WWE: "King of the Ring"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

LAURINAITIS33

Reaction score
In the fall of 2009, WWE Owner, Vince McMahon, was growing more impatient everyday with his creative team. McMahon complained over their feeble attempts to find, create and push new superstars for the company. This had became visibly clear after a rash of injuries took out some of the key established veterans and television ratings fell to new lows. McMahon then had to turn to a tactic of bringing celebrity hosts to help the show but that didn't help. Now finally the veterans are returning and the ratings have risen back up to it's usual ratings but Vince vowed to not let the problem happen again. He vowed this time other superstars will be ready to "step up and deliver."

Vince held a meeting with his creative team and everybody knew this one was serious. He heard and shot down pitches from everybody on their different ideas to push certain wrestlers. Vince was doubting his creative team more then ever and was probably about ready to send the all packing until ECW head writer, Ed Koskey, spoke up.

Koskey pitched a new idea for the "King of the Ring" tournament for 2009. Instead of the usual format, let 32 superstars compete for the prize. He laid it out with the whole tournament being on the only tri-branded show, WWE Superstars, with the tournament spanning roughly 3 months. He continued with McMahon offering not only the "King of the Ring" title but also a one million dollar cash prize and a title shot at "Royal Rumble" against the winner's respective brand champion. He finished off with stating this will not only push one star way up the ladder but also help numerous superstars with strong efforts in the tournament.

The room fell quiet as Vince mulled it over. Finally, something that hadn't been seen in awhile in a creative meeting happened, Vince McMahon smiled. He praised Koskey as he slammed the others for their lousy ideas. He walked out with instructions for everybody to help out and to put Koskey's plan in motion.

The creative team came up with a list of 32 superstars, all of them having never held a World singles title in the WWE (World or WWE). Finally it was announced to the fans about the new King of the Ring format as the fans ate the new idea up as the most exciting idea in a long time.

3445309681_5801e4ffee.jpg

thChris_Masters4.jpg

"The Masterpiece" Chris Masters

thCody_Rhodes10.jpg

Cody Rhodes

thChavo_Guerrero9.jpg

Chavo Guerrero Jr.

thCarlito3.jpg

Carlito

thMatt_Sydal2.jpg

Evan Bourne

thJack_Swagger6.jpg

"The All-American American" Jack Swagger

thJamie_Noble5.jpg

Jamie Noble

thKofi_Kingston11.jpg

Kofi Kingston

thMark_Henry6.jpg

"The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry

thMike_Mizanin2.jpg

"The Miz" Mike Mizanin

thMVP.jpg

MVP

thPrimo_Colon.jpg

Primo Colon

thSantino_Marella3.jpg

Santino Marella

thTed_DiBiase_Jr8.jpg

Ted DiBiase Jr.

thCharlie_Haas15.jpg

Charlie Haas

thDolph_Ziggler.jpg

Dolph Ziggler

thJohn_Morrison4.jpg

"The Shaman of Sexy" John Morrison

thMatt_Hardy17.jpg

Matt Hardy

thMike_Knox7.jpg

Mike Knox

thR-Truth4.jpg

R-Truth

thChristian9.jpg

Christian

thEzekiel_Jackson.jpg

Ezekiel Jackson

thHurricane_Helms3.jpg

Hurricane Helms

thFinlay6.jpg

Finlay

thPaul_Burchill11.jpg

Paul Burchill

thS_O_Shaunesy.jpg

"The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus

thShelton_Benjamin20.jpg

"The Golden Standard" Shelton Benjamin

thTyler_Reks.jpg

Tyler Reks

thVladimir_Kozlov3-1.jpg

Vladimir Kozlov

thWilliam_Regal20.jpg

Sir William Regal

thYoshitatsu.jpg

Yoshi Tatsu

thZack_Ryder5.jpg

Zach Ryder

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Well after talking to you about this concept over the past few days I am interested to see where this goes and how well you can make it work. Good luck although I know you do not need it.

Evil Austin

Great backstory behind it, good luck.
Although I was hoping for you to continue that IWF Exclusive BTB, Extreme meets Wrestling.

seX-Power

What are those asian symbols in between lines, they make me not want to read.

