Box Office Update

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
This weekend, following four consecutive frames of animated sequels ruling the North American box office, horror fans returned with a vengeance powering the new supernatural thriller The Conjuring to a number one opening over a crowded weekend that saw four new releases debut in wide release. The R-rated spookfest grossed a sensational $41.5M from 2,903 locations for a sizzling $14,306 average.

The marketing campaign was chilling, reviews were very positive, and social media buzz was red hot going into the weekend, making it a must-see for fright fans who have had almost nothing scary all summer to rally behind. Studio research showed that females led the way with 53% of the audience while 59% were over 25. The CinemaScore grade was an A- which was exceptionally good for a fright flick. The Conjuring scored the biggest opening of 2013 for a pure horror film. Most R-rated films of this genre that open to over $40M are sequels or remakes.

Following its two-week rule of the mid-summer box office, toon giant Despicable Me 2 dropped to the runner-up spot but still held up well despite the entry of a new animated pic. The Universal smash fell 43% to an estimated $25.1M raising the cume to a sensational $276.2M to date. The overseas tally shot up to $308.4M putting the global haul at $584.6M.

Premiering in third place was the DreamWorks toon Turbo with an estimated $21.5M over the weekend and $31.2M over the five days since its Wednesday launch. The Fox release averaged $5,649 from 3,806 theaters across the Friday-to-Sunday period which was decent but not big. Competition from Gru and his Minions certainly took its toll. In fact audiences have spent a gargantuan $525M on the toon sequels Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University over the last month so the original snail tale Turbo found it hard to stand out.

Adam Sandler's comedy sequel Grown Ups 2 dropped 52% in its second weekend to an estimated $20M giving Sony $79.5M in ten days. A final gross in the neighborhood of $130M is likely for Sony, another solid hit for the funnyman.

Opening in fifth place was the Bruce Willis-led spy sequel Red 2 with an estimated $18.5M from 3,016 locations for a decent $6,134 average. That was a few notches below the $21.8M bow of the first Red from the weaker October 2010 play period. The summer slot is more high-profile, but it also features more competition and mature adults have had plenty of compelling action options over the past three months. Reviews for Red 2 were not too strong and the CinemaScore was a respectable B+. The Summit release played older with 67% being over 35 so it may have better legs than the typical summer action sequel. The gender split was close to even with 52% of the crowd being male.

Falling 57% in its second weekend was the sci-fi actioner Pacific Rim with an estimated $16M. The decline for the expensive pic was normal for this genre and the domestic cume of $68.2M should be able to rise to $100-110M by the end of the run for Warner Bros.

The summer's latest big-budget reject R.I.P.D. stumbled into seventh place with a weak opening of an estimated $12.8M and has no future ahead of it. The PG-13 actioner starring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds averaged $4,475 from 2,852 locations and was given a thumbs down from critics and paying audiences alike. Reviews were awful and the CinemaScore was a troubling C+ which indicates poor buzz ahead.

Universal reported that R.I.P.D. cost $130M to produce, but the true cost was probably higher than that. The opening came in at less than half of the levels of the summer's other mega-priced action duds After Earth and The Lone Ranger which had debut weekends in the $27-30M range. Studio research showed an audience that was 53% male and 57% over 25. The sci-fi cop comedy never took off with moviegoers and consumer interest was always low since the promotional push first began.

Off only 33% was the hit cop comedy The Heat with an estimated $9.3M, down just 33%, for a $129.3M cume for Fox. Brad Pitt's World War Z followed with an estimated $5.2M, off 44%, for a $186.9M total to date. Two-time chart-topper Monsters University dropped 53% to an estimated $5M giving Disney a sizable $249M to date and $532.9M worldwide.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $174.9M which was down 21% from last year when The Dark Knight Rises opened at number one with $160.9M; and off 2% from 2011 when Captain America bowed to $65.1M.

