10 Years Ago...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
The past decade in wrestling has probably been the most shocking in an industry with over 80 years of history and there has basically been one mainstream promotion, the WWE, mainly involved in this decade's top wrestling stories.

So it's 2001, the peak of the wrestling boom of the late 90's and the unfathomable for a wrestling fan happens, Vince McMahon has bought WCW. An era in the industry ends just like that, and the most exciting news story that could ever happen in the industry happens. Then the InVasion happens and we tend to forget that it was easily the biggest botched storyline of all time. So if it were October or so of 2001, if someone told you that these certain events would occur, which one would you find most shocking:

Eric Bishoff shows up on Raw and hugs Vince McMahon

Chris Benoit murder story

Ric Flair is nearing 70 and still bleeding like a stuck pig in a second rate, second tier promotion ran by Bischoff

Eddie Guerrero's death

The Rock and Steve Austin leave the business in less than two years

An unknown rookie would be given the biggest push in the company's history, leave the company before two years and find larger fame as a cage fighter

That ECW would get a proper resurrection with two highly entertaining and successful PPVs, followed by a three year tv run, all under the WWE umbrella

WWF loses a lawsuit to the WWF and changes it's name to WWE

Goldberg, the nWo, Scott Steiner and all the names Vince deemed "too expensive" to bring into the InVasion were brought in to prop up sagging ratings

Bret Hart would return to the WWE

HBK, after a four year hiatus, would return to have an even more spectacular career.

Hulk Hogan's nostalgia tour and WWE title reign after a ten year hiatus from the company

A company would arise in the absence of WCW and ECW and attempt to go mainstream and that the promotion would be ran by Hulk Hogan, Vince Russo and Eric Bishoff

Undertaker is 19-0 at WrestleMania and has put on the company's best match three years running in his late 40s.

Other.

plachi

Banned
Reaction score
I think it has to be the Benoit thing. Wrestlers make comebacks and bury hatchets all the time, things like Austin and Rock moving on is just the passage of time, and Guerrero's death is just another very sad statistic, but the way that Benoit ended his and his family's lives was completely shocking and unprecedented.

...god...

Reaction score
Ric Flair isn't even close to 70, shows how much you know about your boyhood hero.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Benoit, by far, the most shocking and depressing wrestling related story not just in the decade, in said 80 plus years. I can only hope we never have a story like this again in wrestling, or anywhere.

Besides that, perhaps the beginning of the downfall of pro wrestling in America in the last decade saddens me. There were good moments though, even in WWE.

A few of my favorite moments since WWE bought WCW.

- Brock/Show ring/fall
- Brock/Kurt at WM19
- HBK's title win at the first EC
- Bret shaking HBK's hand on 1/4/10
- Rey winning the Rumble
- Shelton upsetting Trips in '04
- MITB at WM21 (Also the commercials for that show.)
- Matt Hardy/Edge angle in '05
- Buff Bagwell's debut on Raw in '01
- ECW having way better TV than Raw or SD throughout '08-'09
- Nexus Debut
- Edge's recent dealio

Also, the end of WM20, which in a horrible twist of fate, became my saddest moment since '01, but yeah, it sucks pretty much. Really sad. :(