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
Very good, I really like the idea, it is pitched well with everything on Superstars. It sounds like something I would be interested in. The people you chose are very well done. They are all people I really like so I will be interested in see if you just have straight "I WANNA WIN THE TITLE" storylines or actual drama storylines, which would be better.

LAURINAITIS33

Reaction score
3445309681_5801e4ffee.jpg

Wrestling Superstars comes live this week from Washington DC as newly reformed broadcast team of Jerry "The King" Lawler from RAW and Jim Ross from Smackdown is shown at ringside. The crowd is pumped as the whole wrestling world has been abuzz about the million dollar "King of the Ring Tournament."

JR: "Welcome everyone, I'm good ol' JR, here once again with once my long-time partner, Jerry "The King" Lawler. It's good to be back with ya King."

Lawler: "The feeling is mutual. JR. It's been awhile since we have been together and it feels like old times already. I see that you haven't changed a bit."

JR:" I'll probably never change, King. It's like the old saying goes "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" and the way I look at it if it isn't broke don't fix it"

Lawler: " Teaming us back up together shows how important this event really is. For the first time ever, WWE Chairman, Vincent Kennedy McMahon has offered a one million dollar cash prize for the winner of this year's "King of the Ring Tournament."

JR: "The money sure is nice but just as imporant, the winner will also get the chance to compete for their respective Heavyweight Champion at one of the biggest pay per views of the year "The Royal Rumble." Everybody knows that the "Road to Wrestlemania" starts at that event."

Lawler: "It's every superstars's dream to headline "Wrestlemania" and winning this tournament will get one superstar on the way to achieving that goal."

JR: "The rules to this tournament is very simple. You lose and you go home. You can win a match by either pinfall, submission, countout or disqualifcation.The matchups are a surprise to the fans and the superstars as nobody is told before hand who they will be facing. The tournament will end when one man is left"

Lawler: "I know if I was still competing, I would hate not knowing who I have to face or even if I have to wrestle that night or not."

JR: "Each wrestler was summoned to "Superstars" this week by Vince McMahon and all 32 men are backstage tonight, awaiting the word if they are wrestling tonight. It seems that we have just been told of the first matchup of the night, for that announcement we will welcome the newest addition to the WWE broadcasting team, Don West."

(We go backstage to the lockeroom area where the Don West is standing with mic in hand and an envelope in the other. We see the group of superstars surround him as he pulls out the letter and reads. A smile comes across his face as he announces the first names)

West: "The first matchup in the 2009 "King of the Ring $1,000,000 challenge is from RAW "Caribbean Cool" Carlito....."

(A smile comes across Carlito's face as he bites into an apple and makes his way through the mob of supestars. He takes another big bite as he awaits for the announcement of his opponent)

West: "Carlito will face from ECW, the only WWE superhero "Hurricane" Helms."

(Superhero music hits as Hurricane comes darting into the picture in full superhero gear. Carlito smiles and mocks the Hurricane as he chews on the apple. He goes to spit it on Hurricane, who quickly blocks the attempt with his cape, guarding his face from the apple pieces)

Helms: "Whatzzzz up with thaaat?"

(Carlito is annoyed as the other superstars break out in laughter as he has been shown up by Helms. Carlito shoves Helms back and goes back through to the crowd to the locker room to get ready as we go to commercial)

-------------COMMERCIAL BREAK-----------------------

JR: "What a first round matchup, Carlito taking on the Hurricane. This is a pretty even match-up to start off this tournament. Carlito has recently turned over a new leaf after walking out on his brother after they lost the Unified Tag Team Championship and Helms has brought back his successful "Hurricane" character after years of just being himself."

Lawler: "I don't know what to say about a grown man dressing up like superheroes but for someone reason Helms has gone back to it. I mean, he was the longest reigning Cruiserweight Champion ever after dropping the gimmick but for some reason he has decided to resort back to this. But he better be ready becasue the new more serious, Carlito is on a mission the past few months as he came up short against then-United States Champion, Kofi Kingston numerous times but was still very impressive in the matches."