The Conjuring $41.9M
Despicable Me 2 $24.9M
Turbo $21.3M
Grown Ups 2 $19.9M
Red 2 $18.0M
Pacific Rim $16.0M
R.I.P.D. $12.7M
The Heat $9.3M
World War Z $5.2M
Monsters University $1.6

No big surprises here other than the Conjuring taking first but not much of anything to compete other than the older films. RIPD looked stupid and Turbo looked cute but not enough to take away from the other kids movies that came out. I just saw it today and it was decent just not enough to do much to steal away from Despicable me 2 and the minions.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
The annual late-summer funk hit the North American box office with only one of the frame's four new wide releases connecting with audiences. The potential Oscar contender Lee Daniels' The Butler surprised many with its number one opening grossing an estimated $25M. The PG-13 film averaged a strong $8,527 from 2,933 theaters and was the only wide release this weekend to gross more than $20M or generate an average above $6,000.

Starring Forest Whitaker, Butler took advantage of stellar reviews and solid awards buzz and also tapped into co-star Oprah Winfrey's massive fan base and promotional power. And the road ahead looks bright as new releases over the next couple of weeks do not look to be too distracting for this film's upscale adult audience plus the glowing A grade from CinemaScore indicates strong word-of-mouth will spread.

Butler's results were incredibly close to those seen two years ago by The Help, another mid-August period film about African-Americans serving the elite. That film opened to $26M at the same time of year, earned strong reviews and Oscar talk, and had a great CinemaScore (an even better A+). Help went on to finish with $169.7M, four Academy Award nominations including Best Picture, and a win for Best Supporting Actress. There is talk of Winfrey winning in that same category this time while Whitaker could be in the race for Best Actor.

Holding steady in second place and displaying terrific staying power was the pot smuggling comedy We're the Millers which dipped only 33% in its second weekend to an estimated $17.8M. Warner Bros. has collected an impressive $69.5M in ten days and could be headed for a $110-120M domestic final. Critics hated Millers, but paying audiences have found it to be a very entertaining option during the dog days of summer.

Matt Damon's sci-fi outing Elysium fell by 54% in its sophomore round - understandable for a sci-fi film - to an estimated $13.6M putting Sony at $55.9M after ten days. Look for the futuristic flick to end up with around $85M.

Opening close behind was the super hero sequel Kick-Ass 2 which disappointed with an estimated $13.6M as well. The Universal release averaged a mediocre $4,615 from 2,940 locations and grossed 32% less than the $19.8M that the first Kick-Ass took in when it bowed in April 2010. Though not a stellar number, it did build a cult following over the years so the follow-up was expected to draw at least the same size audience if not a little bigger. But competition was intense, the target audience has already had more than enough summer action movies, and reviews were negative.

The $28M production played, as expected, to a young male crowd. Studio research showed that 63% of the audience was male and 58% was under 25. A B+ CinemaScore showed that fans were moderately pleased with the product, but the huge 29% Friday-to-Saturday tumble indicates an extremely front-loaded run.

With nothing new opening for children this weekend, Disney's animated film Planes held up well declining by 41% to an estimated $13.1M in fifth place. The colorful toon has banked $45.1M so far and could end up with about $75M.

The kid-friendly fantasy adventure Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters also fared well in its sophomore frame dropping 42% to an estimated $8.4M. For a sequel it was an encouraging decline, but for a big-budget actioner the overall results are still weak. The Fox release has collected only $38.9M and seems headed for a $55-60M final.

Moviegoers didn't buy into Ashton Kutcher playing a genius as the biopic Jobs flopped in its opening weekend grossing an estimated $6.7M from 2,381 theaters for a poor $2,814 average. The Open Road release about Apple co-founder Steve Jobs earned negative reviews and never really energized paying movie audiences who gave it a lackluster B- grade from CinemaScore.

Dropping by half to eighth place was the Denzel Washington-Mark Wahlberg pic 2 Guns with an estimated $5.6M giving Universal $59.2M to date. Sony's kidpic The Smurfs 2 followed with an estimated $4.6M, off 51%, for a cume of $56.9M. The Wolverine rounded out the top ten with an estimated $4.4M, down 45%, putting Fox at $120.5M.

