SmackDown Live Alberto Del Rio Leaving WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Alberto Del Rio has reportedly been letting it be know that once his contract with WWE is up, he will be leaving the company.

According to PWInsider, Del Rio hasn't been happy with the direction of his character. He was once a main event player on the SmackDown brand as a World Champion, and now he is being fed to Batista.
While the match between the two hasn't been officially announced, Batista vs. Del Rio will likely be added to the upcoming Elimination Chamber pay-per-view event.

Del Rio is 36-years-old and has several years of mileage on him. It’s believed that he’s been very good with his money and shouldn't be in any financial trouble once he departs from the organization.

Not really shocking as he did say he would retire early, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to AAA since it will be covered in the US. He had success but never truly panned out IMO (Edges retirement situation), never got the reaction they wanted as a face or heel (Ricardo was more over) and with one top title now, I assume he sees him being an IC contender as a step down

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Meh, he's a solid hand but he was never a guy that I just loved watching. Thought he got a shit ton of unnecessary hate, but I really won't miss him too much and I don't think this is a loss for WWE or Del Rio.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I enjoyed Del Rio when he first started, his matches with Christian were amazing.

Great wrestler, shame his character wasn't going very far.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah I consider his run as not bad, not great, but serviceable. He came to work every day, put on solid matches, didn't connect how I think they wanted him too as they seemed to want him to be a Mexican JBL and heat magnet, but he did catch too much shit at times. I would understand if he stayed or left and don't think wwe or ADR is in the wrong as he is not a major player with a unified roster, and Mexico is his home just like lucha is his natural style. I also got to give him more respect than Sin Cara since he did learn English and wasn't too big of an ego to go to developmental

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Using the term star in the loosest context nowadays.

Not sure where else was there to go for him but down....he was pushed so hard it kind of burned the people out. Shouldn't leave WWE, just make sure the company gives his face a rest on TV for like 6 months.

Not sure he would go to AAA as Misticara is in talks with them and don't wanna deal with that headcase again.

Reactions: SAIYANS

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I mean its a lose term, but the motherfucker won the biggest rumble in history, won money in the bank, and won four combined wwe/world titles. He feuded with Cena, Punk, Mysterio, RVD, Show, Edge, and Batista. He is a forced star.

He could always go to join JJ and Toby Keith who are rumored to be starting in October, to me he isn't a bad guy to have if you're them, as they may see it as a good investment to pay Styles, him, and even Punk decently high salaries if they lock everything in place

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Wouldn't seeing a CM Punk or Del Rio on an upstart JJ promotion seem like a fallfrom grace than jumping to a rival promotion....like 02 TNA when Scott Hall was fired and shown up on TNA PPVs.

If I was Jarrett, I would just use guys he knows and intorduce some new flippy fuckers to make myself different than WWE or TNA and not hire people who just left the big time.......Atleast wait a few months.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah its a fall from grace, but the fact he got Hall, Waltman, and Perfect all after the plane ride from hell makes me think he would go after them.

Hell part of me wouldn't be shocked if he went after spike TV. Sell spike on a cheaper tv deal and reasonable ratings, it wouldn't be the first time they downgraded but kept the same genre Raw to Impact and UFC to Bellator. No better way to stick it to Dixie and TNA.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Think Jarret would play it smart and not be sloppy seconds like he was before and realize all the buzz OG TNA garnered was from their X-Division with guys like Low Ki, and AJ and being anchored by Jerry Lynn. None of the big names gained them the buzz from the hardcore fanbase. But, hey....CM Punk going somewhere else would prove to everyone if he is a draw or not.....and my intuitions says..... a big fat NOPE.

Reactions: The Cork

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I truly think it depends. He may not over flood it like early TNA where he had Hall, Perfect, Pac, Konan, Road Dogg, Raven, and so on. I do think he will get 3-4 names since this isn't going to be a ppv weekly show and say to a network I have these 3-4 guys in place to anchor programming and they are well known.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Biggest problem with using big names is that they are still painted with WWE colours, but that's the business nowadays. But 3-4 names would be fine, as long as they are there to work and not just there for a check and not use their programming as one big "fuck you WWE" like every wrestling show seems to be for former WWE stars.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
I like Del Rio inside the ring just once theres a mic in his hand he turns into mexican Nyquil.

AF.

Reaction score
Fantastic wrestler who did everything right but to no avail. Unfortunately it didn't work out for him in terms of getting over, though he was champion multiple times.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Looked like a star and was solid and in the ring but that's as far as his talents reached, everywhere else he was just way out of his depth.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I'm not sad at all. I think having him away from WWE will be a little fresh. His matches were predictable and boring and he was booked like shit with all the wins for no reason. They wasted a Money in the Bank on him and they wasted the 40 man Rumble on him. I can see Vince or Trips trying to get him to stay though for the Hispanic community but I don't think that's a problem. Rey can still do appearances. Kalisto down in NXT isn't bad, and we finally have a good person playing Sin Cara so they can push him more.