(Music hits as the crowd boos as Carlito appears on the ramp and makes his way to the ring. He looks more focused as he seems on a mission after being shown up by the Hurricane backstage. He enters the ring and awaits his opponent. The crowd roars as the lights in the arena go to green as Hurricane appears on the ramp, He highfives the crowd on his way down and quickly jumps in the ring as Carlito slithers under the bottom rope, Helms climbs to the top rope and soaks in the impressive cheers from the crowd,)

Match One

Summary

Carlito VS Hurricane Helms

Summary

The evenly matched duo put on a good match to open the show. Carlito dominated in the beginning as he attacked Helms as he unhooked his cape. Carlito used the cape to choke out Helms. stopping just short of being DQed by the referee. Carlito went on to a vicious attack on the neck of Helms hoping to hurt the body part that kept Helms sideline for over a year. The crowd tried desperately to get behind the Hurricane but every brief comeback from Helms was thwarted by an Carlito reversal and then him refocusing on the neck. JR and Lawler were calling for the referee to stop the match as Helms looked like he was being too brave for his own good. After near falls, Carlito grew frustrated and decided to finally try to finish Helms with the dangeous piledriver. As fans gasped for Helms well-doing, Hurricane had a little left in the tank as he reversed it with a back body drop and then before Carlito could realized, he got caught with the "Shining Wizard" as he tried to get back up. Helms quickly went for the pin and moved on to the second round.

Winner

Hurricane Helms

(An angry Carlito goes for a after match attack on Helms but he quickly exits the ring. Helms celebrates up the ramp as Carlito looks shocked and upset in the ring with just what happened)

JR: "What a turn of events as I was sure The Hurricane was done for then out of nowhere he hits the "Shining Wizard" and now Carlito is gone from the "King of the Ring" tournament."

Lawler: "I think we had our first upset, JR. I know Helm's accomplishment but Carlito isn't no slouch either and coming back from that serious injury earlier this year, I didn't know how much Helms has got back already. Carlito can't be happy with this as he will head back to RAW with the distinctiion of being the first one out of "The King of the Ring".

------------COMMERCIAL BREAK-------

(We come back from break and we see Gregory Helms leaving with his gym bag as Don West yells at him to stop. West leaves the the group of 30 superstars waiting for the announcement of the next match)

West: "Gregory, can I have a moment?"

(Helms stops and comes over to West)

West: "I just want to see your reaction about winning your matchup here tonight against Carlito. "

Helms: "What are you talking about? I didn't wrestle here tonight, I showed up late tonight for the show and they gave my spot to the Hurricane. I heard he won so good for him. Doesn't make me happy I don't get to compete but I'll go back to ECW and try my hardest"

West: "So wait a minute, you want us all to believe that you are not the Hurricane. We all know that was you out there earlier."

Helms: "I don't know what to tell you to believe me but............"

(Helms can't finish his sentence as Carltio attacks him from behind. Carlito runs him face first into the wall and then gives him repeated shots with a steel chair until Helms is motionless. West is yelling in horror for Carlto to stop and he finally does)

Carlito: "Now that was cool"

(Carlito walks off as a man comes around the corner with an envelope and hands it to West. We take it that is the next match-up. West reads the envelope and announces the next match)

West: "It looks like we have another RAW Vs ECW matchup as Zach Ryder is going to face off against the other Colon brother, Primo in the tournament's next matchup"

(Primo and Ryder come through the crowd to join West as the two come face to face before their match-up)

Ryder: "WOO......WOO...WOO...YOU KNOW IT!"

(Ryder, says cocky to the Puerto Rican star. Primo just stares unmoved from the taunts, then suddenly smacks Ryder in the face, knocking off his sunglasses. Primo walks off as Ryder rubs his cheek and we take it to ringside)

JR: " I would like to know, what the hell is wrong with Carlito. The was no reason for that attack on Gregory Helms, except for Carlito being a poor sport because he lost."

Lawler: "I would like to know, what is Helms up too. He can't be serious when he says he isn't The Hurricane. Everybody knows that him and I think that is what drove Carlito over the edge and provoked the attack."

JR: "And it looks like the Colon intensity is running in the family as Primo showed it by slapping the cocky, Zach Ryder."