Utterly ignored by moviegoers was the new corporate thriller Paranoia which debuted outside of the top ten to an estimated $3.5M from 2,459 locations for a dismal $1,423 average for Relativity.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $112.8M which was down 8% from last year when The Expendables 2 debuted at number one with $28.6M; but up 16% from 2011 when The Help climbed into the top spot with $20M in its second weekend.

Honestly surprised to see the Butler doing so well. From the previews I have seen it looks as boring as watching two flies mate. Kick-ass 2 seemed ok from what I have seen guess no one wanted to see it that much other than [MENTION=1]Zod[/MENTION] or everyone is waiting for The World's End next weekend to finish the trilogy.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
In regards to The Butler, I don't see how a movie spanning multiple Presidents with a cast like the one it has looks boring. Sure Oprah's in it and that sucks, but Daniels other two movies (Precious, The Paperboy) were both really good. I see no reason why The Butler won't be as well.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
In regards to The Butler, I don't see how a movie spanning multiple Presidents with a cast like the one it has looks boring. Sure Oprah's in it and that sucks, but Daniels other two movies (Precious, The Paperboy) were both really good. I see no reason why The Butler won't be as well.

Well I from what I saw I was not interested in it at all and seemed like a film I would not enjoy that is to say that anyone else couldn't like it and maybe if and when I do watch it i might like it not to say I wouldn't. It's happened before.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'm sure the awful reviews coming in from the idiot critics had something to do with the lower numbers for Kick-Ass 2. However I think they'll do all right in the long run.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Real surprised at the performance of Kick-Ass 2, expected it do a lot better.

And to follow up an early convo in this thread, The Lone Ranger bombed in the UK too, despite a massive ad campaign.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Lee Daniels' The Butler reigned for a second weekend on top of the box office heap. The historical drama brought in $17 million to take #1 for the second week in a row. The film fell just 31%, which is very good for a drama, to hold off a host of newcomers. The film has now grossed $52.3 million and looks to be a major hit for The Weinstein Company, with a budget of just $30 million.

Coming in at #2 for the third weekend in a row was We're the Millers. The R-rated comedy took in $13.5 million to hold steady once again and had an even better drop from last weekend with a mere 25% fall. The movie is now a big success, with $91.7 million domestically and $102.8 million worldwide from a budget of $37 million.

Coming in at #3 was The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. The teen-oriented fantasy film disappointed with just $9.3 million this weekend, well below the mid-teens rating that Screen Gems was hoping for. This represents the latest film to try and cash in on the Twilight audience and fail, following Beautiful Creatures and The Host. The film averaged just $2,983 for the weekend from 3,118 theaters. It opened on Wednesday initially and has a total gross since then of $14.1 million from a budget of $60 million. A B+ CinemaScore may help its legs, but not by much.

Coming in at #4 was The World's End with $8.9 million. The Edgar Wright-directed final film in the "Blood & Cornettos" trilogy that included Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz was right about at expectations from the studio; its average of $5,773 from 1,549 is similar to how Shaun opened back in 2004. The film has added $16 million overseas so far for a total worldwide gross of $24.9 million from a budget of $20 million; it also received a B+ CinemaScore which will help its profitability a little.

Disney's Planes was down one spot to #5 in its third week with $8.6 million. The Disney animated movie has grossed a total of $59.6 million domestically and $77.4 million worldwide from a budget of $50 million.

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium slipped three spots in its third week, finishing at #6 with $7.1 million. The Matt Damon-led film has now grossed $69.1 million domestically and $139.1 million worldwide; the budget was $115 million.

