Brand Irrelevancy?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Okay, so as you should already know, the WWE Title and World Heavyweight Title is set to be unified at TLC. I feel like this is a step in the wrong direction, for many reasons but particularly due to the fact that being on a brand means almost nothing anymore. This may not mean much to some but this was one of my most enjoyed aspects of the WWE. I'm convinced that the WWE is slowly weaning the audience from the notion of two brands. RAW superstars appear on SmackDown and vice versa. The sense of competition between brands is long gone and it doesn't seem like the WWE will attempt to rekindle it. While I doubt that they would merge the brands entirely, I do believe that they are attempting to erase the boundary between RAW & SmackDown. I'm quite aware that title unification has happened before but when they occurred, the circumstances were different. This is all speculation but what do you guys think?

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Yea dude there are two shows but they aren't so much brands anymore because the rosters aren't unique. Its been this way ever since Raw supershows started.

The only thing I don't miss is the corny 'competitions' between the two shows like SS elimination matches based on 'omg which show is better?!', bragging rights types of PPVs, ect. That stuff was lame IMO. I do wish SD and Raw each had unique superstars with specific storylines to their show, but eh, what can you do.

Pratchett

The Artiste
Reaction score
You are just beginning to notice this? There have been no separate "brands" for a while now, and if they are going to keep it that way then it makes no sense to have both a WWE Title and WHC belt. For that matter they need to get rid of the US Title belt. The only reason I can see to keep around so many similar belts is to go back to the different brands. But that doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
You are just beginning to notice this? There have been no separate "brands" for a while now, and if they are going to keep it that way then it makes no sense to have both a WWE Title and WHC belt. For that matter they need to get rid of the US Title belt. The only reason I can see to keep around so many similar belts is to go back to the different brands. But that doesn't appear to be on the horizon.
sadly not. Meaning we are stuck with dreadful 3 hour Raws and absolutely no reason to watch SD

Reactions: Josh...

Pratchett

The Artiste
Reaction score
I watch SD mostly out of habit, and often times I will have it on (recorded) while piddling about on the interwebs. The saddest thing to me is that with all these hours of programming, why do they need to have so many replays and recaps? I get to see the same things over and over so many times that all it does is just makes me more numb to the actual product they are putting out.

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I agree, in the direction that the company is heading, less title belts is inevitable.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I agree, in the direction that the company is heading, less title belts is inevitable.
Are they? WWE doesn't have to give a shit about belts to keep them around. Without the US Title what will they do for Pre shows on PPVS?!?!

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Are they? WWE doesn't have to give a shit about belts to keep them around. Without the US Title what will they do for Pre shows on PPVS?!?!
Haha, perhaps put enough effort into a rivalry that the audience would at least care enough to watch it. A mid card rivalry but keep it at least moderately interesting, but I suppose that's too much to ask for these days.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Haha, perhaps put enough effort into a rivalry that the audience would at least care enough to watch it. A mid card rivalry but keep it at least moderately interesting, but I suppose that's too much to ask for these days.
Way too much to ask. If you worked on WWE creative and went around pitching radical ideas such as these you would be shitcanned on the spot.

Reactions: Farooq

Pratchett

The Artiste
Reaction score
The problem with is though the average 10 yr old has such a short attention span, there just isn't enough time to build up a proper rivalry. :troll:

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The problem with is though the average 10 yr old has such a short attention span, there just isn't enough time to build up a proper rivalry. :troll:
Oh yes, how could I have forgotten about 60% of WWE's viewers. It's a shame really, but it's the world we live in...

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Way too much to ask. If you worked on WWE creative and went around pitching radical ideas such as these you would be shitcanned on the spot.
"Radical" eh? I think of it more as, "investing in the fanbase's interests".