2014 NFL Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
@Snowman , Ravens long-snapper, Morgan Cox tore his ACL today and is done for the season. :((
Probably won't have much of an effect on the team as a whole, but the constant flawless execution of the kicking game (In terms of snaps going correctly & avoiding miscues) is in question. After the game, Harbs said we'd be fishing in free agency for a replacement.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
You definitely get a WHAT? rating for this statement.... This is a passing league now filled with pussy ass rules... Clarify your definition of "brutal".. this is cupcake stuff in this generation of the NFL.
Gladly, my friend.
The size of a linebacker in today's game dwarf's the linebacker in yesteryear's.
My point being is that if one hit can sideline a cat for 4 weeks or maybe a season, don't you think RB's would be more susceptible?
McCoy catching the ball and McCoy getting taking handoff are no different when it come to getting smacked.

How many injuries have we had this year? RB's are bigger these days but it doesn't matter. The rules of physics don't change.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Gladly, my friend.
The size of a linebacker in today's game dwarf's the linebacker in yesteryear's.
My point being is that if one hit can sideline a cat for 4 weeks or maybe a season, don't you think RB's would be more susceptible?
McCoy catching the ball and McCoy getting taking handoff are no different when it come to getting smacked.

How many injuries have we had this year? RB's are bigger these days but it doesn't matter. The rules of physics don't change.

No, I think Wide Receivers would be more susceptible simply for the fact they go up and catch the ball blindly they have minimal awareness of who's coming behind them when they land. RBs are susceptible merely because they get the ball more times than any skill position player (excluding QBs), but they have better vision and and can prepare more for the hit.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
No, I think Wide Receivers would be more susceptible simply for the fact they go up and catch the ball blindly they have minimal awareness of who's coming behind them when they land. RBs are susceptible merely because they get the ball more times than any skill position player (excluding QBs), but they have better vision and and can prepare more for the hit.
QB's don't get hit, brah. Their are rules in place preventing golden boys from getting nicked. It affects the almighty dollar.
The thing with RB's isn't just the 'big injury' but the pounding they take leading up to it.
WR's generally aren't hit with the ferocity that RB's are hit with.
WR's generally aren't taken down my DL or LB, they're usually taken down by the much smaller DB's.

Ever hear of roughing the passer? When was the last time you heard those sentiments for a RB?

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
QB's don't get hit, brah. Their are rules in place preventing golden boys from getting nicked. It affects the almighty dollar.
The thing with RB's isn't just the 'big injury' but the pounding they take leading up to it.
WR's generally aren't hit with the ferocity that RB's are hit with.
WR's generally aren't taken down my DL or LB, they're usually taken down by the much smaller DB's.

Ever hear of roughing the passer? When was the last time you heard those sentiments for a RB?

I completely said (Excluding QBs) meaning we aren't talking about them, we're talking about WR/RB/TE.. So The first and last statement you made there are pointless.. Who do you think hit's the WRs on Screens, Flats and Slot passes? Bigger Safeties and Linebackers usually unless the D is running a Nickel package which doesn't occur more than a few times per game.

On a different note, Gavin Escobar looks ready to take over Jason Witten's job as the primary Tight End.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
I completely said (Excluding QBs) meaning we aren't talking about them, we're talking about WR/RB/TE.. So The first and last statement you made there are pointless.. Who do you think hit's the WRs on Screens, Flats and Slot passes? Bigger Safeties and Linebackers usually unless the D is running a Nickel package which doesn't occur more than a few times per game.

I agree, that's why they have the "Defenseless Receiver" penalty now, receivers take much harder hit than RBs for sure.. and the unpreparedness is the worst thing about it.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Are attempting to prove to me that WR's and TE's take more punishment than RB's do?
If that is the case, then no GM in their right mind would believe you.
Sure, WR's are tackled by LB's sometimes but not nearly as much as RB's do.

When was the last time you heard of a WR having 500 catches and some GM say 'It's time to cut him. He's a bit long in the tooth'.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I agree, that's why they have the "Defenseless Receiver" penalty now, receivers take much harder hit than RBs for sure.. and the unpreparedness is the worst thing about it.

I'm not doubting his statement that RBs take big hits, but like you said the unpreparedness is what adds a higher percentage factor of a WR taking a devastating hit than the RB.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Are attempting to prove to me that WR's and TE's take more punishment than RB's do?
If that is the case, then no GM in their right mind would believe you.
Sure, WR's are tackled by LB's sometimes but not nearly as much as RB's do.

When was the last time you heard of a WR having 500 catches and some GM say 'It's time to cut him. He's a bit long in the tooth'.

Never said TEs take more punishment, not sure where you got that from ( you must be speedreading; slow down! )

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Those WR's are pu**ies then. There's no such thing as 'defens-sive' when you are an offensive player.
All offensive players are defenseless. That's the name of the game.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I'm not doubting his statement that RBs take big hits, but like you said the unpreparedness is what adds a higher percentage factor of a WR taking a devastating hit than the RB.
Why are we crying about 'preparedness' or lack thereof?
If they don't want to get jacked up, then they should go play basketball or baseball.
I admire your concern but this is a man's game and it should stay that way.... or get rid of it altogether.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Those WR's are pu**ies then. There's no such thing as 'defens-sive' when you are an offensive player.
All offensive players are defenseless. That's the name of the game.

Lol you're kidding me right now.. so roughing the passer is a joke penalty then if we're going by your opinion?.. They're defenseless when they get rid of the ball and some dude comes and hits them with them still looking down the field to see if his receiver caught it.. RBs can see the hits coming at almost all times, WRs can be turned around go up for a catch land on the ground and be ANNIHILATED from the back with no awareness of who's coming.

Like I've said before, this is a PASSING league these days.. if we were talking about 15-20 years ago I'd be more inclined to side with you.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
It's not always about seeing the hit. A RB can be wrapped up and have their knee blown to bits in the midst of a take down.
Living in the trenches and having 300 lbs men falling on top of a knee twisted in an odd direction isn't pleasant.
This scenario plays out the majority of times RB's touch the ball.

Victor Cruz wasn't even touch before he blew out his patella tendon. I'd call that a gym injury that worked its way onto the field of play.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
It's not always about seeing the hit. A RB can be wrapped up and have their knee blown to bits in the midst of a take down.
Living in the trenches and having 300 lbs men falling on top of a knee twisted in an odd direction isn't pleasant.
This scenario plays out the majority of times RB's touch the ball.

Victor Cruz wasn't even touch before he blew out his patella tendon. I'd call that a gym injury that worked its way onto the field of play.

Cruz also got nailed in the lower leg a drive before that happened so that could've played into it, you never know.. RBs also usually have more protection around their feet to account for the 300 lbs men falling on top of them.. QBs get obliterated from behind as well as have 300 pound linemen falling all over them.. Open field hits are usually more brutal then anything that happens in the trenches.. WRs, Kick Returners and QBs are usually the victims of those.