Biggest upset in WWE history

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ghetto Anthony

Reaction score
That's why I said "In history dunno, but in recent memory"

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Alberto Del Rio winning the Rumble was a FAR bigger upset than Sheamus beating Cena.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Well, that's one more possibility than the outcome to Cena vs Sheamus.

Option 1: Cena wins

Option 2: Sheamus wins.

That's it. The other guys in the Rumble were thought by everybody to have a bigger chance than him. Nobody has EVER gotten a WrestleMania main event with the amount of time he's been on the roster. Even Brock Lesnar was there longer before he won the Rumble.

Ghetto Anthony

Reaction score
Except Del Rio was receiving a mega push and was just coming out of a feud with a top face of a company. Plus his whole gimmick was it was his destiny to win the Royal Rumble. Where would he go if he had lost it? It MUCH less surprising than having Cena drop the belt to someone who just debuted on the main brand, what, 2 months prior? Come on now.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
MEGA push? He was getting a very good push, but let's not pretend he was getting pushed like Brock Lesnar or Triple H. The only major thing he had done is a feud with Mysterio, and I'll grant you that Mysterio is a main eventer, but he's a B list main eventer. He's not an A list main eventer like John Cena, Triple H, Undertaker or Randy Orton. He's not even Edge's equal. I had him pegged to win MITB and that was a much more realistic situation to most people than winning the Royal Rumble. Sure, he kept saying it was his destiny but that type of bragging is typical for a heel. Most people figured that he'd get eliminated by Rey Mysterio and he'd blame Rey for costing him his "destiny".

I agree that Sheamus going over Cena was surprising, but it's hardly the most surprising thing. The way it was set up made it completely believable with it being a tables match. Plus, Sheamus isn't a commentator or a woman or a 3 ft tall midget, he's a huge, grown ass man who's ripped. He might not have been anywhere near Cena's level but the fact that he could handle himself is more than enough for me to say it's reasonable to suggest that him winning the title is not the most shocking thing that's happened ever or even recently.

AF.

Reaction score
Del Rio winning the Rumble wasn't an upset at all for me. Like GA said, he was literally one of like, 4 possibilities. Him, Cena, Punk and HHH was the consensus.

Orton beating John Cena (biggest face in the company; impeccable WM record) and HHH (mega-face; reputation of winning a lot) is a definite upset. I'm still happy they had him go over, to this day. Best booking decision WWE's made in years.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Essa Rios beating Kurt Angle.

Angle winning the Armegeddon Hell in a Cell.

Rey winning the Royal Rumble (in a kayfabe sense its an upset)

Phenomenal1

Reaction score
Blue Meanie beating JBL

Hurricane beating The Rock

Maven Eliminating Undertaker from the Rumble in 2002

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar