2012 Ongoing Match of the Year Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Alrighty then, we're one quarter into the year and we've already had some real great matches to watch. Obviously this is purely opinion based, and some people have seen a lot more stuff than others, but let's start this off and see what everyone's matches of the year are. I'm going with a top 10 for the time being, but again, this isn't meant to be held as a final list until the year is over.

In the meantime, everyone feel free to pimp or recommend matches you think others should check out and, above all else, have fun.

Here's my current top 10 with a few HM's at the end that may make the list upon rewatching.

1. Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 2
2. Low Ki, BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa vs. Ricochet, PAC and Masaaki Mochizuki - DGUSA Mercury Rising
3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania 28
4. Kevin Steen vs. El Generico - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 1
5. Akira Tozawa vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate
6. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - Wrestlemania 28
7. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA Victory Road
8. Finlay vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 11
9. Rich Swann vs. AR Fox - DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate
10. Bully Ray vs. Abyss - TNA Genesis

On the outside looking in...

Johnny Gargano vs. Masato Yoshino - DGUSA Mercury Rising
Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley - TNA Against All Odds
Low Ki vs. El Generico - EVOLVE 11
Bobby Roode vs. James Storm - TNA Lockdown
Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA Lockdown

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Alrighty then, we're one quarter into the year and we've already had some real great matches to watch. Obviously this is purely opinion based, and some people have seen a lot more stuff than others, but let's start this off and see what everyone's matches of the year are. I'm going with a top 10 for the time being, but again, this isn't meant to be held as a final list until the year is over.

In the meantime, everyone feel free to pimp or recommend matches you think others should check out and, above all else, have fun.

Here's my current top 10 with a few HM's at the end that may make the list upon rewatching.

1. Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 2
2. Low Ki, BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa vs. Ricochet, PAC and Masaaki Mochizuki - DGUSA Mercury Rising
3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania 28
4. Kevin Steen vs. El Generico - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 1
5. Akira Tozawa vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate
6. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - Wrestlemania 28
7. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA Victory Road
8. Finlay vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 11
9. Rich Swann vs. AR Fox - DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate
10. Bully Ray vs. Abyss - TNA Genesis

On the outside looking in...

Johnny Gargano vs. Masato Yoshino - DGUSA Mercury Rising
Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley - TNA Against All Odds
Low Ki vs. El Generico - EVOLVE 11
Bobby Roode vs. James Storm - TNA Lockdown
Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA Lockdown

Man. Not only did that match not deserve the five-star rating, I don't tihnk it's the best match this year either. Not by a lot, but I'd have to say that Triple H vs. Undertaker was better than that, with some others in strong contention with the second place slot. I loved the match, but I can't lie, I'm more of a strong supporter of sports entertainment, and given that, the lack of captivating storyline did this one in for me. I just didn't come into it hyped from a booking standpoint, so it suffered as a result. Had Elgin played a big role in the ongoing American Wolves/Young Wolves/Steen story as a whole, this might be different. So far, mine are:

1. Undertaker vs. Triple H - WrestleMania XXVIII
2. Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin - ROH Showdown in the Sun
3. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - WrestleMania XXVIII
4. James Storm vs. Robert Roode - Lockdown
5. Finlay vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 11
6. Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs - ROH 10 Year Anniversary Show
7. Bully Ray vs. Abyss - Genesis
8. CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler - Royal Rumble
9. CM Punk vs. Mark Henry I - WWE RAW
10. Rich Swann and Chuck Taylor vs. Super Smash Bros. - EVOLVE 10

I will also give honorable mention to the following -

Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - Victory Road
Kurt Angle vs. James Storm - Genesis
Eddie Edwards and Adam Cole vs. Team Ambition - ROH 10 Year Anniversary Show
Austin Aries vs. Zema Ion vs. Kid Kash vs. Jesse Sorensen - Genesis
Jay Lethal vs. Tomasso Ciampa - ROH 10 Year Anniversary Show
Smackdown Elimination Chamber Match - Elimination Chamber

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I totally agree that its been overrated, but I still think its better than HHH/Taker.

Is the Swann/Taylor vs. SSB really that good? I've been meaning to get to it but I haven't had the time. I love all the guys involved though, so I can imagine its pretty entertaining.

