Billy Corgan's NWA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Again, I have to mention how happy I am that it is Corgan doing this and not someone else. I remember back when I was younger that he was a huge fan of Windy City Wrestling, like me. And he definitely comes across as a lifer.

This could be do or die for the NWA though. By making it a self contained promotion, if it fails, then that could just be the end of it. Fortunately, Corgan has the money that he wouldn't have to feel like he has to sell to Vince f it fails.

I don't mean to talk about the NWA just in failing context, though. There's a big divide in perception of the NWA. Many people like me see it as an important historical belt and concept and would like it to continue and be great again. Others see it as a dead "promotion," and I think many of those people don't understand that it never was a promotion. Its perception is mixed with WCW to a degree, with too many people wrongfully thinking that the "NWA became the WCW" and then failed. I hope that Corgan's influence will help bring some status back in the eyes of the people who see it negatively.

I will miss watching the various NWA territories and seeing them as such. Yeah, I know the promotions previously under the NWA banner still exist on their own. I will still watch them too. But really, I wish that Corgan would continue the territory aspect along with having one major promotion, much like Jim Crockett did in the 80s.

Eh, I am all over the place, I know. I am just really, really excited about this. I am very glad now that Corgan didn't get involved too much in the TNA trainwreck at the end. I think this is much better for him and for wrestling.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Again, I have to mention how happy I am that it is Corgan doing this and not someone else. I remember back when I was younger that he was a huge fan of Windy City Wrestling, like me. And he definitely comes across as a lifer.

This could be do or die for the NWA though. By making it a self contained promotion, if it fails, then that could just be the end of it. Fortunately, Corgan has the money that he wouldn't have to feel like he has to sell to Vince f it fails.

I don't mean to talk about the NWA just in failing context, though. There's a big divide in perception of the NWA. Many people like me see it as an important historical belt and concept and would like it to continue and be great again. Others see it as a dead "promotion," and I think many of those people don't understand that it never was a promotion. Its perception is mixed with WCW to a degree, with too many people wrongfully thinking that the "NWA became the WCW" and then failed. I hope that Corgan's influence will help bring some status back in the eyes of the people who see it negatively.

I will miss watching the various NWA territories and seeing them as such. Yeah, I know the promotions previously under the NWA banner still exist on their own. I will still watch them too. But really, I wish that Corgan would continue the territory aspect along with having one major promotion, much like Jim Crockett did in the 80s.

Eh, I am all over the place, I know. I am just really, really excited about this. I am very glad now that Corgan didn't get involved too much in the TNA trainwreck at the end. I think this is much better for him and for wrestling.
TBF we don't know what Corgan is planning. And having a central NWA promotion does not rule out allowing other promotions to be territories per say. You could still allow "Alabama Pro" to be "NWA Alabama Pro" and having a regional belt, and have a central NWA promotion with TV and it's own stories and such.

But for the last couple of years being a NWA territory has just been a cost for the promotions. They had to pay a fairly pricey membership fee to the NWA office and were required to book the champions X amount of times per year. So Corgan setting up a central promotion and allowing "territories" to be off shoots could be the way to go.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
TBF we don't know what Corgan is planning. And having a central NWA promotion does not rule out allowing other promotions to be territories per say. You could still allow "Alabama Pro" to be "NWA Alabama Pro" and having a regional belt, and have a central NWA promotion with TV and it's own stories and such.

But for the last couple of years being a NWA territory has just been a cost for the promotions. They had to pay a fairly pricey membership fee to the NWA office and were required to book the champions X amount of times per year. So Corgan setting up a central promotion and allowing "territories" to be off shoots could be the way to go.

Oh yeah, I understand. I am just thinking out loud for the most part. He definitely appears to be a traditionalist so I can see him doing that. Regardless of what he does, though, I'm interested. When your work is a labor of love rather than just trying to make money, you tend to put out much better work. He's obviously not in it for the money alone so I think he's going to put forth a product from his heart and that is why I know this can be good :)

Stopspot

Reaction score
Here's probably the last episode of 10 pounds of gold to be released before Storm vs Aldis on Sunday.

If there is one thing Corgan knows it is how to make you interested because my interested is legit peaked at this match. I want to see what happens with the NWA, and that is not something I thought I would say in 2017

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
Here's probably the last episode of 10 pounds of gold to be released before Storm vs Aldis on Sunday.

If there is one thing Corgan knows it is how to make you interested because my interested is legit peaked at this match. I want to see what happens with the NWA, and that is not something I thought I would say in 2017

God damn, now THAT was a hype package

Stopspot

Reaction score
The 10 pounds of gold series will continue after November 12. NWA is one of few companies that actually answer when you ask them stuff on youtube and someone asked that question. So until they have a more set structure for what the NWA will be in place we will be able to follow the champion around in the 10 pounds of gold series

Reactions: Mike Thunder

Ryan Blade

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Website
RDSWrestling.com
I fucking love this.

A promoter that genuinely love pro wrestling.

He came to TNA and that didn't work out. He could've easily just said "or nah" and left wrestling after being burned. But my man Billy went and got NWA.

I don't think it's going to get huge or anything, and that's okay. This guy loves wrestling and as long as that continues, this will be nothing less of a good thing for the wrestling business.

Stopspot

Reaction score
It has been confirmed that the Aldis vs Storm match for the world title will be up in full on the NWA youtube as soon as possible.

So we will be able to watch the entire match instead of some cut up highlights. Nice

Stopspot

Reaction score

The match is up. Was a decent little match. Nothing five star worthy but a good match bar one or two botches.

Storm works very well for a 50+ year old.

@Jacob Fox you nerd get in here

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Yeah just watched, for his age, Tim Storm works well. I feel as though if they want to be serious about building up the NWA title again, then putting it on a bigger name down the road can be ideal. Tim Storm can be a champion that respects the "traditions of the NWA" but it'll be nice to give a young face to the brand.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Corgan has declared an open door policy for the NWA. If a wrestler wants to challenge for the belt, or if a promotion wants to book Storm they can contact Dave Lagana who helps Corgan with this and set up a match. And Storm's next defense is set.

Say hello to Jocephus Brody

I remember watching him in Resistance Pro when Corgan helped run it. Jocephus is a good big man wrestler and a hell of a promo.

The match takes place this weekend in Clarksville Tennessee

Reaction score
The fact that the NWA is still around in the first place in 2018 is remarkable.

It may not be the mega force it once was but I'm still interested and care who the NWA World Heavyweight Champion is.

With that said, who's excited to see Cody (Rhodes) vs Nick Aldis for the world heavyweight title at ALL IN?

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
The fact that the NWA is still around in the first place in 2018 is remarkable.

It may not be the mega force it once was but I'm still interested and care who the NWA World Heavyweight Champion is.

With that said, who's excited to see Cody (Rhodes) vs Nick Aldis for the world heavyweight title at ALL IN?
Cody is no longer gonna be in that match, instead it will Flip Gordon.