Billy Corgan sues TNA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score

"The total debt owed by TNA to Aroluxe, Anthem Sports (parent company of the Fight Network) & MCC Acquisitions is $3.4 million."

Holy moley, Dixie

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of this... love? Is that the word? the internet has for the death of TNA. I don't see why people are so damn passionate to see this company go out of business.
(Outside of Foxy, I understand you man)

Nonetheless, if it really doesn't have a tenth life here I really, really feel bad for the wrestlers. (Sure most people won't because "lol they aren't getting paid now!" - we don't know that. They have to be getting SOMETHING to have not walked out already)
As much as people use the phrase "TNA has no identity", it kinda created one with this old-school roster of guys with "the look" and a talk-heavy show - which TNA fans will then blast WWE for having because wrestling is weird - and most of them are pretty unlikely to fit well in other indy promotions. Lashley and the Wolves will be fine, guys like Galloway and Cody are already big on the indy scene, James Storm brings some level of star power...

But like, look at Sandow. With WWE bringing their company to the 21st century by catering to us workrate marks, they kept teasing us with a Sandow push and not delivering because they didn't trust him in the ring to deliver high enough of a star rating. No matter how emotionally invested we got in the character. Guys like Eli Drake and EC3 are perfect on a show where they have the freedom to talk and act and do the stuff they do, then rush through a quick match and hit the showers. With TNA gone, I'm not sure where these guys will fit in in today's pro wrestling

... and don't get me started on where Matt will continue his #brokenbrilliance

Reactions: Jacob Fox

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of this... love? Is that the word? the internet has for the death of TNA. I don't see why people are so damn passionate to see this company go out of business.

Nonetheless, if it really doesn't have a tenth life here I really, really feel bad for the wrestlers. (Sure most people won't because "lol they aren't getting paid now!" - we don't know that. They have to be getting SOMETHING to have not walked out already)
As much as people use the phrase "TNA has no identity", it kinda created one with this old-school roster of guys with "the look" and a talk-heavy show - which TNA fans will then blast WWE for having because wrestling is weird - and most of them are pretty unlikely to fit well in other indy promotions. Lashley and the Wolves will be fine, guys like Galloway and Cody are already big on the indy scene, James Storm brings some level of star power...

But like, look at Sandow. With WWE bringing their company to the 21st century by catering to us workrate marks, they kept teasing us with a Sandow push and not delivering because they didn't trust him in the ring to deliver high enough of a star rating. No matter how emotionally invested we got in the character. Guys like Eli Drake and EC3 are perfect on a show where they have the freedom to talk and act and do the stuff they do, then rush through a quick match and hit the showers. With TNA gone, I'm not sure where these guys will fit in in today's pro wrestling

Wouldn't call it love but rather a sort've "it's about time" thing. Even though my posts might contradict this, I do think TNA going out of business is bad for the industry.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Wouldn't call it love but rather a sort've "it's about time" thing. Even though my posts might contradict this, I do think TNA going out of business is bad for the industry.

And it's okay to contradict yourself in that way, because even though I worry for some of the guys on that roster and have really liked TNA throughout the years...

I honestly don't think losing TNA hurts the industry. Sure there's "behind the scenes" people to worry about, the backstage crew and the people who set up the ring and lighting and all this stuff, but they're going to land on their feet. If the creative team members know what they're doing, someone will pick them up. Pardon me for not shedding too many tears over people like Dixie and Bob Ryder being out of the wrestling business though. Things are going to be OK for most people involved. And it's not like wrestling fans are really hurting for options of new content to watch.

I read someone with an interesting opinion that maybe this will be the wake-up call the wrestling world needs. What if you're backstage in ROH and see TNA finally go under, a company that had a whole lot more going for it at one point than they ever did, how would they react to that backstage? Gotta be wondering about they're future for a company that always been in their own little box, right?

But even if you're WWE. Remember they just had a TV negotiation deal that - outside of the whole "Russo vs Gmail, 2014 feud of the year" lolfest - their TV negotiation deal didn't go much better, since despite being... more DVR-proof than most shows... TV stations didn't think it was worth much. So many third-tier shows recently got cancelled from little miniscule networks you don't remember. While USA loves having WWE since they provide lots of weekly first-run content that'll draw better than NCIS re-runs, but adding Smackdown didn't make enough of a difference. They rushed WWE into doing the Brand Split in order to boost that show...

