Another Attitude Era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
The WWE is currently putting out a kid friendly, PG product much like the early 90's. Many people have been very critical of the current PG WWE, from the no blood to the no chair shots, its quite a cause for debate not only on IWF but among wrestling fans all over the place. The main reason the WWE did adpot an edgier product which was the Attitude Era was simply to comepete with, and ultimately beat WCW in what is now known as the Monday Night War.

TNA has attempted to create a edgier product much like the WWE did back in the 90s. Personally I do not think it will be nearly as successful but I digress, do you think that the WWE will ever have another Attitude Era like they did back in the 90s? If so, how long do you think until they do decide to drop the PG kid friendly stuff and get a bit edgier?

Double J

Reaction score
As long as Linda is running for office they'll stay PG rating. At TNA's status I can't see them actuallly competing with WWE like WCW any time soon so WWE really has no point in changing their ratings. One thing that made WCW able to compete with the WWE was the whole nWo storyline which at that time was never really heard of before and at this time been done so many times that people can't take any large factions serious anymore.

With the former WCW writers behind TNA I can't see them coming up with any new storyline that hasn't been done a thousand times before to make them compete with WWE and at this point they're not trying to hard to push anyone new that could draw and instead focusing on bringing in former talents. And yes that did work in WCW but no one from WWE that would actually jump ship to TNA now would have the impact that Hogan, Luger, Nash, and Hall had at their time.

Honestly with the rate TNA is going I see one of two things going; 1) eventually Hogan, Bischoff and all the people they brought with them will quit TNA and/or go to WWE leaving all the TNA guys that was there before to carry on TNA back to how they originally were. Or 2) Hogan and company leave TNA and by that time all the original potential TNA talent had already jumped to WWE which causes TNA to close down. Much like what happened with WCW and Jericho, Beniot,ect,ect.

Now TNA could get better and give WWE a run that makes WWE change their ideas and ratings but at this point in time I just don't see it happening.

Also forgot to mention that one of the factors that made the Attitude era was that it was focused on guys who could talk like the Rock, Jericho, and Austin. Right now TNA has no one that can match up to those guys and the ones that WWE have aren't even in the main event half of the time.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw this exact same topic either here or in another forum.....

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean to trail off, I am just having a huge deja vu moment, lol.

Double J

Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw this exact same topic either here or in another forum.....

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean to trail off, I am just having a huge deja vu moment, lol.

Actually I thought the samething when I first saw it. I think either the other was removed or was just in another topic that had trailed off subject.

soulreaper545

Reaction score
if another attitude era is going to happen. it needs to be done fast. Seeing as the next PPV is Extreme Rules, the whole no blood thing is going to destroy the concept completely

maty619

Reaction score
I think that there could be a new attitude era soon, after the comments from Darren Young saying, 'That's PG right' I think that could mark the gradual chnge from PG. I think it will first start off with superstars (only the best talkers otherwise it would look awful) taking the piss out of the PG rating. From that I think someone (probably someone like CM Punk) will start to rebel against the PG rating (of course this is all in kayfabe) and start purposly hitting people with unprotected chair shots, make himself bleed as a statement in one of his promos, maybe even slip the odd swear word into his speeches. This would then mark the change away from PG.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
If WWE gets edgier again. TNA can pack their bags and go home. They will no longer have anything to alternatively offer to wrestling fans. Most TNA fans like TNA because they don't like Nickelodeon WWE. God forbid they actually start bringing interest in their X Division again. WWE Attitude = Death of TNA.

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
The WWE does what's best for business and it's shareholders. Right now it just so happens to be PG television. Much like it was in the 80's and early 90's

But who knows, maybe attitude era style wrestling may become what's best for business in the future. The new crop of fans the WWE is cultivating now may grow up and demand edgier TV. That's what happened when the little Hulkamaniacs grew up. But, until that time, the attitude era is not coming back.

Reaction score
I dont think the attitude era will ever happen any time soon, gotta get used to pg but if it does it would be fucking awesome.

maty619

Reaction score
Think about it, the Cena fans that first marked out for him have aged about 5-6 years now. The age they probably were when they first started liking him was probably about 7, that means they will now be around 12-13, the age when children do start to like swearing and actual action that would not be seen on a PG show. Therefore round about now could be the perfect time to switch to a new attitude era.

Reaction score
Yeah but how would they make it not look completly strange. Like make a role model like John Cena go from saying YOURE POOPY to YOURE A MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE

maty619

Reaction score
Intergrate it slowly, start off with him saying damn, something that he would probably say. Then let him say ass, getting ruder and then just let him go bleep crazy! It would take about a year to do but it would be worth the time and effort for sure.

Reaction score
Yeup it would be worth the wait. The most non PG they have recently gone is talking about being kicked in the balls but they replace balls with grapes or something.