WWE getting rid of 1 of the 2 top Championships?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I just finished watching RAW & SDL from this week with all of the draft stuff... I didn't see much focus on the WWE Title & then I was wondering why AJ would be fighting for the US Title instead of being in the WWE Title picture.

It seemed like they were treating the US Title with importance & I didn't even notice the belt on SDL actually (correct me if I'm wrong) Even if I am however... seems that with Bray on RAW now, there is a possibility he takes the WWE Title from Randy & brings it to RAW.

Do you think maybe they are focusing on having one main champion only? Then having the US Title be the main focus on SDL?

Maybe Roman wins the WWE Title & after being gone for so long Brock shows up with his to prove who the real champ is? That way they can make a big deal out of Roman Vs Brock.....

Even without that story however, do you think it's possible they are putting both on RAW & then getting rid of one?

I don't think it would be a horrible idea, I've always thought having to best in the company was stupid.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I'm all for the US belt getting some shine, or any midcard belt for that matter. But Smackdown needs its own main event level title. The world title has to stay.

The reason AJ fought for contendership is because they want to add some shine to the US belt and the World belt is locked in a program.

As for Bray taking the belt to RAW. It's Bray Wyatt. He loses every feud he is in. Make of that what you will.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I'm all for the US belt getting some shine, or any midcard belt for that matter. But Smackdown needs its own main event level title. The world title has to stay.

The reason AJ fought for contendership is because they want to add some shine to the US belt and the World belt is locked in a program.

As for Bray taking the belt to RAW. It's Bray Wyatt. He loses every feud he is in. Make of that what you will.

Oh I agree... you just never know what WWE is going to do lol

Was just thinking that maybe they might be building up the US Title to actually BE the main event title of SDL & treat it like a World Title

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
As much as the Universal Belt looks like crap...I don't think so...

With two brands, the two world champions work and if you would unify the belts, then either the Universal title is the shortest-lived world title, or you retire one of the most prestigious titles in wrestling.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Oh I agree... you just never know what WWE is going to do lol

Was just thinking that maybe they might be building up the US Title to actually BE the main event title of SDL & treat it like a World Title
I get what you are saying regarding the US belt and I'd like to see them attempt that as well. But it also has too much historical tarnish for that to work.

They can still make the belt prestigious and meaningful, but as a midcard belt. It's history as a badly booked, unimportant midcard belt is just too long to wash away.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Mid-card championships should hold some level of prestige second to that the of a world championship. However having it be the main title would be...Unwise to say the least. If anything they're either building the US title to main event a PPV for a month or two while Orton and Wyatt continue to bore us OR this is just a way of keeping AJ busy for this month so Wyatt/Orton can have their blow off.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I could see Bray and Randy playing hot potato with the belt for the next couple months so they can main event PPVS with title matchs until Lesnar returns

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
SmackDown needs to have a major/top title, so I doubt they're going to get rid of it and put it on RAW.

Even if they did, which I wouldn't really be a fan of, Lesnar would have to move to SD in order for it to seem like a fair trade - top title for a top title.

As I've said before, I don't see Wyatt beating Orton at Payback and I can't say I mind it, tbh. I want WWE title to remain on SD.

As for the US title, I'm glad it'll be getting some attention and hopefully KO/Styles will bring its prestige back like Cena used to when he was champ in 2015.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I think they're just swapping the Top titles, and not as the rumor states. Just a title swap. Stephanie has hinted at this for a while now. She wants the WWE Title on RAW.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I think they're just swapping the Top titles, and not as the rumor states. Just a title swap. Stephanie has hinted at this for a while now. She wants the WWE Title on RAW.

It makes sense to have that be the main belt. I never understood why the "Universal belt" was considered above it. It has next to no history.

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
First and foremost, WWE ain't getting rid of any belts, let alone any of the two major ones...

As far as a possible swap is concerned, I made mention of the matter while giving my rating of this week's show in the respective thread and, well, bottom line is I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility. You know, with Bray now on RAW and his match with Orton announced for Payback, pretty much everyone has noted how predictable the outcome will be and, well, how Bray will once again lose. While that may very well be the case, you still can't exclude the scenario that he does in fact become WWE champion, brings it to RAW and the following night Brock shows up on Smackdown. It's not really a scenario I see happening for various reasons but it's in the realm of possibilities so I guess we shall find out sooner or later.

On a final note, the fact that AJ got involved in the US title scene I feel is really a simple matter of WWE buying some time. There is no doubt whatsoever that AJ is a top player that only belongs in the major title scene however with the Orton/Wyatt championship match pending, he obviously can't be part of it at the moment so, once more, I think it's just a matter of buying some time. What else was there for AJ to do? So, in the aspect, I think what they're doing makes a lot of sense and it won't be too long before Styles is right back in the major title scene...

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
They'll take WWE title to RAW and dump the universal title on SDLIVE. But i dont see them not having a major title on each show. Like others mentioned I think they are building up the US title and I love that, I hope raw does the same with the intercontinental title too but... RAW.

Reactions: Smg

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Okay:
~ Bray defeats Orton and takes the WWE title to RAW...only to be jobbed out to Rollins or Balor...
~ Lesnar is moved to SmackDown with the Universal title and does nothing for ages...
~ The US title becomes the main title on SmackDown thanks to Styles, Owens, Nakamura & Corbin...
~ [HASHTAG]#IgnoreReigns[/HASHTAG] wins the 2018 Royal Rumble and challenges Lesnar at Wrestlemania 34 for the Universal title...
~ [HASHTAG]#IgnoreReigns[/HASHTAG] wins at Wrestlemania 34 and Vince blows a load listening to everyone boo...

How does that sound for long term planning?

That way RAW has all the "Legacy" titles while SmackDown has the "new" titles...because lets be honest...the WWE doesn't give a fuck about SmackDown...even if the fans do...

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Smackdown has been booked very well for a while now overall, not sure where people get the idea they don't care about the brand from. They put Nakamura (who they're paying a fair wedge of money for by all accounts), AJ (has been pushed pretty much non-stop since he signed) and Owens (he's always in the running for some title since he signed it seems) on there. Not to mention Cena and Orton who are big company favourites.

To be honest, I don't think they give 2 shits about the rest of RAW either unless your name is Roman or his butt buddy Seth
Braun has been booked very well recently for a start, plus you're missing Brock (I doubt anyone could deny the company have pretty much bent over backwards to appease him.) They care about plenty of guys on the roster, sure Roman is the focus but to act like it's solely all about Reigns and Seth is serious hyperbole.