Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Their fight - was fucking amazing! It was unbelievable! I watched it entirely just sitting on the edge of my seat saying "oh my fucking god" etc.

Chael Sonnen talked a TONNE of smack to Silva, ridiculous amounts, and he stepped into the cage and backed up every word! Amazing fight! Frankly, I am upset Chael didn't get the win, but in my eyes (and I imagine a lot of others) he won my respect, BIG TIME!

Anderson Silva on the other hand, got lucky. I don't dislike Silva. I love to watch him fight. This fight was lucky, for him. He got dominated and in the last couple of minutes got VERY lucky and caught Chael in a triangle. Not taking anything away from Chael or Silva's defence, but this was just unlucky/lucky.

For the first time I think, ever, Silva has been treated like; and made to look like a HUMAN. Chael got in there, wasn't scared by his previous fights, and showed the world that if you pressure him, you can knock him down and dominate him.

The questions I want to ask y'all is:

1 - Chael Sonnen: what's next for him? He dominated this fight, and made one mistake. What's next? Would you like to see a rematch? You think he's deserved it? You feel his smack talk was backed up?

2 - Anderson Silva: has he been made to look human and very beatable? Do you think he's lost that terrifying 'aura' about him now, and future opponents won't be shit scared of him? Does he need to re-establish himself as the scary mofo in his next fight, with a quick, brutal victory?

3 - Anderson Silva V GSP: Your thoughts on this. Going to happen still? GSP's chances of winning?

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with just about everything you posted. I just was able to watch the fight on a replay and I have to say Silva narrowly excaped Sonnen's onslaught. It was all Sonnen for about 4 rounds, he took down Anderson 3 or 4 times and landed god knows how many strikes. I am not really a huge Silva fan, but I enjoy watching him fight but as the fight grew closer I wanted him to lose, like you said Sonnen backed up every word that he said about Sliva and he earned not only respect in my eyes but I also feel he may have won some respect in Dana White and the UFC's as well. Part of me wants to think they weren't expecting him to perform as well as he did.

As for GSP/Silva I have heard Sliva say that he won't fight GSP. Honestly I feel he would pick apart GSP, I find GSP highly overrated. But tbh I think the fight itself would be pretty dull.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Sonnen may get a rematch, but he may have to wait as the rumors flying around is that Vitor Belfort is next in line. Chael has been steadily getting better. When he went to WEC (when they still had the 185lbers), he took on Paulo Filho, who was the titleholder at the time. Filho was considered one of the best at 185, if not top 5 or top 3. Sonnen schooled him, until he got caught in an armbar. It was a controversial ending as Sonnen never tapped, he kept yelling no, no, no, and the ref stopped it. Sonnen got a rematch with Filho and demolished him, handing him his first career loss. When WEC disbanded the 185lb division and UFC absorbed it, Sonnen came in after his loss to Maia and strung together wins over Marquardt, Okami, and Miller, quite impressive. He then earns his title shot and owns the seemingly indestructible Silva for over 4 rounds. Props to Silva for doing what he had to do being down 4 rounds to none. He had to finish and he did. I think Sonnen showed he's no pushover. He has the tools to be a champion, I think he just needs to brush up on his BJJ a bit more.

As for Silva, I've been saying it since the UFC "hype machine" started swining from his nutsack that the guy is beatable. Anyone can be beaten on any given night. And if you've watched the last few fights from Silva, you shouldn't be impressed. He had a garbage fight against Maia, and got schooled in the Sonnen fight. If you watched his title defense against Lutter, I think Lutter would have had a chance had he night been overdieted and tired. Silva hype machine really got going when he moved up to 205 and beat James Irvin, which I couldn't understand why anyone got excited over that fight. Im not sayin Irvin is bad, but it sure as hell wasn't someone I would put as even a top 25 guy. Silva's day is coming, it's only a matter of time. Will it be against Sonnen??? Maybe. It could be Belfort. And don't forget about Alan Belcher. Im wishing the UFC would let Jake Shields fight at 185 as well, but I don't think it will happen.

Reaction score
Well.. not really. I mean if you look at the first round when Sonnen tagged him, Silva didnt even block and let Sonnen hit him intentionally. Silva has beaten much better fighters than Sonnen.
In that fight, he was taken down too easily. I have a feeling it might have been fixed.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Well.. not really. I mean if you look at the first round when Sonnen tagged him, Silva didnt even block and let Sonnen hit him intentionally. Silva has beaten much better fighters than Sonnen.
In that fight, he was taken down too easily. I have a feeling it might have been fixed.

