Best and Worst "Company Guys"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Company guys are the superstars who are loyal to their promotion, work hard for their promotion, and do their best to improve their promotion. They are men who, commonly, put the federation's goals before their own. There have been men that have sold out their company for greener grass, and at the same time, there are many good examples of men who bust their ass time and again and they do it all for their boss and for their peers. The question I pose is who are the best and worst "company guys". Meaning, who has done the best to promote and work hard for the company they work for, and who has done nothing but politic, jump ship, and selfishly work their way to glory, regardless of whether or not it was best for the company.

The best wrestlers at helping their company I believe have been AJ Styles, for one. He bleeds Impact. He has dedicated ten years to a promotion that at times has been faulty and even at times has neglected to utilize him in favor of newer, bigger, more important stars (see: Kurt Angle, Christian, and Jeff Hardy). I mean, after being shoved into the spotlight relatively early in TNA, becoming a multi-time X-Division champion and even winning the NWA World Champion more than once, and then all of the sudden, as soon as some WWE talent comes floating along in the form of Angle and Christian, he falls back into a lackey-like role. Still, he worked his ass off while teaming with Tomko when he had somewhat little amount of motivation to do so. This is a guy who is all about his brand, and loves his promotion clearly. He wants TNA to be the biggest company in the world, and that's pretty apparent.

The next one that comes to mind is Sting of course. Perhaps he's just an asshole, but he won't go to the WWE. He stuck with WCW from it's start, all the way to its finish and he never once stepped foot inside the same building as a WWF event (prepared to perform at least), and then, he joined TNA. After joining TNA, he helped put it on the map and despire an almost impossible to refuse opportunity last year, he stuck the promotion that has trusted him with the strap multiple times, and he never ever turned his back on the promotion that has done so much for him.

Others I could mention are The Rock, who never went anywhere but the WWE or anywhere else even though it'd be hard not to believe that someone has given him a jingle at one point or another, plus Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Kane, and of course, above all, the ultimate company guy, Triple H. Although, it's debatable that at times he's been a pain, because he may or may not have, at times, put his own goals in front of the WWE's. Though if you ask me, his reign of death in the mid-2000's was only sensible. I don't know that anyone except for him could have been the face of the company from 2003-2004. And though he squashed many young guys, he was their major draw for a reason. He was damn good at a time when the WWE was a little 'meh'.

As for the worst, the first two I think of are Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. These two have always been about the money, and I don't think they give a damn if they have to leave WWE to go to NJPW to get paid more, they'd do in the bat of an eye. As long as the moolah is there, they will come. And that's not to say that I don't love the fact that they left the WWF and formed The Outsiders and later the nWo, but that's not giving it all for your company. At all. And to that extent, Hulk Hogan is very easily bought out too, and can be a prick when he doesn't get his way. So I'll classify him with his nWo partners.

I would also add that Jeff Hardy is about the shittiest guy to have in your company if you're looking for team players. He's distrustful, selfish, reckless, and generally unrealiable. He didn't voluntarily go from WWE to TNA and back twice, but the fact that he put his personal thrills over the company's demands is enough for me to call him a bad company guy. He is the LAST person I would build a company around because he isn't worth the hassle of always getting your plans fucked up because this jerkoff wants to go do blow in the bathroom before a show. So forget that.

And as a neautral addition to this, I would just like to state that I don't feel Ric Flair is a good company guy. But he isn't a bad one either. He did leave WCW at one point on terms that he wasn't getting his way, and sold out a company in it's youth to go to the WWF for a little while, but he did come back and he did give WCW his all in his first and second stints. Not to mention he's the main reason WCW ever got on the map, period, so I'll give him that. Still, I feel like the money he's said to demand and the fact that at one point, he left WCW hanging devalues that. Also, the fact that he wrestled in TNA after his big WWE retirement match was some hardcore bullshit and shows how little he valued his blowoff with Shawn at Mania. But, once again, he's in between. I don't feel he's the company man that some people portray him to be, but he never did much to destroy a business, so it's ok.

