• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

another ~BiG! AnNoUncEmEnT!~ from your favorite wrestling promotion

Reaction score
Instead of firing Vince Russo, who has proven his booking doesn't draw fans, money or ratings and bring in someone who could perhaps turn things around, TNA's big new is that they've decided to go back to Thursdays.

I'd be disappointed, but it's a step back in the right direction. Moving to Mondays was a mistake to begin with and Dixie and company should have seen this coming. They should have had a few more special Monday night one shots to see how their ratings did before they made such a bold move. Fortune doesn't always favor the bold.

Unfortunately, if they do get rid of Russo, who can they bring in? They caused Jim Cornette to become jaded enough to burn his bridge and Paul Heyman is doubtful as last I heard he had no interest in getting back into wrestling. I would hope they wouldn't give power back to Jeff Jarrett - I wasn't a fan of his booking, though he's not as bad as Russo. Who's left? Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan? I shutter to think what they'd give us with absolute power over the whole show. TNA has pretty much backed themselves into a corner with their booking staff, as they seem to do with all of their business decisions.

Reaction score
Instead of firing Vince Russo, who has proven his booking doesn't draw fans, money or ratings and bring in someone who could perhaps turn things around, TNA's big new is that they've decided to go back to Thursdays.

I'd be disappointed, but it's a step back in the right direction. Moving to Mondays was a mistake to begin with and Dixie and company should have seen this coming. They should have had a few more special Monday night one shots to see how their ratings did before they made such a bold move. Fortune doesn't always favor the bold.

Unfortunately, if they do get rid of Russo, who can they bring in? They caused Jim Cornette to become jaded enough to burn his bridge and Paul Heyman is doubtful as last I heard he had no interest in getting back into wrestling. I would hope they wouldn't give power back to Jeff Jarrett - I wasn't a fan of his booking, though he's not as bad as Russo. Who's left? Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan? I shutter to think what they'd give us with absolute power over the whole show. TNA has pretty much backed themselves into a corner with their booking staff, as they seem to do with all of their business decisions.

Or try someone who hasn't done it before but has proven creative genius and isn't a complete mark for themselves; Mick fuckin Foley. The man knows how to get over and was never in the business solely for himself. He's a proven mind in regards to writting, having success in fiction and non fiction and he would just do what TNA really needs more than anything: what's right for business.

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ Foley can probably help write promos and give ideas, but I don't think he can put together a wrestling show.

Russo is really good at writing promos anyways, even though you always get the infamous "you see" line in there :laugh:

Reaction score
Writting successful books for children, then having New York Times best sellers in both fiction and non-fiction categories is far harder than putting together a wrestling program, especially if you've been in the industry and had the success that Foley has had. Wrestling is one of the most formulaic things to ever hit the airwaves and Foley knows how to diversify. He could easily do it.

Other options: Mike Tenay, Jim Ross

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ I'm not totally denying Foley as a possible replacement, but I honestly think the business has passed guys like him, Heyman, Russo, Hogan, Bischoff, and Cornette by. Its a different era now, TNA needs a booker who's young enough to understand what TODAY's wrestling fans want.

Reaction score
^ I'm not totally denying Foley as a possible replacement, but I honestly think the business has passed guys like him, Heyman, Russo, Hogan, Bischoff, and Cornette by. Its a different era now, TNA needs a booker who's young enough to understand what TODAY's wrestling fans want.

I doubt that about Heyman. When he booked SD in 2002-03, it was the must watch program with the SD six and Lesnar's awesomeness. And not once did he rely on his ECW style of booking, he was changing with the times. Then he booked the ECW PPVs, which were the highest bought non-Wrestlemania PPVs of those years. The only failure he has had is the WWECW he booked and even at that Vince and Stpeh had so much input that I wouldn't call that a Heyman product. Heyman has always been the booker who was with the times. He can maximize minimal talent and he'd really be TNA's best option, if not he than an advocate of Heyman like Foley. Who would you suggest, Chess?

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ Like I said, someone from outside the Heyman, Bischoff, Hogan, Foley, Russo circle, I don't know exactly who (Matt Conway?) but he needs to be young and in tune with what today's wrestling fans want. I think the business has passed a lot of these guys by and its time for someone new to step up to the plate and take control. Who that person is remains to be seen

EDIT: You make a good point about Heyman, but who knows if he can still book a good wrestling product TODAY especially since he probably lost his "hunger" for the business

Hit N Run

Reaction score
Not a huge surprise, hopefully this means they'll get this stupid we're already equal to the WWE out of their heads, and get back to producing a great wrestling show.