• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Alexander Gustafsson Out at UFC 178, Daniel Cormier Now Meets Jon Jones

Swinny

Alexander Gustafsson out at UFC 178, Daniel Cormier now meets Jon Jones

The rematch will have to wait, but UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) still has a big fight on the horizon.

UFC officials today announced a training injury has forced Alexander Gustafsson (16-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) out a planned UFC 178 main event with Jones, and Daniel Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will instead challenge for the belt at the Sept. 27 event, which takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena.

More on this momentarily.

MMAJunkie

Swinny

Sucks that the Gus fight won't happen, but glad DC can step it and this is a very interesting fight as well.

The Great Cochrane

Personally I think it's gonna be a fight that Jones will dominate. The only way that DC would have a chance is if he was a faster fighter, which clearly he's not. DC will have an extremely hard time getting close to Jones and using his big knockout power with Jones having the advantage in speed and reach which will lead to Jones picking DC apart from every angle.

However, that being said, I don't believe that Jones will finish DC.

Swinny

But what about wrestling? Gus was outwrestling Jones in their fight and DC is an olympic wrestler. I don't see a situation where Jones avoids the takedown for five rounds and I think Cormier is going to come out with a head full of stream and if he gets the takedown early and gets that control, the fight could be all his.

The Great Cochrane

But what about wrestling? Gus was outwrestling Jones in their fight and DC is an olympic wrestler. I don't see a situation where Jones avoids the takedown for five rounds and I think Cormier is going to come out with a head full of stream and if he gets the takedown early and gets that control, the fight could be all his.

LOL you really think DC's gonna be able to take Jones down?

The only reason Gus was able to take Jones down was because he was able to get inside Jones' 84.5'' wingspan, and even then, he did it once in the first roud. A guy as short as Cormier won't be able to do so, and besides even if he was it'd all come down to his speed advantage which he lacks in this fight. Rashad Evans had a better chance at taking Jones down than DC does, and if Rashad couldn't take Jones down, then there's now way Cormier will.

You gotta remember, every fight starts on the feet.

Swinny

Yup. The guy has taken everyone down, he threw friggin' Josh Barnett around like a ragdoll and other heavyweights. Cormier is a better wrestler than Rashad and I think Rashad had a lot of other issues in that fight anyway. Will the reach be a problem? Sure. Do I think Jones will be able to get DC on the outside for 5 rounds and never give up a takedown? Nope. But we'll see.

The Great Cochrane

I tell you man, it's not gonna happen. The wrestling pedigree might be there, but the physical components don't make the right formula to be a threat to Jones who might I add himself is a former Junior College wrestling champion himself. Plus the Barnett theory is irrelevant seeing as he's a fat out of shape fuck who pretty much stands there in his fights. Jones will be much quicker and trickier for a guy like Cormier to deal with.

And Cormier may have better technique, but Rashad is quicker and would have been able to take Jones down but he couldn't close the distance. Cormier is much slower and won't be able to close the distance in time before Jones throws 3 or 4 strikes and gets out of the way, his reach only makes Cormier's chances that much worse.