• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Academy Awards Scratch Best Song Nominated Performances--Yes, Even from 'The Muppets'

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
If you planned on reliving your favorite tunes from last year's best films, the Academy has shattered your dreams. As you may have previously heard, they're omitting performances of the Best Original Song nominations, breaking a years-long tradition. Deadline reported that although Fox and Disney have formally protested the cut — both studios have songs nominated for Rio and The Muppets — their plea has been shot down.

The Academy's "complicated" voting system only allowed for the two songs, after voters sorted through 39 tunes and scored each on a scale of 6 to 10 points. Per Academy rules, only those that received an average of 8.25 points could be nominated — and in this case, only two made the cut.

With the famously long telecast shortened, there should be more room to see what musical supervisors Pharrell Williams and Hans Zimmer have up their sleeve. Their role was newly created for the 84th awards ceremony, despite the Oscars rarely hosting musical performances outside of the nominated songs and the usual spoofs. An inside source at Deadline has reassured that decisions about the Best Song performance omission may not be final. "The show is not locked yet. Decisions about this and other things continue to be evaluated by the team trying to produce the most entertaining 3 hours possible."

It seems like a huge missed opportunity to ditch The Muppets' musical extravaganza, especially given that last year's film was the first from the much-loved puppet troupe in 12 years. Geez Academy, there's really no room for two frakkin' songs?

So the Academy is eliminating songs that are nominated.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Re: Academy Awards Scratch Best Song Nominated Performances--Yes, Even from 'The Muppe

So the Academy is eliminating songs that are nominated.

No, they are just scrapping them from being performed live because lets face it, only having two nominated is kind of stupid and will make it seem out of place if they are played live.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Re: Academy Awards Scratch Best Song Nominated Performances--Yes, Even from 'The Muppe

No, they are just scrapping them from being performed live because lets face it, only having two nominated is kind of stupid and will make it seem out of place if they are played live.

Good point. No loss to me.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer

Good point. No loss to me.

Yeah, besides, Billy Crystal is hosting and he's always good for some laughs. Hopefully this means he gets more time to make some jokes and get the crowd into it.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit

Yeah, besides, Billy Crystal is hosting and he's always good for some laughs. Hopefully this means he gets more time to make some jokes and get the crowd into it.

He is so great as the host. Probably one of the best hosts that they have had.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen

I don't think I have watched the Academy Awards in 10 years. I have stopped on them every now and then, but hey just aren't good anymore. I think the last time I watched a full one, Halle Berry won best actress.