• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

A-League 2011-2012

Andrew

Melbourne Victory today announces that Qantas Socceroo defender, Mark Milligan, will join the club on loan until the end of the Hyundai A-League season, subject to an International Transfer Certificate (ITC).

Great news!

darkharlequin

Apparently it happened last year because 3 teams are contesting it this year from A-League. I think we gained an extra spot because of how good the league is or something to that effect, and Japan/China lost a spot.

It's a good sign of where the league is headed. It's kind of complicated but I think the premiership winner gets a group stage birth and second place goes into the qualifying playoff unless they make the grand final then they get the second group stage birth. In that case 3rd spot gets the playoff spot unless another team from the top six wins the championship then they get the second group stage birth. Simple huh? *help!*

Andrew

Went to Victory vs Sydney yday and please Sydney came back for a 2-2 draw. Great crowd & atmosphere.

Troy

Gold Coast United were striped of their lisence today. The FFA and Clive Palmer never saw eye to eye and after his comments earlier in the week they decided to cut their losses. They are paying the players for the rest of the season but I don't understand why you wouldn't wait until the end of the season to do this.

Not good for the A-League that they have lost two teams in two years. Maybe they need to consolidate now, get the current teams into good shape and then look at expanding.

Andrew

The A-League is slowly dying... It was never successful in the first place and while the teams are still there... We need something bigger but it doesn't seem to work.

Troy

They went too big too fast. They had the right idea but they kept expanding when most teams were drawing less than 10k fans each game.

Andrew

Sydney & Melbourne has to be easily the most successful teams in A-League.

Sucks nowhere else is growing.

Troy

Adelaide get decent crowds, around 10k but still struggle to make any money. Nearly went under two years ago when the owner couldn't afford it and it was under FFA control but we made it out of it and hopefully it can survive.

By the way I just read that Clive Palmer has launched a breakaway league. Lol it is amazing how billionaires can just waste their money.

Troy

I don't think that they should expand again. They are struggling at the moment and until they have got most of the current teams running smoothly they should keep it how it is. I can't see a Canberra team bringing in too much money either for them since it is the smallest State.

Pete

Popping my head in just to say that on FIFA 11 I would play as North Queensland Fury, only on account of they were the weakest team LOL. I kind of liked their forwards though. How are they in real life?

Pete

LOL fair enough.

Also, what's the difference between Aussie rules football and regular football.

Andrew

A lot mate.

Australian Rules is so different. Look it up on Youtube.

Depends what you call regular football... We go by like 5 codes here.

AFL is what we all call FOOTBALL.

We also call Rugby, Union, Gridiron football as well, even soccer...

Andrew

RODRIGO VARGAS RELEASED

Melbourne Victory wishes to advise that defender, Rodrigo Vargas, has been released after 140 Hyundai A-League appearances, over six success-filled seasons.

Since joining the club in season two of the Hyundai A-League, the 33 year-old made more appearances than any other player, helping it to win not one, but two Premiership/Championship doubles, scoring 7 goals along the way.
Vargas joined Melbourne Victory from Victorian Premier League club, Green Gully, and quickly established himself as one of the competition’s premier defenders, continually putting his body on the line, yet very rarely missing games through injury.

Reflecting on his time at Melbourne Victory, Vargas said he’s grateful for the opportunity given to him, “It’s been a privilege being able to play for the most successful club in the league, in my hometown, in front of my family and friends, for the best fans in the country.â€

“The two Premiership/Championship doubles won in front of packed out Etihad Stadium’s remain highlights of my time at Melbourne Victory,†he added.

Melbourne Victory Managing Director, Richard Wilson, said, “Roddy has been a fantastic professional over the years and we thank him for his great contribution to our club.â€

“He was a warrior in every sense of the word, continually getting himself up for games when others may have opted to sit out through injury.â€

“The fact that he won a Victory medal among such a talented and successful squad is testament to himself and his capabilities as a footballer,†Wilson added.

The club will honour Rodrigo at the 2011/12 Victory Medal Night and also ensure he is presented to the Melbourne Victory faithful next season to recognise and celebrate his A-League career.

Quite a shock, he was a great asset and player. I've met him before so that's lucky enough for me