Lawler: "It seemed that Ryder was trying to get in the head, maybe of the younger superstar, Primo but Primo has been around the wrestling business since birth and it was nothing he hasn't seen before."

(Music hits)

JR: "What the hell? That's World Heavyweight Champion, Randy Orton's music. He isn't schedule to be here and he most certainly isn't in this King of the Ring tournament."

(Orton appears on the ramp to major heat from the arena fans. He slowly makes his way to ringside as we go too commercial)

------COMMERCIAL BREAK------

(We come back and we see Orton now sitting beside Lawler with a headset as the music of Primo fills the arena and he gets a small pop from the crowd, while he makes his way to ringside, JR makes the time to get some answers from Orton)

JR: "What are you doing here, Randy, I know it can't be anything good."

Orton: "That's the same old, JR, accusing me of stuff that hasn't even happened yet. I just came here to watch in person, the most exciting, new idea in years this $1 million "King of the Ring" tournament and too also lend moral support to my fellow Legacy members, Ted Dibiase Jr and Cody Rhodes, who will be wrestling in this tournament."

JR: "And to help them too get there, I'm sure by interfering in their matches.."

Orton: "I know you have been on Smackdown for awhile, JR and maybe you haven't noticed my anger problems but I"m not liking your accusing me. I have no problem taking you and RKOing you through this announce table."

(Tensions are growing between the two as Ryder music hits and the crowd gives him some heat but a few cheers sprinkled in. He doesn't look happy about the slap from Primo earlier as he makes his way to ringside. Lawler decides to cool things down as he talks to Orton)

Lawler: "Let's change the subject, Randy. I want to know, what will happen if Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase has to face each other in this tournament at some point. Are they going to compete against each other or not?"

Orton: "Well, hopefully they won't have to face each other until the finals and then they plan on walking out together and splitting the 1 mill between themselves and forfeiting their title shot against me at Royal Rumble and the three of us will have one hell of a party the night of Royal Rumble instead of competiting at the show."

JR: "That's a bunch of hogwash, You telling me that they are going to moreless call it a tie and share the tournament win. I for one, hope they both don't make it to the finals."

Orton: "Trust me, they will, if I have anything to say about it."

JR: "That's what I thought"

Match Two

Primo Colon VS Zach Ryder

Summary

Colon kept up the momentum earlier as he uses his speed early to keep Ryder off-balance. At one time, Primo dropkicked Ryder out of the ring and motioned to Orton at ringside that he will be coming for his title at Royal Rumble, something that Orton on-air joked about. Primo went to the high risk well one too many times as Ryder ducked a cross body attempt and connected with a leg lariat on Colon. Ryder then controlled the match as he kept Primo on the ground between using a Russian Leg Sweep and a swinging neck breaker for near falls. After an inverted DDT, Ryder went to the top rope for a missle dropkick attempt but Primo ducked out of the way, sending Ryder crashing to the mat hurting his arm as he landed on it wrong. Primo quickly hits a Backstabber but Ryder surprised most by getting his foot on the rope, breaking the count. Primo, then connected on a Stunner and drags Ryder to the center of the ring before he went to the top rope. Before Primo can come off the rope, his brother, Carlito appeared from the crowd and shoved Primo off the top as the referee checked on the condition of Ryder's arm. Primo hit the mat with a nasty thud as Ryder slowly got to his feet. Primo fell victim to the "Zack Attack" as Ryder hit the finisher as Primo finally got up for the three count.

Winner

Zach Ryder

JR: "Uhhhh. come on, they need to get Carlito out of the building. He lost and not only he attacked Gregory Helms afterwards, now he cost his brother, Primo the win and moving on."

Orton: "See, JR. You are out accusing me about interference and see what happens. somebody else does it. If I was going to interfere, I would do it the way Carlito did it, not sitting out here with you as everybody would be expecting me to get involved.

Lawler: "Yeah, JR, they do call him "The Viper" for a reason."

JR: "Shut up King, who's side our you on?"

