Royal Rumble Big names for Royal Rumble 2017?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WWE News

Extra, Extra!
Reaction score
As previously reported, WWE announced that next year’s Royal Rumble event will be taking place at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This will be the 20th anniversary of the 1997 Royal Rumble at the Alamodome when Shawn Michaels won the WWE Title from Psycho Sid.

With the Alamodome being able to seat around 65,000 fans, the company will need a big name on the card to help push ticket sales. While Shawn Michaels has retired from in-ring competition, there is a good possibly that WWE may use him in some sort of fashion at the event.

Another name that WWE could possibly use at the event is “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, given his ties with the state of Texas. The downside to using Austin is he was hurt at last year’s WrestleMania, and the company probably wouldn’t want to risk doing anything very physical with him.

In regards to The Undertaker and his ties with Texas, at last word he was telling people his match at WrestleMania 32 was his last, so the chances of him being used for promotion is next to none.

If WWE decides to use either of these men, it would be in a small role and nothing major. They could use them for a special guest referee for a top match, or an enforcer role of sorts.

Undertaker I could see, but Austin? Not likely in my opinion.

PWMania

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
So...do we add names of guys we'd like to see in it?

Just want to make sure what the rules are for the thread...

Share whatever you like. If you would like to see someone (or a few different wrestlers) in particular, don't hesitate to post about it. The only rule we have with threads is keeping them on topic. :becky:

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Okay...cool...and just for the record I would not expect any of these guys to actually win the event...

~ Undertaker
~ Kurt Angle
~ Samoa Joe
~ Shinsuke Nakamura
~ Sting
~ X-Pac

And that about covers it...

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
^Oh yeah...I forgot about the original Ryback...

Imagine the pop if he drew No.1...
Send him out first...good luck No.2...

Perhaps we keep Bork Laser away from him
for the time being...just thinking long term...

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
If you want to send the Royal Rumble to the skies, have Finn return at number one and Shinsuke Nakamura enter at two, Samoa Joe at 3. Oh, and Finn wins. Adding Goldberg plus Lesnar to set up that match sounds like a great idea too.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing guys like HBK or SCSA back for one night, but I also wouldn't lose sleep at night if they didn't show up.

Just don't bring back Goldberg. And have the Rumble winner get cheered.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
How long was Benjamin injured for? I'm sure he could get a good pop

He got the surgery done in early September, I believe. So, he'll be in rehab for another 4-6 months, I think. If he makes it to the Rumble, then great.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
They will probably give us a surprise like the Honky Tonk Man.

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Well, ever since retiring, Shawn Michaels has been very adamit about staying retired and has repeatedly expressed his wish of not wanting to return to in ring action, even if it were for one last run or a one night deal. Given the location of the Royal Rumble, I'm sure WWE will make another attempt but I'm guessing it's going to take a lot for them to actually make him change his mind.

Whle one the subject, Solomonster (really good listen this guy, does a podcast every Sunday for those interested) actually pitched a very interesting idea, having Shawn Michaels indeed come out of retirement but not for the Rumble itself. Instead, he proposed HBK returns and challenges AJ Styles in a title match at the Royal Rumble PPV, thus providing a big time marquee match in addition to the Rumble itself that would help sell out the Alamodome. As far as I'm concerned, I would abolutely love to see such a match. Wishful thinking probably but if there is ever a chance, I'd love to see it.

As for the Rumble, I'm sure we'll have the Kurt Angles, Carlitos and MVP's resurface as part of the rumor mill. If Finn Balor is healthy by then, he'll certainly be in it (and probably a top favorite to win it) but I'll go ahead and pitch another idea.

I say AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the title, where Cena wins and ties Ric Flairs record. Later on that night and during the Rumble, say #25 the lights go out, the bell tolls, out comes...the Undertaker. He goes on to win and he challenges Cena to a title match at Wrestlemania, thus fullfilling a plan that WWE have been wanting to happen for several years now.

Now, I know there are several reports out there claiming that Undertaker has supposidly stated that his match with Shane was his last but I personally don't buy it at all. For such a legend, for one of the all time greatest, did that match against Shane feel like the right send off? No, absolutely not. I say Taker has at least one...last ride and the proper way of doing things is facing Cena for the WWE world title at the biggest stage of them all. Undertaker wins, can then come out on Smackdown the following Tuesday and relinquish the title, thank the fans etc etc. THAT is the right way for Taker to step away...