I don't think fixed, I think Anderson underestimated Sonnen. Sonnen is probably the best wrestler he's faced, and yes that includes Henderson. Silva is arrogant, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Anderson was seeing what Sonnen had. Anderson has been taken down quite easily before. Lutter did it and he was overdieted for that fight and didn't even make weight. Anderson was off his game, Chael was on. That's how fights go. If it were fixed, I surely don't think Anderson would let himself get handled the way he did for 4 rounds. Why take a chance and cut so close that you have no choice but to pull out a finish in the 5th??? The fixed theories have flown rampant before in MMA, and I don't buy it. Fighters have off nights no matter how good they are, or who they've beaten in the past. To each their own though. But fixed, I don't think so.

Reaction score
I think Anderson's rib injury played a major factor for him to appear not so great in this bout.

Reaction score
I don't think fixed, I think Anderson underestimated Sonnen. Sonnen is probably the best wrestler he's faced, and yes that includes Henderson. Silva is arrogant, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Anderson was seeing what Sonnen had. Anderson has been taken down quite easily before. Lutter did it and he was overdieted for that fight and didn't even make weight. Anderson was off his game, Chael was on. That's how fights go. If it were fixed, I surely don't think Anderson would let himself get handled the way he did for 4 rounds. Why take a chance and cut so close that you have no choice but to pull out a finish in the 5th??? The fixed theories have flown rampant before in MMA, and I don't buy it. Fighters have off nights no matter how good they are, or who they've beaten in the past. To each their own though. But fixed, I don't think so.

Since silva was stupid and a clown in his last fight, he had to gain the respect back for his fans with this fight to give an emotional fight because everyone wanted Sonnen to lose because he talked a shitload of crap. So I even knew in the end Silva was gonna get him in a triangle so that way it sets up a rematch and so now everyone praising Silva, Dana white is talking bout a rematch instead of vitor belofort. I know hes good but come on. Silva isnt nate marquardt. Silva was letting Sonnen hit him because Sonnen doesnt hit that hard, and Silva has a good chin because hes a Muay Thai fighter. In my opinion, I think it was fixed.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Since silva was stupid and a clown in his last fight, he had to gain the respect back for his fans with this fight to give an emotional fight because everyone wanted Sonnen to lose because he talked a shitload of crap. So I even knew in the end Silva was gonna get him in a triangle so that way it sets up a rematch and so now everyone praising Silva, Dana white is talking bout a rematch instead of vitor belofort. I know hes good but come on. Silva isnt nate marquardt. Silva was letting Sonnen hit him because Sonnen doesnt hit that hard, and Silva has a good chin because hes a Muay Thai fighter. In my opinion, I think it was fixed.

You need to get back on the trolley, son.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Since silva was stupid and a clown in his last fight, he had to gain the respect back for his fans with this fight to give an emotional fight because everyone wanted Sonnen to lose because he talked a shitload of crap.

Honestly, if anything that made me want Sonnen to win even more. I am honestly getting tired of Silva. I am a fan of his, I enjoy watching him fight but he is getting way to lackadasical (sp?) in the octagon imo. He really hadn't given his all in a fight imo since he fought Forrest at I believe it was 101 or 102. I think more people need to do what Sonnen did when they are fighting Silva, he if anything distracted Silva and he was getting rocked for most of the fight. He got in his head, and that's something in MMA you can't let someone do.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yeah, you dont know anything. You're just a blueberry that believes everything he sees on TV.

Very good.

Is it my turn to make broad sweeping statements now that don't mean anything? Okay here goes.

You're one of those tinfoil hat wearing types who sees conspiracy or the fix in everything.

Seriously though. I think what happened here is that Silva was very cocky and underestimated Sonnen. However Sonnen does not have fuck all for knock out power so Silva probably was letting him hit him at points while looking for a submission. Silva was indeed outclassed through out the entire fight but that was more due to ego than skill difference. Silva is the best MMA fighter period right now and has shown that on numerous occasions by outright embarrassing his opponents. I guarantee that if Silva and Sonnen go at it again it doesn't get out of the second round.