A second show for TNA?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

gashface

Reaction score
With TNA recently signing a new three year contract with Spike TV, there was also a mention that they secured some extra slots for 'specials' but as yet we don't know what these will be. There has been some speculation that the specials could be related to the Spin Cycle, as a few months ago this piece of news was posted:

'The following is from Jeremy Borash on Twitter: “Spin Cycle taping went well. We shot these episodes as pilots for a television network. Have to keep details hush or face certain execution.â€￾ As reported over the weekend, TNA is expected to pitch their “Spin Cycleâ€￾ internet show to Spike TV executives sometime in the near future.'

Since this we've more or less heard nothing about The Spin Cycle, but it has oddly dissapeared from Youtube, or at least become less frequent.

As well as this there have been rumours circulating for a long time about an hour long show fully devoted to either the X-Division or the Knockouts.

So what I'm asking is, do you think TNA having a second show is a good idea, what type of show should it be, how often should it happen, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? Will a second show help to gain TNA more popularity?

----------

So my opinion on the matter is that I think a bi-weekly hour long show for TNA would be a winner. I do not think they are ready for two shows a week however. I also think that the show should be a mix of something like The Spin Cycle a long with 2 or 3 matches that will help to build feuds better and give matches on Impact more time. The matches could be surrounded around the knockouts, the x-division and the tag team division.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
If TNA had a 2nd WRESTLING show it would be way better. They have a problem now on iMPACT where they try and cram too much aand feature too many wrestlers on one show, making the matches short. If they ahd a second one, even if it was an hour, it would take the loud off of iMPACT.

Qwake

I don't know if this would be a good idea but if they were to have a second one hour show I would make it for all the X-Divisioners, I would just have a couple of good long matches on their to help get them over, no need to have storylines on the show, just make it purely wrestling, maybe have already made X-Div storylines enhanced on their but thats it.

Either that or get a few more knockouts and throw them on there, you have the knockout title and knockout tag titles so they definitely could make something from it but losing them could drop the impact ratings as they used to do well for the ratings.

At this time though I think its a bad idea for a second show.

noumenon

They can't even make one show worth watching every week and they're gonna go for two? (go ahead.."niether can WWE" herherher)
However more time to build towards a PPV isn't a bad thing and perhaps they'd have a little more time to craft some storylines that actually make sense.

phantomgerald

If they have a one hour show, they should make it entirely Knockouts or entirely Xdivision, so that people who are interested in either can tune in there, and keep the rest of Impact to the MEM/WE vs the rest of the roster.

The Franchise

Reaction score
I second show is needed . A hour long show focusing on some of the undercard and Knockouts would be the better option ,imo.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
They can't even make one show worth watching every week and they're gonna go for two? (go ahead.."niether can WWE" herherher)
However more time to build towards a PPV isn't a bad thing and perhaps they'd have a little more time to craft some storylines that actually make sense.

That's it though. One of TNA's main problems is that they rush things. They try and get a lot of their talent out there. So they rush through matches, they have alot of mulit-man matches, they go from one segment to the next without re hashing what just happened, they are rushing. Having another show, even if it is an hour long show, will take some of the steam off of iMPACT, improving iMPACT as well as the new show.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Maybe they should try trimming their roster and making the show they have watchable.

I don't know if TNA is actually making money at this point but if they are it's just barely. Adding a second show will increase expenses andprobably undo all of that.

Stick with trying to make a real profit and getting more people to tune into the show. That requires actual creative effort and better marketing, which I know is too much to ask of TNA but it's what they need to do.

phantomgerald

^^^ Won't getting a second show means that they get more revenue from their second show? And there won't really be a rise in expenses. THeir wrestlers and already being paid and they already have the logistics in place.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
^^^ Won't getting a second show means that they get more revenue from their second show? And there won't really be a rise in expenses. THeir wrestlers and already being paid and they already have the logistics in place.

Possibly.

The issue would be whether they chose to tape the show on a day they already do tv tapings, which are Mondays and Tuesdays I believe, then production costs wouldn't go up that much but they'd still have to pay whomever for their work on the second show. They're not going to do it for free.

Even then what good is a second show when your viewership on your primary show is stagnating? Given the ratings of impact currently and for the last few years they haven't managed to really increase their fanbase.

WWE added smackdown because at the time Raw was a tank in ratings and the company on the whole was hot so a second show was justified. TNA has done nothing to justify a second show.

They really need to work on the marketing of their product before a second show even becomes feasable.

phantomgerald

^^^ I think Dixie Cater believes that TNA is good enough to compete and just needs more exposure to get people watching, which is why they're trying to get this second show. If casual viewers watch happen to stumble upon the second show and like it, it'll help increase viewership for the flagship show.

I think as long as they don't have to do too much to get this extra hour, then just do it. More is always better than less. But if Spike expects too much, then maybe it's better to do without.

Hometown Kid

Just make a show where MCMG and AJ Styles go around for an hour doing whatever they want. I guarantee it would get better ratings than Raw within a year.

gashface

Reaction score
^^^ I think Dixie Cater believes that TNA is good enough to compete and just needs more exposure to get people watching, which is why they're trying to get this second show. If casual viewers watch happen to stumble upon the second show and like it, it'll help increase viewership for the flagship show.

I think as long as they don't have to do too much to get this extra hour, then just do it. More is always better than less. But if Spike expects too much, then maybe it's better to do without.

These are my thoughts exactly, a second show if recorded on the same days as Impact wouldn't really increase their costs too much at all, productions there, talents there, it just gives Impact more time to breathe and the talent more time to showcase themselves. These are two things that are holding Impact back in getting more ratings. Plus if they have a more action orientated show along side a show that is more focused on pushing storylines, it will attract two different types of audience that could combine and boost TNA ratings a whole lot.

TNA should avoid having a show longer than an hour though and I'm still uncertain as to whether weekly would work, bi-weekly or monthly I feel is enough for now, test the waters.

Travis40

I could see why WWE made a second show (Smackdown), becuase their ratings for Raw were actually....good.

Impact is sitting at 1.1, there is no way in hell they should have a second show.

Reaction score
TNA should probably focus more on making Impact better and work on gaining higher ratings before putting together a 2nd show. It seems way too soon to be even considering that.
If anything, a new Internet Show would be a better idea to start off with.