(JR annoyingly stares at King as Orton looks like he is staying at ringside as we go to commercial)

------------COMMERCIAL BREAK--------------

(We come back to the backstage area as we the remaining 28 superstars creating a path as paramedics are taking Primo Colon out on a stretcher. The missed diving headbutt attempt followed up by the "Zack Attack" caused a serious injury to what looks like the neck, as he is seen having a neck brace on. Some superstars wish him luck as they turn the corner and sees Carlito standing, stopping the stretcher himself. Carlito gets in the face of his brother and laughs as suddenly security shows up and slams Carlito into the wall, allowing the stretcher to get loaded into the waiting ambulance. They handcuff Carlito and lead him out of the arena as he can be heard laughing about the chaos he created in the tournament's first night)

(Zach Ryder appears as West flags him down for some post match comments)

West: "I would like to say you had an impressive showing, here tonight but let's face it, you all it all to Carlito's help."

Ryder: "Whooaaaaa...wait one minute there, chubby. The "Zack Attack" didn't ask for Carlito's help, didn't want Carlito's help or didn't need Carlito's help. I was never in trouble, it was alll apart of the Zack Ryder Master Plan."

West: "So laying there out of it was an act because where I was watching it looked pretty convincing to me. I think Primo had you beat."

Ryder: "Go ahead and believe that if you want because no one is stopping the "Zack Attack" on the way to one million dollllllars!!!

(Ryder turns around and runs right into Mark Henry. He takes a step back as the crowd cheers and looks sheepishly as he walks around as Henry laughs. The messenger comes up and hands Don West the last match up of the night.)

West: "Well it looks like we are going to have our third RAW VS ECW match of the night as one of the newest ECW superstars, Tyler Reks will face off against "Legacy" member, Ted Dibiase Jr."

(Tyler Reks is excited as he yells and comes through the superstar crowd as they slowly disperse. Dibiase walks up with Cody in tow but instead of going for the interview, they walk past Reks and West like they are not even there. Reks and West shrug their shoulders over "Legacy" not wanting to talk as we go to commerical)

----COMMERCIAL BREAK--------

(We go back to ringside)

JR: "Well it's lucky for you, that one of your "Legacy" teammates, Ted Dibiase Jr is getting to compete tonight and you are able to be here in person to watch, I guess."

Orton: " I would have been every week for my guys, JR. I"m very proud of both, Ted and Cody."

Lawler: "You're like a big brother to them, aren't you Randy?"

JR: "Quit kissing up, King."

Orton: "Don't mind him, King. You are right, "Legacy" is like family. They have helped me with my problems, so I"m here to help them with theirs. It is my responsibilty as the World Heavyweight Champion to help guide these young talents, King."

JR: "What a load of bull"

(Music hits as Tyler Reks appears down the ramp to a small pop from the crowd, He doesn't look nervous about the biggest match of his short career at all. He looks at Orton, curiously as the exchange words before Reks gets in the ring. Boos start instantly as Ted Dibiase Jr. appears with Cody Rhodes. They make their way to the ring as Reks checks out all three Legacy members, cautiously.)

Match Three

Ted Dibiase Jr. VS Tyler Reks

Summary

The two met up in the ring as Dibiase joked about Rek's appearance to his "Legacy" buddy, Cody Rhodes but Reks started the match fast with a series of blows that made Dibiase head to the floor to regroup. After a brief discussion with Rhodes, then Orton, Dibiase returned to the ring at the nine count but Reks stayed in control. Showcasing both aerial moves and power moves, Reks totally kept Dibiase guessing in the match, almost winning the match numerous times. A big boot by Reks followed up by a hard-hitting belly to back suplex got Orton to take his headset off and leave the announce table as he was now worried. This caused the opening for Dibiase as Reks, showed his lack of experience, as he got more worried about Orton allowing himself to get caught by a running knee to the back by Dibiase, that knocked Reks out to the ring and too the feet of Orton.