Also, have you seen Swann vs. Fox yet?

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yeah, it's one of my favorite tag matches in a while. It may be a bias, because I often overrate Chucky T's matches, just because he's in them, but there's some neat action and plenty of cruiserweight action in the peak of the match. It was the best match from the show (the second best being Sabu vs. Credible, if that counts for anything) and it's probably the best SSB match I've ever seen. Honestly, it is however interchangeable with just about any of the honorable mentions, but I thought I'd use it to diversify the list.

Also, no. I haven't seen many DGUSA matches this year, except a couple from Mercury Rising.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Yeah, it's one of my favorite tag matches in a while. It may be a bias, because I often overrate Chucky T's matches, just because he's in them, but there's some neat action and plenty of cruiserweight action in the peak of the match. It was the best match from the show (the second best being Sabu vs. Credible, if that counts for anything) and it's probably the best SSB match I've ever seen. Honestly, it is however interchangeable with just about any of the honorable mentions, but I thought I'd use it to diversify the list.

Also, no. I haven't seen many DGUSA matches, except a couple from Mercury Rising.

Cool, I'll check it out tonight then. In the meantime, you should definitely check Swann vs. Fox, its great. Also, Fox vs. Samuray Del Sol and Fox vs. Sami from CZW BOTB 11 are both pretty sweet. This might be partially due to the fact that I mark out like crazy for Fox mind you. :lol:

shefali

I m waiting for Batista (Bomb) matches. Where is Batista now, because it has been very long to see his match.

shefali

The fight of HHH and Taker was awesome and the scene after the end of the match is very emotional.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I m waiting for Batista (Bomb) matches. Where is Batista now, because it has been very long to see his match.

He's trying to get a black belt in martial arts and then have an MMA career

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Being as its pretty much two months since the last list I've made, I've gone back and re-ordered it to include more recent matches as well. There's definitely been some positional shifts, with Elgin/Richards slowly creeping its way down the list.

1. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - WWE Extreme Rules
3. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk - WWE Over The Limit
4. Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 2
5. The Undertaker vs. Triple H - WWE Wrestlemania 28
6. Bully Ray vs. Austin Aries - TNA Sacrifice
7. Finlay vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 11
8. Kurt Angle & AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian - TNA Slammiversary
9. AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 12
10. Young Bucks vs. F.I.S.T. - Chikarasaurus Rex

HM's for Gran Akuma vs. Icarus and Hallowicked vs. Tim Donst at Chikarasaurus Rex, Jericho/Punk at Extreme Rules and Aries/Joe at Slammiversary.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Being as its pretty much two months since the last list I've made, I've gone back and re-ordered it to include more recent matches as well. There's definitely been some positional shifts, with Elgin/Richards slowly creeping its way down the list.

1. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - WWE Extreme Rules
3. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk - WWE Over The Limit
4. Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards - RoH Showdown in the Sun: Night 2
5. The Undertaker vs. Triple H - WWE Wrestlemania 28
6. Bully Ray vs. Austin Aries - TNA Sacrifice
7. Finlay vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 11
8. Kurt Angle & AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian - TNA Slammiversary
9. AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan - EVOLVE 12
10. Young Bucks vs. F.I.S.T. - Chikarasaurus Rex

HM's for Gran Akuma vs. Icarus and Hallowicked vs. Tim Donst at Chikarasaurus Rex, Jericho/Punk at Extreme Rules and Aries/Joe at Slammiversary.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Seems like a good as time as any to see what my choices would be.

Very similar in terms of matches to Fuji, I got (in no particular order ATM):

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - Extreme Rules
Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk - Over The Limit
Triple H vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania 28
Bully Ray vs. Austin Aries - Sacrifice
Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley - Against All Odds
Austin Aries vs. Samoa Joe - Slammiversary X
FIST vs. The Young Bucks - Chikarasaurus Rex

Haven't watched any ROH this year, and there's a couple of PPV matches from TNA I need to see (tag title match from Slammiversary for one), but pretty pleased WWE aren't dominating the list this year. If anything, I think a lot of the WWE matches people are rating are overrated tbh (Punk/Jericho at WM for example).