Beared Witness To A Cool Event at College Yesterday

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
My college raised the Rainbow flag yesterday to represent tolerance of our GLBT students, and staff. I'm all for the belief that nobody should have to live in fear of hate, and violence because of what they are as a person. I have supported the gay community for years.
I actually believe the thing we did yesterday had to do with a kid who was beaten to death some time back because he was gay. I don't think it is for me as a mortal to judge a person on their lifestyle if it is harmless to others. Sure there's things where mortal judgement is necessary like murder, rape, and child abuse. But I don't feel it is for me to pass judgement on people because of how they were born.
I was proud to be a part of this step forward for peaceful coexistence.

MikeRaw

How do you know they were born like that? How do you know they didn't choose to be gay?

Reaction score
How do you know they were born like that? How do you know they didn't choose to be gay?

What I meant was born to the life they were meant to live. Not genetically, just destiny if you can understand that. I believe everyone is what they are because that's what life intended. I was born as a mixed ethnic girl for a reason. With all the joys, and benefits as well as the trials, and tribulations we face in life it is as it was meant to be. I don't know the reason why I'm in this life right now, probably never will but I work with what I have.
To me everything has a purpose in life, and we're here to serve whatever that purpose may be. Life is about learning,teaching, understanding, putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and using these experiences to strengthen your soul.
People are different. That's just how it is, and I accept that as fact. I have no right to infringe on someone's rights, or hurt another because we differ. So I proudly support anything that promotes the idea of tolerance, and peace. Even you and I disagree a lot , but the debates are never ugly. I would never intentionally try to hurt you. It's ok to differ it makes life interesting. I respect you , and your beliefs as a person. That's just the kind of belief I have.

MikeRaw

What I meant was born to the life they were meant to live. Not genetically, just destiny if you can understand that. I believe everyone is what they are because that's what life intended. I was born as a mixed ethnic girl for a reason. With all the joys, and benefits as well as the trials, and tribulations we face in life it is as it was meant to be. I don't know the reason why I'm in this life right now, probably never will but I work with what I have.
To me everything has a purpose in life, and we're here to serve whatever that purpose may be. Life is about learning,teaching, understanding, putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and using these experiences to strengthen your soul.
People are different. That's just how it is, and I accept that as fact. I have no right to infringe on someone's rights, or hurt another because we differ. So I proudly support anything that promotes the idea of tolerance, and peace. Even you and I disagree a lot , but the debates are never ugly. I would never intentionally try to hurt you. It's ok to differ it makes life interesting. I respect you , and your beliefs as a person. That's just the kind of belief I have.

Strange belief. But, it's yours, so, whatever you choose is your right, I guess.
Back on topic though, I'm overall pretty indifferent to gay people. As far as treating them on an everyday basis, or whenever I see them, I treat them the same as anyone else. I'm not gonna lie.... Every once in a while, the thought of gay hay people distrubs me a bit. It does seem a little gross to me (what they would do behind closed doors), but I don't let it affect how I think of them overall. As long as they leave it to themselves, there's no problem. So with that being said, ya, it's pretty cool what your college did, and it IS pretty sick that someone was actually beaten to death for being gay.

MikeRaw

Did you read my post? I clearly stated that it grosses me out to think about it, but that I don't let it effect how I view or treat them. I never said I hated them for it. In fact, quite the opposite. But instead of lying and saying it doesn't gross me out, I did tell the truth. The thought of it makes me sick, just like the thought of old people rattling the headboards makes me sick as well. You must've missed the part though where I said that desptie how gross it is, I have no real issue with them.

PHIism

Reaction score
The kid that was beaten to death, was he a student at your college? Anyway, that is pretty cool, alot of colleges (including mine), schools etc that I know try to keep any...acknowledgment really...to a minimum, only a few of months ago I almost failed my assignment purely because a piece I wrote was about Stonewall, sad really. ;)

Reaction score
The kid that was beaten to death, was he a student at your college? Anyway, that is pretty cool, alot of colleges (including mine), schools etc that I know try to keep any...acknowledgment really...to a minimum, only a few of months ago I almost failed my assignment purely because a piece I wrote was about Stonewall, sad really. ;)

No Matthew Shepard was a student at University of Wyoming according to the news. People argue that it wasn't a "Hate Crime" because the guys that murdered him claimed to not know he was gay. Regardless he was gay, and now he's dead...it's a real fucking shame too.My state PA as far as I know has no official laws against Hate Crimes...yet. We're working to change that.
Matthew Shepard's mother had a remembrance rally at one of our PA colleges nearby just about a month ago. These extreme Right Christian Groups came out to protest against her. How vile. We at RACC decided we will not have hate in our school so hence the raising of the Rainbow flag to symbolize it.