The referee though, kept his eye on Orton as Orton was left with no choice to just berate the rookie, Reks with words as it was his turn to return to the ring at the 9 count. Dibiase stayed in control as he stomped away unmercifully at Reks as the referee warned a DQ if he didn't stop in the corner. Orton and Rhodes applauded Dibiase's effort as he worked over Reks, who seemed like he had his chance in the match and blew it. Dibiase looked like he was making Reks pay for making him look bad in the beginning as he sent Reks down with a DDT but instead of pinning him, he played to the crowd and walked over and cockily smacked Reks in the head as Tyler tried to pull himself up before taking him over with a suplex. Orton had seen enough as he called for Ted to finally finish him. Ted looked to oblige as he reached down and pulled up Reks by his hair but Reks countered with a jaw breaker that sent Dibiase down. The crowd went wild as Reks connected on a jumping elbow and almost got the win. A then connected with a springboard drop kick which got Randy Orton on the ring apron, worried.

The referee jumped all over Orton to get down and the two argued as from the other side Cody Rhodes entered the ring with some sort of pipe, that he got from under the ring. Reks turns around as Rhodes swinged but ducked in time as Rhodes instead connected with Dibiase, who just staggered back to his feet. Rhodes was in shock about what just happened as Orton dropped down without realizing the mistake. Reks took advantage with a springboard moonsault off the ropes and got the pin and the great upset.

Winner

Tyler Reks

(Reks quickly rolls out of the ring as Dibiase tries to figure out what happened. Rhodes and Orton enter the ring to check out Dibiase as Reks escapes to the back. Dibiase isn't pleased as his head clears and he knows what happened. Dibiase shoves Rhodes and the two start arguing as Orton tries to intervene between the two. Finally Dibiase drops Rhodes with a right hand and leaves Orton and Rhodes in the ring and walks to the back himself.)

JR: "It looks like Randy Orton and Legacy's plan backfired and their is definately now some major problems within the group with these turn of events."

Lawler: "There is definately problems now, Rhodes cost Dibiase the match, but Dibiase's chances was looking good at the time and maybe he will realize that once he calms down."

JR: "Looking back, what a night it was, for The Hurricane, Zach Ryder and Tyer Reks and for ECW as they go 3-0 against RAW superstars and they all advance to round two and a better chance at winning the 1,000,000 dollar "King of the Ring Tournament. For Don West, Jerry Lawler and myself, Good night, everybody!"

(The camera shows one more shot of Orton and Rhodes in the ring as they stare up at an angry Dibiase on the entrance ramp before the show fades out)

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
Opening Commetary was good, really setting the scene for the show. Other then that it is good that you have King and J.R teaming again and I can only hope that you give King a heelish persona.

Epic, Helms showing up Carlito despite that I can't read what Helms is saying, bad L-33. Just one question, where the hell did Don West come from?

Heel Helms> Hurrican, anyway, please let him beat Carlito, who really I despise. Despite the annoying spelling mistake I saw, the summary itself was good. It was good to see that even in recap form, ring psychology was focused on heavily. I loved the fact that Carlito focused on the injured neck which was good. Although, I did not like the quick ending, it seemed as if was rushed to be done. Yay for Helms escaping and getting rid of Carlito.

The promo was good, loved the thing with Helms denying it, even better. The Carlito attacking him starts a good storyline and something interesting. WOO WOO WOO!

Snores, Orton is here. Make him interesting, I know, mission impossible but try. Although now, Orton seemed weird on commentary. Got better in the second bit if you ask me, like you took a break and then restarted making it better.

Well the match itself to me seemed very, average. I don't know why but I would have rathered Zack Ryder control more of the match and Carlito. What a bastard, now he will have two people gunning for him. I'm sorry, I don't know what but something about this match didn't really click for me.

Must say, Orton, King and J.R are doing great. Wait, so he laughs while being taken, why couldn't he have the right to remain silent and take that right.

Zack Ryder was perfect, that and since Superstars is more a match based show, the length was good. Oh and Kill him Henry, kthnxbai.

Ha, these guys are golden on commentary. First, who is Tyler Reks? Second, it was a good match that flowed well. The use of the characters was good and the ending was done well. Oh and ooo Face Turn perhaps.

Overall, was a good show despite the annoying colors, the formatting could use a bit of work. I am also glad that you are incorparating storylines in and not just I WANNA WIN THIS TOURNAMENT STUFF. Carlito annoyed me because of the overuse and my hate for him. Commentary was golden as well. kthnxbai.

