A Question About The Indies...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
tumblr_oy92a8Oo0H1r2zt15o1_500.png

So with Tenille Dashwood (FKA Emma) now working the "Indies" in
America I have a question for all those here who actually know the
in's & out's of the Indie scene.

If a match is a "one off" & isn't playing into a long term build or story...
how do they (the organizer/promoter/booker) decide who is going over?

Do the wrestlers/performers themselves have any input in that decision?
Do some wrestlers only agree to appear if they are getting the win?

Do organizations like Impact & Ring of Honor count as an "Indie" promotion?

I has questions...looking to smart people for answers...

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
1. I'd imagine not too far off from how WWE book their part-timers, if the talent in question is a big name that means they're probably getting paid more for the appearance and are likely going over.

2. Most indie wrestlers make their own schedule so I guess they could be that picky if they're a big enough name wanting to protect their brand. Realistically though, most talents probably try to book as many dates/shows as possible regardless of match outcome as they still get paid regardless.

3. TNA technically isn't a independent promotion, in fact at one point it could have been considered (a very, very far) #2 and viable alternative to WWE as far as American Wrestling goes. RoH on the other hand is indie through and through, it's just been around for so long and housed some of the greatest talent in wrestling today(AJ,Bryan,Cm Punk, Rollins,KO,Zayn,Samoa Joe,Aries,Adam Cole, ect. Pretty much like half of WWE's roster rn) so that + their "partnership" with NJPW made them the most popular American indie promotion.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
1. I'd imagine not too far off from how WWE book their part-timers, if the talent in question is a big name that means they're probably getting paid more for the appearance and are likely going over.
So basically the more popular you are...
the better chance you have of going over.

Which is the opposite way the WWE book the Plank of Wood...

2. Most indie wrestlers make their own schedule so I guess they could be that picky if they're a big enough name wanting to protect their brand. Realistically though, most talents probably try to book as many dates/shows as possible regardless of match outcome as they still get paid regardless.
Sounds like a smart way to approach the situation...I mean as
long as your getting paid...a win or loss doesn't really matter.

3. TNA technically isn't a independent promotion, in fact at one point it could have been considered (a very, very far) #2 and viable alternative to WWE as far as American Wrestling goes. RoH on the other hand is indie through and through, it's just been around for so long and housed some of the greatest talent in wrestling today(AJ,Bryan,Cm Punk, Rollins,KO,Zayn,Samoa Joe,Aries,Adam Cole, ect. Pretty much like half of WWE's roster rn) so that + their "partnership" with NJPW made them the most popular American indie promotion.
So...what is stopping Ring of Honor from being more than just an "indie" promotion?

Couldn't they step up to at least the level of TNA/Impact? or perhaps something
bigger with their NJPW connections?

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
So...what is stopping Ring of Honor from being more than just an "indie" promotion?

Couldn't they step up to at least the level of TNA/Impact? or perhaps something
bigger with their NJPW connections?

They are owned by Sinclair broadcasting and have a weekly TV deal, tour regularly and some international presence, not necessarily indie anymore but people still label them as such. As of 2018 they're far above TNA as a company and a hell of a lot more popular.

Reactions: WrestleRacer91

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
They are owned by Sinclair broadcasting and have a weekly TV deal, tour regularly and some international presence, not necessarily indie anymore but people still label them as such. As of 2018 they're far above TNA as a company and a hell of a lot more popular.
Got it...

Thanks for the info...

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
If it's not one of the bigger Indies or doesn't run shows as often, then it really could come down to anything in determining the winner. Gotta sell mercy and send the fans home happy, so usually the one off appearances by legends or former big stars usually go over on the smaller shows.

Wrestlers definitely have an input but the final decision is really up to the promoter

ROH used to be an indie until around 2009 when they got regular PPVs and national TV. They also bumped up their production, such as the ring/arena setup etc. TNA has never truly been an indie, although their talent are more free to wrestle an indie style and are for the most part allowed to wrestle most outside the company in most places. With the production and such, I wouldn't even consider LU an indie, despite most of the talent and in ring action screaming otherwise