Now I remember when TNA was super-hyped in 2012 and we all loved the show here on WWEF. Austin Aries won the title in a shocking upset of Bobby Roode and we all marked out, but despite how happy we were to see that show, they kept getting 1.1's. So they panicked and had a big creative shift. They put the belt on Jeff Hardy while a biker gang started running roughshod (urrrggggghhhhhh) and here we are today... while Raw just pulled a 1.8.

Sure it's apples to oranges, and WWE is still swimming in cash from endorsements and the Network and so many other things, but if I'm in WWE, I have to at least ask a few questions if TNA goes under.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I am not even really rooting for TNA to die. My personal animosity is completely directed towards Dixie Carter. Should she realize that selling the cocmpany to Billy Corgan might actually be the best way to insure its survival, once she's completely not involved, I'd be willing to give TNA another chance. However, I don't think that will be enough to save TNA.

Right now, I think some people want TNA to die as a form of euthanasia. It's been teetering on the verge of death for such a long time and rather than die with a little dignity, it keeps holding on for dear life. When Dixie keeps borrowing money to finance shows, only to have those shows not make enough money to stay afloat or least of all pay back the creditors, it just seems like they're extending borrowed time. The company is not doing well and hasn't been doing well for a while, if we believe the reports we hear about it.

For me, it's mostly focused on my dislike of Dixie, though. She has obviously messed it up beyond anything she can fix. She should really just come to a decision as to what to do. If she truly cared about the company at all at this point, she'd probably sell it to Corgan. She really should have sold the tape library to WWE when she had the chance to and the company to Corgan to rebrand. That way, she may have gotten out of this with something to show for it. Seems like that is unlikely now though. She'd rather keep borrowing money that she can't pay back than actually do what is good for the company.

I think some of the TNA haters may even agree with me. Dixie is really the rotten apple in the bushel and perhaps more people might give it more of a chance if her influence was completely gone.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I've been a supporter of TNA for many years, so I shouldn't be lumped into the group of people that crave the death of TNA as some sort of assurance that it was a failed project, and that Hogan/Bischoff murdered it, like they murdered WCW.

Otherwise, I do believe that TNA is a lost caused. They have a great deal of talent on their roster, and it would be a shame if they lost a payday and some good exposure, but most of these guys likely make the good chunk of their money working independents, except for guys like Lashley and EC3, who make almost all their money in TNA and large independents. Anywho, I don't want to see TNA die, but I can't help but feel hopeless for them because no matter how good their product gets, they aren't going to get any higher due to their massive business misteps.

Now I remember when TNA was super-hyped in 2012 and we all loved the show here on WWEF. Austin Aries won the title in a shocking upset of Bobby Roode and we all marked out, but despite how happy we were to see that show, they kept getting 1.1's. So they panicked and had a big creative shift. They put the belt on Jeff Hardy while a biker gang started running roughshod (urrrggggghhhhhh) and here we are today... while Raw just pulled a 1.8.
Not sure what the point of this paragraph is. TNA had always been in the range of attaining 1-1.50 in ratings, at that point. Average monthly ratings were normal as usual, with some drops (likely due to the lack of old-timers being champions such as Sting and Angle in 2011 and RVD and Hardy in 2010). But the overall base of TNA's ratings were fine, and they were making more money than ever. That's apparent by the fact that they attempted a touring schedule in early 2013, which was a complete failure. And to add to the fact that they sold 10,000 seats at the Alamodome (which was sell out for how much of the arena they rented). TNA didn't panic, they fucked up.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
But even if you're WWE. Remember they just had a TV negotiation deal that - outside of the whole "Russo vs Gmail, 2014 feud of the year" lolfest - their TV negotiation deal didn't go much better, since despite being... more DVR-proof than most shows... TV stations didn't think it was worth much. So many third-tier shows recently got cancelled from little miniscule networks you don't remember. While USA loves having WWE since they provide lots of weekly first-run content that'll draw better than NCIS re-runs, but adding Smackdown didn't make enough of a difference. They rushed WWE into doing the Brand Split in order to boost that show...
If you think WWE did the brand split because USA wanted to boost Smackdown ratings out of panic you're being worked. That was always the plan. Smackdown on USA is going fully according to plan and USA are happy with the ratings.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

britishheel

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
beermoney
Favorite Wrestler
chrissabin
I don't want TNA to die, I want it to resurrect like Jesus, come back new, better and without anyone knowing.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Why sue someone with no money?

Isn't that the same as suing a rock?
It doesn't matter that TNA has no money right now, if they are found guilty they are to legally bound to owe Billy Corgan the money.