You're Next opened at #7 this weekend with $7.1 million, which is quite a bit lower than the mid-teens number Lionsgate was hoping for but about what industry analysts were predicting. The home-invasion horror film opened in 2,437 theaters for an average of $2,893. Its budget isn't yet known, but the B- CinemaScore will not help its long-term prospects much.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, was down two spots in its third weekend to #8. The teen fantasy sequel brought in $5.2 million; it has a total of $48.4 million domestically and $84.6 million worldwide. The budget was $90 million.

Woody Allen's latest film jumped up into the top ten after four weeks in limited release. Blue Jasmin was up five places to #9 with $4.3 million, a leap of 88% from last week. The film, which stars Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin, has a total of $14.8 million thus far from an unknown budget.

Kick-Ass 2 took a nasty hit in its second weekend, dropping six slots to #10 with $4.3 million. The action-comedy sequel fell a painful 68%, which is high for any genre especially considering the low first-weekend gross. The film has brought in $22.4 million domestically and $38.5 million worldwide from a $28 million budget.

The weekend box office tally was $110.1 million, up 12% from last year's $98.4 million that was led by The Expendables 2's second weekend of $13.4 million.

Note: Numbers include Sunday estimates and are three-day estimates. A studio recoups 55% of a film's grosses on average, meaning it needs to approximately double its budget to be profitable during its theatrical run.

BOX OFFICE TOP TEN (Three-Day Numbers)
1. Lee Daniels' The Butler - $17 million ($52.3 million total)
2. We're the Millers - $13.5 million ($91.7 million total)
3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - $9.3 million ($14.1 million total)
4. The World's End - $8.9 million ($8.9 million total)
5. Planes - $8.6 million ($59.6 million total)
3. Elysium - $7.1 million ($69.1 million total)
7. You're Next - $7.1 million ($7.1 million total)
6. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - $5.2 million ($48.4 million total)
9. Blue Jasmine - $4.3 million ($14.8 million total)
4. Kick-Ass 2 - $4.3 million ($22.4 million total)
You're Next didn't do as well as The Purge or The Conjuring, but this is usually a bad time for horror movies. Nice to see The Butler still churning out good numbers. As I've said before, I may hate Oprah, but I love Lee Daniels and am glad to see him have another successful film. Also, I guess The Mortal Instruments won't be the next Hunger Games with numbers like that. :lol:

Next week sees the wide release of just two films, Getaway (2000 theatres) and One Direction: This is Us (2500+ theatres). I hate to say it, but it looks like One Direction is going to rule the box office come next Sunday.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Wow, Kick-Ass 2 is doing much better here than in America then. How weird, thought you guys would be all over that.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Wow, Kick-Ass 2 is doing much better here than in America then. How weird, thought you guys would be all over that.

I was all over that. Glad the United Kingdom at least has taste.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Honestly, the reason Kick Ass 2 isn't doing well is because people are burned out on comic book movies right now. We've already seen three huge ones released this year (Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine) with Thor's sequel still to come. I think a lot of people who may have gone to see Kick Ass 2 are saving their money for Thor instead. While Kick Ass 2 may be a good movie, it sure came out at the wrong time.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Was just skimming the Friday results from Box Office Mojo and it appears my prediction of One Direction winning this weekend will be coming true. As of last night's grosses, it had close to $9 million while the next closest film, The Butler, had just over $3 million. Goddamn boy bands. Anyhow, we'll see how the cookie crumbles once the final numbers are in tomorrow or Monday, but I doubt anything will catch it at this point.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
No I don't either. Rotten tomatoes basically said it was a good film

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
No I don't either. Rotten tomatoes basically said it was a good film

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Rotten Tomatoes can bite my ass.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Over a busier-than-expected Labor Day weekend, 3D concert flick One Direction: This is Us took first place at the box office ahead of Lee Daniels' The Butler. The big story, though, is the incredible performance of Spanish-language family comedy Instructions Not Included, which wound up in fifth place despite playing in fewer than 400 theaters.

While it was down year-to-year, overall business still came in at a solid level this weekend (the top 12 earned an estimated $92.8 million). The riches were spread across a ton of titles: over the three-day weekend, 24 different movies grossed over $1 million.

