2013 Academy Awards

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
No DC/Marvel based Superhero movie will ever win best picture would have probably been the more correct way to put it.

Argo was still amazing no matter how dramatized it was and how much is strayed from the truth. (Which I don't know how much it did since I don't know the actual story.)

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
wouldn't her role in DKR be considered a leading actress role?? I am under the impression that each film has a lead actor and actress and then everyone else is in a supporting role... i could be wrong but I don't think you could have a supporting actress nomination when being the featured female role

Interesting question, I would say she was not on screen enough to be considered a lead and certainly in terms of billing Bale and Hardy were ahead of her then again she was the most featured actress in the film.

What did you think of Zero Dark Thirty Chris? I plan on seeing it in the next week, Bigelow's a very interesting director.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Interesting question, I would say she was not on screen enough to be considered a lead and certainly in terms of billing Bale and Hardy were ahead of her then again she was the most featured actress in the film.

What did you think of Zero Dark Thirty Chris? I plan on seeing it in the next week, Bigelow's a very interesting director.

That's one of the ones I haven't seen yet, I'll watch it after Lincoln which I already have downloaded.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Just to update my viewing of the nominations so far:

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10
Les Miserables 7.5/10
Lincoln 7.5/10
Life of Pi 5/10

Hope to see Zero Dark Thirty this week.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Here's mine, I rate very leniently by the way

Argo: 8.5
Les Mis: 8.5
Django: 8.5
Silver Linings Playbook: 8.0
Lincoln: 7.5
Life of Pi: 7.0 (Visual effects were amazing, but really the only thing that stood out as well)
Amour: 7.0

Have ZDT downloaded, but haven't watched it yet.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Thought it would be a good time to bump this with the ceremony only a couple of days away.

Interestingly this year six of the Best Picture nominees have crossed the $100 million mark at the US box office which is the first time that many have reached that milestone. Some clear Oscar bait films have done really well like Lincoln and Les Miserables whereas in the past such Oscar bait has failed to be so successful at the box office.

The call to snub Afleck from the Best Director category continues to look worse as worse as he has picked up so many awards this season for that movie. I have a feeling that this is going to help Argo in the race for Best Picture as people will feel that he was wrongly left out in the Director category and will instead vote for him there.

Going into the show I don't hold much hope for any of the Australians nominated to get an award, they have done well to be nominated but there are clear favourites in their categories that are ahead of them.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
The Academy Awards have been a farce since the late '90s.

if I were to care, Argo should be best picture. Easily.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
No Goon? Not even that Batman movie, this is why the Oscars are irrelevant. Bunch of boring movies that nobody watches, so studios have to pay critics to give them good reviews in order to generate buzz and giving them fake awards so more people will watch it, is a joke.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
No Goon? Not even that Batman movie, this is why the Oscars are irrelevant. Bunch of boring movies that nobody watches, so studios have to pay critics to give them good reviews in order to generate buzz and giving them fake awards so more people will watch it, is a joke.

But you liked Argo witch is the favourite for best picture so that remark made no sense.

Zero Dark Thirty should win best film, it is a masterpiece, it is a very balanced look at a difficult subject, it perfectly represents a cold world and a dark era in American history. Jesscia Chastain's performance is very effectivly built over the course of the film, it is a visually fantastic film and stays with you long after watching it. It is Bigelow's masterpiece, and what a disagrace that she has not been nominated for best director, same with Paul Thomas Anderson.

Argo will win best picture.

Day-Lewis will get best actor, but it should be Pheonix.

Lawrence will get best actress, but that is a closer one with Chastain and Riva who coursed an upset at the Baftas.

Best Director will be Spielberg.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Enjoyable show, as always there was a fair bit of dead time throughout the show but overall it was good. Seth McFarlane was a good host, had some really good jokes (the Chris Brown/Rhianna and Lincoln jokes stand out) in there and did about as good as you can do hosting an event like that.

Shirley Bassey performing Goldfinger was a highlight for me, 76 years old and yet she can still belt it out. Fantastic performance. Adele was really good as well but you can't go past the legend in Bassey.

The winners went pretty much as expected for the most part, would have preferred a few to go a different way but overall pretty predictable. With all this Bond hype I still don't know why they didn't just give the tenth spot for Best Picture to it, was critically acclaimed and a huge money earner, would have been a fair choice for 10th.