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Opening Commentary: "Very good and in character for both Lawler and King. Glad to see the Burt and Ernie of WWE back together. They did a good job gettingt he mood set and explaining the tournament.

Don West Match Announcement: I like the idea of Don West being in the back and not doing commentary honestly. He is good in short sections and this suits him just fine. I am a little eh on the envelope match announcements but hey it works.

Carlito vs. Hurricane: Not a bad match. I liked the upset victory over Carlito. Threw us a little curve ball there. I liked the fact that you played off the neck injury he had and the commentary before hand burying the hurricane made me chuckle. Very Nice upset though.

Don West/Helms: It started off comical with the whole Helms denying he is the Hurricane and than the attack from Carlito made sense but kinda brought down the segment. It is going to be hard to build an angle out of this when it is a tournament and once your beat you're gone.

Randy Orton joining commentary: At first I figured Legacy was up next but no you have him come down for Primo and Ryder? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yeah Orton was doing good on commentary and playing off of JR but seemed way too early and out of place.

Primo vs. Ryder: I personally think that the Ryder Character can go pretty far in the tournament. The match was very evenly matched and the pace was good. But having Carlito come out again? Overkill. Yeah I understand they had beef but you could have spaced it out more. Two attacks by Carlito is too much for one show. Glad to see Ryder advance though.

Ryder Promo: Very in character and I personally thought it was promo of the night so far. Really plays off the character and hyped him up for the next round. Very well done.

Reks vs Dibiase: Really built the Dibiase character early on. Almost like a mini Orton with the moves he does. Like rolling to the outside or how he didn't go for the pin and taunted his opponent. I liked though how you made sure Reks wasn't getting squashed and actually gave him a fair amount of offense. Seeing Reks go over was shocking! I couldn't believe all that build up with Orton and Legacy and Reks goes over shocked me. Put I do love how it finally pitted Dibiase against Legacy.

Overall: 8.5/10 I think the over exposure of carlito brought this down but it was still a fantastic show! I loved the concept and the first show did not disappoint.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Solid opening with the reunion of King and JR. Unlike many BTBs you have a realisitic reason for them being together and it helps give the tournament the big time feel.

Don West in the WWE? Not sure if I like that but for me he is better then giving the job to some Diva, just to get her on the show. With all 32 Superstars grouped together waiting for the matches to be announced, I see a brawl breaking out sometime.

Nice little build-up for Carlito and Helms and a good match to start off the show. I think this is going to be one of the hardest things for you in this, to build up matches.

I don't see Hurricane as an upset here. I think people have forgot, how good Hurricane was before his injury. I don't like the ending with only one big move by Helms knocking Carlito out but hell Vince did it on Monday Night to him.

Carlito attacking Helms after the match, after he denies be the Hurricane is a strange move. Don't know how you are going to build off it since you are doing RAW or Smackdown. I'll be paying attention to this storyline to see what you do with it.

Orton showing up means somebody from Legacy will be wrestling but also for me gave the tournament and show more respectibility with the big stars coming out to do something. You did a good job with commentary here blending all three together well.

Primo showing a more intense side with the slap before the match made me think him and Carlito was kinda togethter but you changed that with another attack by Carlito. It seems that you want to do something with Carlito even though he lost or u couldn't think of a better way to have Primo lose. Don't know about this decision but you got it rigth with Ryder advancing.

Ryder showing off, then a final attack by Carlito. I'm glad Carlito is off the show for the rest of the night but you do have me wondering about him. Ryder's little confrontation with Henry is something I have to remember for Round Two to see if they match up.

There is the "Legacy" member Dibiase. I know it supposed to be a surprise picks but hey they do this shit in real life too so I'll give you a pass. Don't know if I can give you a pass with Tyler Reks pulling the big-time upset but I expect a couple of shockers in this thing and you didn't disappoint. I figured Dibiase would make it far in this thing but I was wrong with that assumption. The problems with Legacy is a good storyline but something I have seen before.

The biggest thing I get from this is how you are going to continue the Carlito and Legacy stories. They are interesting and something i would like to see more. I know you had problems with your formatting but this simple approach surprisingly works best I think as I found it easy to read and follow.