Playing at 2,735 theaters, One Direction: This is Us opened in first place with an estimated $17 million. That's not quite on par with the concert movies featuring Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Michael Jackson, all of which started with over $23 million. Still, it's noticeably ahead of concert movie flops from Katy Perry and the Jonas Brothers, and is a good figure for an inexpensive movie with a targeted (cheap) marketing campaign.

Sony geared that marketing effort directly at the British boy band's rabid young female fanbase, and they're the ones who accounted for most of the ticket sales: the audience was 87 percent female and 65 percent under the age of 17. They gave the movie a strong "A" CinemaScore, though that's not necessarily indicative of the movie's long-term prospects. A more relevant statistic is its 54.4 percent fall from Friday to Saturday, which is the steepest drop ever outside of December.

In second place, The Butler continued its excellent run by adding an estimated $14.7 million. To date, the historical drama has earned $74 million, and it now appears on pace to finish above $100 million.

Comedy hit We're the Millers earned $12.6 million this weekend for a new total of $109.6 million. This makes it the sixth Jennifer Aniston movie to take in over $100 million at the domestic box office.

Planes took fourth place this weekend with an estimated $7.8 million. To date, the Cars spin-off has banked $70.8 million.

Opening at just 347 theaters, Instructions Not Included took fifth place with an incredible $7.5 million this weekend. That's significantly higher than other Spanish-language movies from Lionsgate's Pantelion division—Girl in Progress and No Eres Tu, Soy Yo earned just $2.6 million and $1.34 million, respectively, in their entire runs. Instructions star Eugenio Derbez also appeared in those movies, which makes Instructions's huge debut even more remarkable by comparison.

Not only do Hispanics represent a growing percentage of the U.S. population, but they also account for a disproportionately high amount of movie theater ticket sales. According to the Motion Picture Association of America's 2012 theatrical market report, Hispanics made up 17 percent of the population, but 26 percent of frequent moviegoers. In spite of this, there are very few movies made each year that are specifically targeted towards Hispanics.

Simply reaching out to Hispanics isn't enough, though, as proven by the low grosses of Girl in Progress and No Eres Tu, Soy Yo. It's also important that the story resonates, and Instructions Not Included's focus on family seems to have clicked with the audience.

The movie received a rare "A+" CinemaScore, which suggests that it could play well in the long-term. With great word-of-mouth and an incredible per-theater average, it wouldn't be surprising at all if Lionsgate attempts to expand this in to nationwide release next weekend.

Meanwhile, the weekend's other new openers bombed hard. Getaway opened in ninth place with just $4.5 million, which is on par with Dark Castle Entertainment's Bullet to the Head. The movie never looked particularly good, had a light marketing effort, and received awful reviews, so this debut is about in line with expectations. It received an awful "C+" CinemaScore, and should disappear from theaters quickly.

Playing at 870 theaters, Closed Circuit earned just $2.54 million over the three-day weekend. Including its Wednesday/Thursday grosses, the movie has so far grossed $3.06 million. Even taking in to account the light release, this debut is noticeably worse than that of past Focus Features Labor Day movies like The Constant Gardener, The American and The Debt.

After a week in limited release, The Grandmaster expanded to 749 theaters and earned $2.45 million this weekend.

As part of a double-bill with Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z finally passed $200 million at the domestic box office this weekend. Meanwhile, Pacific Rim inched past $100 million.

Around-the-World Roundup

While the foreign box office isn't on exactly the same schedule as the U.S. box office, this still turned out to be a fairly quiet weekend overseas.

Elysium led the way with $17.9 million, which includes good debuts in South Korea ($5 million) and Italy ($2 million). To date, the Matt Damon sci-fi flick has earned $97.7 million.

Coinciding with its domestic debut, One Direction: This is Us opened in 53 foreign markets and earned $14.5 million. According to Sony, its openings were on average over twice as high as those of Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. The concert movie was particularly strong in the U.K.—the band's native country—where it earned $5.7 million including previews.

