me think he's got greatness in him.

"Before Triple H wrestled Undertaker last year, I remember watching it and going, 'I can picture the whole match in my head, I can tell you exactly what this match is going to be like and how it's going to go. And I remember watching it and it went exactly how I predicted it... I thought it was mediocre at best, maybe a 4 out of 10, or 3 out of 10.

"I think Paul is a little overrated... overrated for being great. I can sit here and tell you that there was one match that he ever had with anybody that I thought was great. It's kind of a shame, he should have a great match somewhere with somebody. And you'd think that he would have had it by now, but I don't think he's a great wrestler."

There's much more to the interview, including Bret's thoughts on the Undertaker and CM Punk

I agree with the Wrestlemania match kinda.

catlady

The People's Champion
Main Eventer
Reaction score

Bret was one of the best wrestlers ever, so he can say these things. HHH is on Cena's level... Great on the mic, great big brute, only average in the ring.

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score

I posted this already but yours is better. I didn't know how to link the video, lol.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score

I'm sorry. :downer:

uhh, for YouTube I think it's [Youtube=Video]Insert Link[/Video]

BaraaKhalaf92

Champion
Reaction score
Well, I have seen HHH having a lot of great matches, he is indeed one of the best ever. Don't know what the hell Bret was talking about but I enjoyed both of his matches against the Undertaker.

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
I didn't know a match had to be innovative and original to be good. What happened to good in-ring psychology and story telling? Regardless of the types of moves HHH and Taker did in the Cell, the storytelling was still amazing. It certainly made me jump out of my seat more than Jericho and Punks match did.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Okay who forgot to put milk in Bret's coffee.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Bret is just an old bitter mark. You know, Shawn Michaels didn't have the most varied moveset either. Does that stop him from being the greatest in-ring performer of all time? No.

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
Bret Hart kind forgot that he was overrated the same as Triple H, if not more...