Above You Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kylie

Reaction score
What...already? I thought he only won it at the ppv? :(

Kylie

Reaction score
Aww that's disappointing. :( I was looking forward to seeing what they'd do with him as champ.....clearly not a lot.

It's funny though as for some reason I always thought you were a Christian fan.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Vince did it in Orlando as well for the lulz :lmao

Reaction score
Yeah, I like Christian, and he's cool and all, just not World Champion material.

Much more happier with who defeated him as champion.

The Flash

Reaction score
I'm a fan of who defeated Christian but the title change could have atleast waited until a PPV, a 2 day (technically 5 day) reign just shows that Vince really does hate Christian.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Vince is a business man and gives a fuck about the bottom line, and that is why I don't think he hates Christian, just that he made a dollars and cents move.

The bottom line is the last time Christian was the man on the brand, be it ECW, he was the lowest drawing champ in their history. The ratings were higher with a rookie in Swagger holding it, dropped when Christian won, went back up when Dreamer won, and then dropped again with Christian until the brand died. Christian is no draw. He is not obscenely over with the casuals like even Matt Hardy as a face. Yeah the people popped for the win, but they popped because it was all about Edge who has always been more over and well received by the majority of the fans, not just the internet.

I don't get how people can say he never cared about Christian or doesn't like him. They spent forever getting his ass over early in his career. All the TLC wars, the tag title reigns, the turn on Edge, unretiring the IC belt, the feud with DDP who was more over, the cheap heat as part of the Un-Americans, the rub from Trish who was more over, Tomko, the pairing with Jericho who was more over, and the rubs from Rock to start off his Captain Charisma gimmick. You know what though? When they finally got him over as a heel his ass jumped ship and left SD in shambles with Dave hurt, Taker banged up, and Eddie dying. He left Vince high and dry after years of work on his character and taking a chance on a young, puny kid from Canada in the first place when the other organizations in WCW and ECW didn't bite. As much as people always can say well TNA did this or that for him, it boils down to the fact that he turned his back on them by choice unlike Kurt, Booker, Jeff the first time, and others who were given walking papers.

To the TNA made him, so WWE is holding back to prove a point folks. TNA used his WWE character, WWE gear, and they put the NWA strap on him. However, as soon as they got the likes of Kurt, Sting, Steiner, Booker, and those guys signed he was demoted down to upper midcard of that promotion. In fact he never won the TNA title when they made the switch of belts because they had to drop the NWA one.

He left TNA and went back to WWE. The fans greeted him nicely, not greatly but nicely. He didn't get the return reaction of a Jeff Hardy. Hell he didn't get the return reaction of a Matt Hardy. He has never given Vince a business reason to push him as a top guy as it relates to being a draw, moving merch, and being insanely over by himself as a face on week in and week out basis.

He got the strap as a courtesy to Edge, and to act like it is a slight for him to drop it 2, technically speaking 5 days later is a joke when the likes of Piper, Perfect, and DiBiase never got to have it for even 2 seconds. Plus you don't even know if there is a heel turn planned, which is possible since you can at least hide the fact that he doesn't sell as a heel chasing or protecting the title against a hot face in Orton, much like they have done with Jericho in the past.

SAL

Reaction score
Excellent points all around Psych. Now for everyone's favorite game: point/counterpoint!

1. Christian is awesome.
2. Giving him the belt was clearly nothing more than a tribute/favor/whatever you call it to Edge. Just like Rey got the belt because of Eddie.
3. They let Rey hold the belt for 3 months and he didn't beat anybody! What the fuck.
4. You can't just say it was the smart decision to put it on the bigger star. There's a thing called a chase. It's what they have hot faces do. They didn't even announce this title match! What's the sense in that? Have Orton win the match in three weeks at the PPV. Build to it.
5. "Christian got the lowest ratings on ECW." Yeah, a 0.9 is so different from a 1.0.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Christian is very good, not awesome. That is Miz :p On a serious note, anyone who can get pissed at him having a short reign can't say with a straight face that he is better than Piper, Perfect, or Million Dollar Man all of whome never got the strap. Shoot christian isn't even as a hot a character and has never been as hot as Kane when he got stuck with the 24 hour run. Did I mention that Orton had a run that lasted minutes or HHH had one that was basically a little over a hour? A 5 day run technically and a big ppv minute that will live on forever is a good starting point

The ECW bit stands. He was the worst draw of them all and the ratings went down when he won, up when he dropped, and then down when he won. He was the guy who they got below a 1 with so it wouldn't give any buisnessman confidence in his selling ability. Neither would the fact he doesn't move merch or some time comes out to flat pops on his own without an Edge there or Edge's shadow over him to give him that sympathy from the average casual fan.

As far as the Rey bit goes, he started moving merch, masks, and drawing in more Hispanic fans the second he became the first Mexican to ever win the World Heavyweight Championship. Yeah he jot jobbed, but it was still a good enough business result for Vince to keep it on him that long and give him another reign later down the line as well as many more main event title matches.

Demos were all up for Orton's first SD, so they were going to cash in on it.

And I didn't say let that be the end of Christian in the title picture. Yeah he lost, but in the video from the event he was looking up at Orton, in what I guess would be this wtf daze (it was a fan cam and the dumbass didn't point it at the screen).

The way I see it they can go two routes positive with this

1) You have him sell his soul. Christian is a better heel than he is a face. You let him turn heel by making a deal with someone to screw Orton out the title. Could be the Corre, could be Vince, it could be Brodus, or hell even Punk and Nexus on ppv. You have him turn his back on the fans and get heat. That way whether he draws or not doesn't matter. He screwed one of the biggest faces on the roster, so he will get heat, and if he doesn't have him spew hatred toward Edge getting the spotlight. It is the same way that Jericho got most of his reigns and how Punk got two of his 3.

2) You go the Jeff Hardy route. Christian isn't credible enough to beat Orton straight up in a one on one match with no interference at this time. So, you have them go at it for an extended series of matches where he gets closer and closer to beating Orton. Then you have him win it. That way he stays face, gets more over because of the slow build, and then might draw decently enough to be trusted with the belt again

Reid

Reaction score
should know i found old episodes of Doug and Hey Arnold on demand. was like "Oh hell yeah"

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Good to see PSYCH still ranting per usual lol.