The Conjuring continued to do great business overseas this weekend. The horror sensation added $12.1 million from 41 markets, which included a repeat first place finish in Mexico ($4.2 million). It's already grossed $109.5 million, and still has openings coming up in Brazil, South Korea and Japan.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters earned $11.4 million for a new total of $82.1 million. It still has five major markets left to open in the next three months, and will ultimately earn more than its predecessor ($138 million).

Finally, late last week Monsters University officially passed $700 million worldwide. It's only the fourth Pixar movie to ever reach that milestone after Finding Nemo, Up and Toy Story 3.

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 N One Direction: This is Us TriS $17,000,000 - 2,735 - $6,216 $17,000,000 $10 1
2 1 Lee Daniels' The Butler Wein. $14,742,000 -10.7% 3,330 +220 $4,427 $74,007,000 $30 3
3 2 We're the Millers WB $12,610,000 -3.4% 3,445 - $3,660 $109,565,000 $37 4
4 5 Planes BV $7,756,000 -9.6% 3,259 -119 $2,380 $70,844,000 $50 4
5 N Instructions Not Included LGF $7,500,000 - 347 - $21,614 $7,500,000 - 1
6 7 Elysium TriS $6,300,000 -9.0% 2,539 -374 $2,481 $78,404,000 $115 4
7 3 The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones SGem $5,200,000 -44.3% 3,118 - $1,668 $22,654,000 $60 2
8 4 The World's End Focus $4,759,000 -46.0% 1,553 +2 $3,064 $16,568,000 $20 2
9 N Getaway (2013) WB $4,505,000 - 2,130 - $2,115 $4,505,000 $18 1
10 8 Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters Fox $4,425,000 -16.1% 2,393 -337 $1,849 $54,965,000 $90 4

What a weird week and it seems Fuji what you noticed was correct. One Dimension took the top spot. What a joke.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
On what will likely be the quietest weekend of the year, sci-fi sequel Riddick easily took first place with an estimated $18.7 million.

The Top 12 earned an estimated $66.9 million, which is the lowest figure yet in 2013. Still, that's up 29 percent from last year, which makes this a decent start to the month of September.

Opening at 3,107 theaters, Riddick's $18.7 million debut is right in line with modest expectations. Adjusting for ticket price inflation, Riddick had slightly higher initial attendance than Pitch Black, but was way below 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick (which cost around three times as much). Otherwise, star Vin Diesel doesn't have a ton of movies to compare to, though it is worth noting that this opening is well above 2008's Babylon A.D. ($9.5 million).

With school and the NFL season getting underway, many people tend to stay away from movie theaters around this time of year. As a result, it has historically been a good idea to release movies that appeal to a very specific niche, and to market them directly at that group. Riddick is a perfect example of this: Universal Pictures targeted fans of Pitch Black and star Vin Diesel, and no one else really. In this case, that wound up being good for an opening over $18 million, which is a perfectly decent figure.

Riddick's audience was 59 percent male and 53 percent over the age of 30. Also, 37 percent of the audience was Hispanic, which suggests that Diesel's presence was definitely a draw. The movie received a "B" CinemaScore; considering sci-fi movie tend to be very front-loaded anyway, it's unlikely that Riddick makes it past $50 million.

In its fourth weekend, Lee Daniels' The Butler fell 40 percent to an estimated $8.9 million. To date, the historical drama has earned $91.9 million, and it will pass $100 million by next weekend.

After a surprisingly strong opening last weekend, Spanish-language family comedy Instructions Not Included expanded nationwide in to 717 theaters this weekend. As a result, it was up three percent to $8.1 million, which allowed it to move up to third place. Through 10 days in theaters, the movie has already grossed $20.3 million.

Comedy hit We're the Millers eased 37 percent to an estimated $7.9 million. The movie has now banked $123.8 million, which is more than past August hits Superbad ($121.5 million), Tropic Thunder ($110.5 million) and The 40-Year-Old Virgin ($109.4 million).

