2011 WWE and TNA Year End Awards

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Wrestling Addict

Reaction score
With the Slammys last week and the end of the year approaching, I thought I'd give out a few awards myself. I will only be doing WWE and TNA since I haven't seen enough Indy stuff this year. I am doing WWE and TNA together, so any WWE or TNA wrestler is eligible.

Breakout Star of the Year - I thought I'd start this award cermony as you may call it, with this award because it was one of my favorite Slammy awards in the past. Too bad they didn't have one this year. The winner of the Breakout Star of the Year goes to... CM Punk! Now, I know, I know, you may say he broke out a long time ago. However, he changed wrestling this year. He went from being an upper mid carder to who Raw was centered around.

Holy Shit Moment of the Year - This one is tough for me to choose a winner. I don't really think Mark Henry and Big Show breaking the ring, deserve it. I don't want CM Punk to win every award but he is the one man who I think really deserves this award more than anyone. There were some epic moments but his shoot on Raw may have been one of the best promos I have ever witnessed. It came out of nowhere and was delivered perfectly.

[video=youtube;2Is9SdaC-X8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Is9SdaC-X8[/video]

I marked the fuck out as I could not believe WWE would let him go out there and say those things.

Tag Team of the Year - I know Tag Team Wrestling isn't emphasized on much anymore in wrestling but I thought I'd go ahead and give this award out anyway. This was difficult to decide but I have chosen Beer... Money! They had another great year, even though they split up a couple months ago.

Comeback of the Year - Who made the best comeback in 2011? You can give me all the heat you want for this but the award goes to Kevin Nash. He had the biggest pop of the night when he returned back at the Royal Rumble. He has returned and looks in much better shape than when he was in TNA last year.

Pay Per View of the Year - I didn't have a second thought about giving this award to Money in the Bank. It was an all around great pay per view. One of the best ppv's, I have seen in a few years. Even Mark Henry vs. Big Show wasn't that bad.

Diva/Knockout of the Year - This award goes to Mickie James because she has basically carried the Knockouts division for a year. Beth Pheonix was a close second but James wins it.

Biggest Fuck Up of the Year - I made this one up but I thought it would be an interesting award. Who fucked up the most in 2011? Drum roll please...? It goes to Jeff Hardy for his incident at Victory Road. If Indys counted in this award system, Scott Hall would win it but Hardy gets it. Showing up unable to compete because you were stoned off your ass is a MAJOR fuck up!

Match of the Year - Like I said, I hate giving a ton of awards to CM Punk but I feel he deserves this one as well. He had a lot of solid matches within the past year but his match with Cena at Money in the Bank was amazing. It had all of the hype and it was one of the most unpredictable matches in WWE history. It was in Punk's hometown and the crowd boo'd Cena out the building. Punk did the unthinkable and won the match to leave the arena with the WWE Championship.

Most Emotional Moment of the Year - I thought this would be another interesting award to throw in there. It goes to Edge retiring as the World Heavyweight Champion. It came out of nowhere and his retirement speach almost brought a tear to my eye.

Announcer of the Year - Shucky Ducky Quak Quak! It took a while to get used to Booker on commentary but now he is one of the most entertaining commentators in wrestling.

Wrestler of the Year - The most prestigous award on the list, who is the 2011 Wrestler of the year? *Pulls the winner out of the envelope* He isn't the Best in the World for nothing. His fourth and best award, CM Punk is the 2011 Wrestler of the year. He reinvented himself and even wrestling a bit. When Punk was on your tv screen, wrestling became fun again in 2011.

Accepting all comments below. Agree/disagree?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Here are the ones I disagree with.

Breakout Star: Not gonna go with Punk as I think he is beyond being called a breakout star since his feud with Jeff was his first break out just this recent push was his break out as far as becoming a top level face. So I'd give it to Dolph Ziggler who stepped it up even more in the ring and on the mic showing he has character as well.

Biggest Fuck up: Matt Hardy obviously has to win this. Jeff had a big fuck up yes but was just one while all Matt did in 2011 was fuck up. If you manage to get yourself thrown out of rehab you really are just rock bottom. Plus it was expected for Jeff to act like the moron he does Matt on the other hand was usually a level headed guy before.

Best announcer: I like Booker but he is not the best announcer of the year. Would have to be the guy who doesn't seem to get enough credit and that is Josh Matthews. Doesn't have to go putting himself over just does his job well and puts over the matches.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Biggest Comeback has to be Mark Henry, surely?

The guy had 15 years of meaningless feuds, gimmicks and matches and was pretty much written off as a failure.

Look at him now, one of the top heels in wrestling.

Could say exactly the same for Bully Ray in TNA too.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
The Cork is correct, Mark Henry is definitely someone who shined in 2011. He was given the ball, and he rolled with it. Kevin Nash has done nothing. In fact, pretty much all of these awards screams CM Punk mark, and though I am a fan of him... in this case, it doesn't seem like you're looking clearly throughout the wrestling year. Plus, the entire post was pretty much written in the aspect of an enthusiast, instead of a analyst looking back on the year.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I don´t agree with a Breakout Star of the year award. Breakout star of the year should be some new guy that really grown up this year. CM Punk could be the breakout star in 2008, not 2011.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Breakout star would be between Ziggler and Rhodes for me, I'd say Ziggler more because he's done a lot and wrestled in main events and is now the #1 Contender.

CM Punk wasn't the breakout star, maybe the most controversial if you added that one in.