Biggest "What Ifs" of the Ruthless Aggression era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I think the RA era probably had the most talented roster in WWE history, from top-to-bottom. I think 2002-2003 was really the peak of this amazing roster.

What do you think some of the biggest "What ifs" of the era were? I think the main one being Austin's continued in-ring career in 2002. I think he would've hung up the boots in a year or two regardless, but it would've been interesting to see what Austin's trajectory would have been had he stayed throughout 2002, especially with the title split in September of that year. Another big one would be the continuation of the nWo. If Nash hadn't injured himself again, the stable's continuation would've been interesting especially with the running storyline being HHH and Michaels hinting at reuniting.

PaulDB

Reaction score
I think the RA era probably had the most talented roster in WWE history, from top-to-bottom. I think 2002-2003 was really the peak of this amazing roster.

What do you think some of the biggest "What ifs" of the era were? I think the main one being Austin's continued in-ring career in 2002. I think he would've hung up the boots in a year or two regardless, but it would've been interesting to see what Austin's trajectory would have been had he stayed throughout 2002, especially with the title split in September of that year. Another big one would be the continuation of the nWo. If Nash hadn't injured himself again, the stable's continuation would've been interesting especially with the running storyline being HHH and Michaels hinting at reuniting.
The ruthless aggression era was the most savage of them all. It featured acts that would've been severely punished in the real world and certainly not easily forgiven. Of all the eras, RA was the best one to sell the heels. The bad guys were the best guys. Undertaker, Kane, Brock Lesnar stole the shows they were on and their brutality was awesome. When they were on screen doing their thing, I didn't want to see anything else.

In real time, they'd have criminal records a mile long. In the RA world, they were kings and ruled like no one else at almost no other time.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Another big "What if" is ...

What if The Rock never went to Hollywood after Summer Slam 2002 and stayed being a Professional Wrestler?

John Cena and Randy Orton would most likely not be who and where they are today if that happened.

Cena and Orton would not be 16 and 14 time World Champions.

We also could have seen astounding rivalries with Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, etc.

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
I always wonder how much things would be different if Brock Lesnar had stayed around. I guess the chances of him eventually leaving to do other things was always quite high, but yeah, he was clearly the top guy for a while.

PaulDB

Reaction score
I always wonder how much things would be different if Brock Lesnar had stayed around. I guess the chances of him eventually leaving to do other things was always quite high, but yeah, he was clearly the top guy for a while.

Along with John Cena, Chris Jericho and William Regal, Brock Lesnar was one of the reasons why so many people took an interest in the RE era. I was enamoured with the confidence in their acts of violence that those men generated. They were the most dominant forces I'd seen in a long time. The writing team outdid themselves.

By the way, which Raw or SmackDown was it when William Regal grabbed the interviewer and angrily defended his choice to join The Vince McMahon kiss my a** club, before threatening to crack the interviewer's skull open if he ever showed him a lack of respect again? That to me was the early beginning of the RE era.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

phelath

Reaction score

I would say what if Brock never left

Reactions: PaulDB

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
For some reason, my mind immediately went to Sean O'Haire. That devils advocate gimmick was floating in the vapors between complete cringe and fascinating. He was great in the ring but enjoyed fucking up drunk randoms at bars too much to be trusted with any substantial push.

Depending on how long Ruthless Aggression was in your view, I know it starts and peaks in the early 2000s, not so sure about when the next era starts. PG in 2008? If so, Muhammed Hassan has to be there as a big what if. Incredible promo, meh tier worker but drawing absolute nuclear heat. It really would've been interesting to see how that character developed after getting to the main event, and the country putting the 9/11 patriotism to bed. He comes across as a big time face in his promos in retrospect, downright bizarre hearing him get booed for consensus, lukewarm takes on racism.

PaulDB

Reaction score
What if Eddie and Benoit would not have died.
Their deaths, Brock Lesnar's departure, the Undertaker turning face, Kurt Angle getting injured, D'Lo Brown and Mark Henry's short lived heel run under the auspices of Teddy Long, severely weakened the era. When the key players changed, went away or left us, RA lost its appeal and never really got it back.

Reactions: Crash