Anyways, sound off my friendly friends.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
One of the worst would be Joey Styles' least favourite person Mike Awesome. Had a great promising career with ECW and threw it all away for nothing in WCW.

One of the best would be Rey Mysterio. Stayed until the bitter end with WCW and was even reluctant to go to WWE but when he did he has never looked back and has become their second most profitable star.

Reaction score
One of the worst would be Joey Styles' least favourite person Mike Awesome. Had a great promising career with ECW and threw it all away for nothing in WCW.

Awesome had a very promising career in ECW (Where he wasn't being paid) and threw it all away for nothing (Other than you know...a paycheck) for WCW.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Best guy is John Cena. He's totally loyal to WWE. he will never leave until he can't walk anymore. He is their poster boy. He's granted more wishes than anyone else. He's John Cena. But it's still hard to say because Shawn Michaels stayed with WWE for 20 years and even came back after a 4 year back injury. Hunter has been for 15 years and is now in control backstage. Undertaker has had a brutal 20 year career and he's still going. It's hard to say.

There's a lot of worst. Ric Flair jumped to TNA after WWE gave him a beautiful fairwell. Um let's see The Rock left to Hollywood when he was on top of the world. Goldberg and Brock Lesnar both quit on the same night after they were the two of the biggest stars in wwe. There's a lot of them alright.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Still, I think Rock deserves credit for never appearing for TNA or anyone else while he was away from a WWE ring, and even though he went to pursue dreams in tinsel town, he pimps the WWE name whenever possible, and gets it plenty of exposure that they might not get otherwise. Plus, he doesn't owe anyone anything, but he's coming back to give WWE a big boost by wrestling at this year's Mania. He doesn't have to have this match to be a legend, he already is. But he's doing it because WWE needs that little extra something heading into a big new year with the WWE Network and other developments in mind.

Also, I'd say Mike is still a bad company guy. Like Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, he made a good personal business decision, but a shitty one for ECW and their roster. I love Mike Awesome, just like I love Hall and Nash, but he made a selfish decision by leaving his promotion while he still held their title. At the very least, he should have dropped the strap first. Although, you could argue that by appearing on WCW TV as ECW World Champ, he granted them some exposure and therefore indirectly helped them out...

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I'd like to nominate Bully Ray and Devon as bests. Whether it be ECW, WWE or TNA, both guys have always worked hard and really got behind their employers. They may not be dedicated to one particular company, but they work damn hard for whomever is paying them.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Amen to that. I will say that these two have long been some of the top workers in the business and two of the hardest working individuals in this decade. People might feel like they did little to advance either WWE or TNA, but the TLC matches alone were a HUGE deal for WWE, and really tested the limits of human capability. It showed the world that WWE can go hard. Real hard. As for TNA, they helped put it on the map, especially from a tag team standpoint. And their tag division has since been on of the best things about them from week to week, each month of each year. Their contributions to ECW are apparent, and thery've always loved that company and to me, are two of the top alums of that business.

Reaction score
Also, I'd say Mike is still a bad company guy. Like Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, he made a good personal business decision, but a shitty one for ECW and their roster. I love Mike Awesome, just like I love Hall and Nash, but he made a selfish decision by leaving his promotion while he still held their title. At the very least, he should have dropped the strap first. Although, you could argue that by appearing on WCW TV as ECW World Champ, he granted them some exposure and therefore indirectly helped them out...

He wasn't being paid though. I believe Awesome said it was something like 6 weeks of pay he was behind in getting. This while having a family of two young children. Furthermore, he didn't even have an actual signed contract. Part of being a good company man is having the company take care of you. Do you think Sting would have cared so much about WCW had they not been paying him?

If you're not taking care of your guys, then they're not really your guys. The fact that Awesome did come back to drop the belt to Tazz showed that he cared about ECW far more than he gets credit for. He certainly didn't have to do that.

Mike Awesome is just a case of a company burying a guy because they don't want to look like a bad company.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'll give you that much. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing quite frankly.

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
I'd say Shane Douglas used to be a good company man overall. When he was passionate about where he was, he was in all the way.