Benjamin - Face or Heel?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kizza

I don't see how Shelton is really like Benoit. Benoit was a gritty, technical, beat-you-up kinda guy. Shelton is a flashy, high spots put on a show type character. Benoit would beat the crap out of you because he could, he brought that kind of aura, Shelton just isn't believable to me when he beats someone up.

straight_edge76

I dont think Benjamin should even be in the same sentence as The Rabid Wolverine. Regardless of what he did, there will never be anyone who could bring the same kind of Intensity that benoit did. He was named the Rabid Wolverine for a reason.

The Clash

Reaction score
I prefer him as a face, because I reckon he has pretty crap mic skills, and a good quality heel needs good, quality mic skills, which Im afraid to say Shelton Benjamin doesen't have.

But If he was face, that wasn't matter, as he is great in the ring and he looks impressive,and he has a good set of moves.
He was way more over as a face and some of the angles he was in were gold, like the one with his mum and the one when he knocked 'Taker out of the rumble, he got over pretty well then.

The_Model

Reaction score
I personally think he's better as a heel and I enjoy watching him more. Not sure if I could ever see him being a face again.

y2j__legend

Reaction score
I was interested to see where the WWE would go with a heel Shelton Benjamin and when it first started off I enjoyed it, until he became too one dimensional with all of his Gold Standard schtick, so I would much rather see it the other way around these days with MVP heel and Benjamin the face.

seX-Power

^ One dimensional?

I'd rather say no dimensional as Shelton hasn't developed his Gold Standard charachter at all in his time as a heel apart from saying 'I iz teh golden standurrd'.

I think Shelton would be better off as a face and he should turn after the draft. If he is face he can get over by using high flying moves but if he is heel, he'd have to rely more on charisma which... well... he has none of.

Moonlight Drive

Shelton and Benoit are different in every aspect. Like Kiz said, the gimmick worked for Benoit because of the way he wrestled, having it for Benjamin would make no sense. Why don't we make give Rey a monster gimmick while we're at it?

Benjamin hasn't displayed charisma as face or heel, so he's pretty much the same either way to me. Pair him up with a manager and he'd be able to get over pretty well as a heel tbh.

And HBK vs Benjamin from 05 is extremely overrated. People just love it because of the ending.

CenaMark54

I say make him a face. For several reasons. First his moveset. Fast moving, athletic, high flyers should almost always be faces. Secondly, it takes more ability to be a heel. I know it may sound wierd, but you have to have more personality to be a heel. Its usually harder to get the fans to hate you then to like you. As a heel, you also have to control the pace of a the match. You can't spend the entire match trying to get all your moves in. You have to sell, work deliberately and in essence make the faces look good.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I say make him a face. For several reasons. First his moveset. Fast moving, athletic, high flyers should almost always be faces. Secondly, it takes more ability to be a heel. I know it may sound wierd, but you have to have more personality to be a heel. Its usually harder to get the fans to hate you then to like you. As a heel, you also have to control the pace of a the match. You can't spend the entire match trying to get all your moves in. You have to sell, work deliberately and in essence make the faces look good.

I like him as a heel. When he's allowed to control the match, he does a good job. He's also really good at being an annoying heel.

Soulpower

I would keep him as a heel. He's still pretty awful on the mic, but he just seems more confident with his current character than he ever has in the past.

Fast moving, athletic, high flyers should almost always be faces.

I actually think this helps Shelton. He can be cocky and overconfident, but when the match starts it turns out that he has every right to be cocky, which would actually make the fans hate him even more.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Shelton as a face or a heel... I'll make my decision when I see him play either one with the slightest shred of believability. He has no charisma whatsoever. No, not like "eh he's kind of a bad actor", NONE. Going out to the ring and saying "gold stocks are rising in the recession and I am the gold standard therefore you can't beat me because I'm better than you" does not make you a heel. People say he needs acting classes, but I say that before he takes those, he needs to learn to speak at all. Once he learns to do that and therefore can actually play a heel or face, i'll make my decision. Because as of right now, Shelton's alignment as a heel or face is like taking the Political Compass test and leaving every answer blank.

CenaMark54

I would keep him as a heel. He's still pretty awful on the mic, but he just seems more confident with his current character than he ever has in the past.

Fast moving, athletic, high flyers should almost always be faces.

I actually think this helps Shelton. He can be cocky and overconfident, but when the match starts it turns out that he has every right to be cocky, which would actually make the fans hate him even more.

The only time I ever hear him get a reaction is at wrestlemania and its usually a face pop because of some spot.

I don't think the fans hate him because of his cockiness. It just seems like they dont care. Thats why I think his best bet is as a face. If he can't get a reaction for his character, he can get a reaction from the high spots. He doesn't even really need to talk.

Unless you are a monster or giant, a heel usually has to have personality and mic skills to get over.

Axis

Benjamin is like Benoit, no matter how low average their mic skills are or if they're heel or face, you know they'll put on a good match. Regardless of who they're facing, you will be entertained.

Comparing Shelton Benjamin to Chris Benoit is a fucking crime. Benoit got great reaction for over a decade, in front of virtually every sort of audience. Benjamin has beaten Triple H and Ric Flair, and has competitively faced Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker, and STILL can't manage to get a consistently hot reaction from the fans.

noumenon

^Good point.

There's only one thing Shelton needs. BRING BACK MOMMA!

imported_Eugster

Reaction score
They should keep Shaelton heel but they need to develop his charactor more. His run as US Champ is terrible but could have been much better, well taht's creative for ya