Rounding out the Top Five once again, Planes added $4.3 million for a new total of $79.3 million. This is a solid performer for Disney, who made the smart decision to schedule this as the last family movie of the Summer.

3D concert movie One Direction: This is Us plummeted 74 percent to an estimated $4.1 million this weekend. That's one of the steepest drops ever, though it is slightly better than that of the Jonas Brothers movie (77 percent). Still, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never only dipped 55 percent in its second weekend, so a terrible fall isn't a given for these concert flicks. To date, One Direction has earned $24 million, and it will likely wind up just over $30 million by the end of its run.

Writer/director Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine earned $2.7 million this weekend for a new total of $25.4 million. That's ahead of Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, though it's still way off from Midnight in Paris.

In an attempt to drift off the publicity from The Comedy Central Roast of James Franco, Sony re-released This is the End in to 2,161 theaters this weekend. That turned out to be a solid decision: the movie added an estimated $2 million for a new total of $98.95 million, and it now seems poised to pass $100 million by next weekend.

Opening at 412 theaters, The Ultimate Life grossed just $650,000 this weekend. That's a far-cry from past Christian movies like To Save a Life and The Grace Card, both of which opened over $1 million in around the same number of locations.

Around-the-World Roundup

For the second straight week, Elysium led the way overseas with $21.2 million. Over half of that money came from China, where the movie opened in first place with $11.7 million (slightly above Oblivion's debut earlier this year). To date, Elysium has earned $127.1 million overseas, and still has openings in Brazil and Japan on the horizon.

Opening in five new major markets this weekend, White House Down added $12.6 million for a new total of $79.9 million. It took first place in Germany ($3.1 million), France ($2.01 million), Australia ($1.7 million), Mexico ($1.6 million) and Brazil ($1.5 million). With the exception of Australia, White House Down opened significantly higher than Olympus Has Fallen in each of those territories.

One Direction: This is Us has now grossed $26 million overseas, which is more than Justin Bieber: Never Say Never made in its entire run.

Coinciding with its domestic debut, Riddick rolled in to 31 foreign markets this weekend and eanred an estimated $7.4 million. It had a solid $2.2 million start in the U.K. (including previews), and also debuted in Italy (a weak $721,000). The movie expands in to the rest of its markets through November.

Richard Curtis time travel romance About Time took first place in the U.K. with $2.2 million. The movie is set to be released by Universal Pictures in the U.S. in November, and will expand in to many other foreign territories between now and then.

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 N Riddick Uni. $18,673,000 - 3,107 - $6,010 $18,673,000 $38 1
2 2 Lee Daniels' The Butler Wein. $8,900,000 -40.2% 3,330 - $2,673 $91,901,000 $30 4
3 4 Instructions Not Included LGF $8,100,000 +3.2% 717 +369 $11,297 $20,312,000 - 2
4 3 We're the Millers WB $7,925,000 -37.7% 3,445 - $2,300 $123,844,000 $37 5
5 5 Planes BV $4,274,000 -44.9% 3,033 -226 $1,409 $79,279,000 $50 5
6 1 One Direction: This is Us TriS $4,100,000 -74.1% 2,735 - $1,499 $23,991,000 $10 2
7 6 Elysium TriS $3,100,000 -51.9% 2,241 -298 $1,383 $85,077,000 $115 5
8 12 Blue Jasmine SPC $2,688,000 -32.6% 1,069 -110 $2,514 $25,449,000 - 7
9 10 Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters Fox $2,500,000 -44.2% 2,045 -348 $1,222 $59,848,000 $90 5
10 8 The World's End Focus $2,302,000 -54.3% 1,520 -33 $1,514 $21,737,000 $20 3

So Riddick sliced his way to the top spot just like he cleaved Batista in this film. No surprise here. I saw it and it wasn't bad but it wasn't good. Probably better than the second one and tied the first one into it. Not a bad film. Also watched me some Kick Ass 2 too. Wished it did better.