Overall 8/10

edgehead09

Reaction score
ok, ima do this a little different than what some people do. Basically ima just write what i rememeber and my thoughts on it

First, i think that reuniting JR and King is good because it brings back the special feeling you get when u seem them together. I like that you are giving storylines within the matches. Hurricane gettin a push is good because he is really good at selling merchandice and a great wrestler. Carlito was not overused in my opinion and his arrest was good. PUSH ZACK RYDER pls. He is golden but u need to make his character more comedy than a serious heel. Primo is getting written off and will prolly come back wit a new gimmick. IDK about Don West getting the job but i guess it could work. I also liked that you didnt use a big guy to go over ted because it confuses the smarks that ultimately think squash match. A Dibiase face run is very realistic especially with the Marine 2 coming out. That is all i reeally have for you. Moving onto Andrew's show now...

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

L33 King of the ring review-Spiralshock Style

Matches

Carlito vs. Hurricane Helms was a good way to open the show. Excellent ring psychology shown by Carlito attacking the neck of Hurricane. Finish was well done as Hurricane picks up the surprise victory. Primo vs. Zach Ryder was also a solid match. Great action throughout and the finish leaves the door open not only for a Colon feud but also for Zack Ryder to have an injury to work with in the next round. Now we get to the main event of Ted Dibiase Jr. Vs. Tyler Reks was really good.
Excellent back and forth action with both men controlling a decent amount of the match. The fact that Orton and Rhodes were out there to trying to get Dibiase through to the next round but it backfired was a nice touch. Overall there were some good matches on here plus we got some good storylines for the next couple shows.

Promos

Hurricane and Carlito's little backstage segment was impromptu and good for what it was. Gregory Helms interview was entertaining and very Eric Young/Super Eric-ish. The attack by Carlito was expected. Maybe Gregory Helms can feud with Carlito as Hurricane competes in the tournament. Ryder and Primo was decent, nothing special really. Orton showing up really adds to the legitimacy of the tournament as Orton is actually taking the time to scout matches to see who he might end up facing at the Royal Rumble. Carlito's involvement in this episode verged on overkill. Especially for someone who was eliminated from the tournament so quickly. Ryder's promo and subsequent encounter with Mark Henry was ok. Gives us something to look forward to should Henry and Ryder meet in the tournament. The aftermath with Dibiase and Legacy was well done as it's left up in the air as far as what will happen next between the three. Overall the promos were moderately okay for most of them being impromptu based on the match pairings. Other than the overuse of Carlito not much to really complain about.

Booking

Excellent job here. The upsets were handled perfectly especially the Tyler Reks-Dibiase match. A lot of storylines and things to watch out for were also set up here but they weren't done in the usual over the top LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO SET UP! LOOK! LOOK! It was very subtle which keeps the reader's attention. The only thing I would advise is to not
to overuse people like you did with Carlito.

Flow

This show flowed very smoothly as everything transitioned from one thing to another very effectively.

Overall

I personally would have gone with either a Raw or a Smackdown as the first show as you would have had two hours of show to write which would have kicked the tournament off with a real bang. Either way this tournament is already off to a good start as we've seen two upsets and some storylines have been set up for future shows. I'm hooked.

Chance

Reaction score
You clearly excell at writing dialogue, as the commentarry is just spot on. Your characterisations and comments from JR and King sound just like they do in real life, so kudos on that.

I absolutely LOVE this concept. It is by far my favourite concept of any BTB I've read. It's so simplistic, yet so realistic and so necessarry. In real life Superstars is gaining a reputation for putting on great matches between under-rated wrestlers. Your concept once again adds interest and intrigue into the top title situation, and elevates it beyond soap opera drama.

I like the idea that the matches are a complete surprise to everyone, and I feel that the concept is strong enough that this would not hinder the advertising and promotion of the TV show.

Anytime a BTB focuses on often-overlooked mid-to-lower-card wrestlers I will be infinitely more interested that the latest person's take on a main eventer like HHH, Styles, Angle or whoever. I love your originality in this, and you definitely have a fan in me.