Would you consider Goldberg to be an overrated wrestler with high pop but limited skills who was...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
pushed to the moon by WCW and WWE or do you think he's a great wrestler who may have possibly had some wrestling skills that he neglected?

Many wrestling fans I knew felt that they like Goldberg strictly for his unstoppable wrestling gimmick but felt that he had poor wrestling skills and seems to have only got in the wrestling industry strictly for the money after he left his NFL career due to his injuries, considering that he was never a wrestling fan before Sting and Lex Luger introduced him to it and and got him hooked up. At least that's how these fans I knew felt.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
He's not overrated as a wrestler (unless you're using the words 'wrestler' and 'superstar' interchangeably) because people weren't invested in him because he busted out a large number of wrestling maneuvers every match. They loved seeing him smash people, and they got what they paid for. He had a certain kind of bad-ass aura and intensity that you won't find in any other powerhouse in history other than Lesnar. Not to mention his theme, booking (at least for a time), entrance, finisher, etc. were all perfect. In his prime, he used to draw as many as around 800,000 new viewers just from his squash matches alone, which is pretty incredible.

Yeah, he was pretty limited in the ring, but so was the biggest star in history (Hulk Hogan.) It's not about the number of moves you know, it's how you use them and how well you're able to tell a story in the ring. Goldberg did well enough in the ring with what he had.

Reactions: Aztecwarrior480

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
He's not overrated as a wrestler (unless you're using the words 'wrestler' and 'superstar' interchangeably) because people weren't invested in him because he busted out a large number of wrestling maneuvers every match. They loved seeing him smash people, and they got what they paid for. He had a certain kind of bad-ass aura and intensity that you won't find in any other powerhouse in history other than Lesnar. Not to mention his theme, booking (at least for a time), entrance, finisher, etc. were all perfect.

Yeah, he was pretty limited in the ring, but so was the biggest star in history (Hulk Hogan.) It's not about the number of moves you know, it's how you use them and how well you're able to tell a story in the ring. Goldberg did well enough in the ring with what he had.
Yeah, I never understood why a lot of purist wrestling fans always like to criticize wrestlers who aren't known for technical skills. To me, pro wrestling is very similar to boxing and MMA in a sense that every competitor has different styles of entertaining/fighting and not everyone is the same. If all wrestlers were pure technicians, then there'd be little to no competition and pro wrestling would just be very dull to follow. It's nice to have all sorts of pro wrestling styles.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah, I never understood why a lot of purist wrestling fans always like to criticize wrestlers who aren't known for technical skills. To me, pro wrestling is very similar to boxing and MMA in a sense that every competitor has different styles of entertaining/fighting and not everyone is the same. If all wrestlers were pure technicians, then there'd be little to no competition and pro wrestling would just be very dull to follow. It's nice to have all sorts of pro wrestling styles.

It's not just about styles either, people generally love seeing characters clash with one another. If someone has a compelling enough personality that the audience is invested enough in, they can be the worst wrestler in the world and they'll still end up entertaining people whenever they have a match.

Funnily enough, personality matters in real combat sports like boxing and UFC as well, but that's a different issue.

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
It's not just about styles either, people generally love seeing characters clash with one another. If someone has a compelling enough personality that the audience is invested enough in, they can be the worst wrestler in the world and they'll still end up entertaining people whenever they have a match.

Funnily enough, personality matters in real combat sports like boxing and UFC as well, but that's a different issue.
Pretty much, other wise Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather, George Foreman and Joe Frazier wouldn't have been who they are and making millions of dollars in and out of boxing had it not been for their own unique personalities. Same applies to wrestlers.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Gillberg plays a better Goldberg lol just kidding I had to sneak that in there..

I liked Goldberg as a kid I thought he was a power house. That's the last time I watched him, other than a highlight reel of his spear.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Goldberg was limited in the ring, but him Spearing the shit out of someone was always fun.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
i didn't watch WCW back in the day but Goldberg is definitely unique. He's a powerhouse and his intensity is what makes him exciting. He's built like a tank and has a badass entrance. Obviously not the greatest technical wrestler, but he is still able to entertain which is what its really all about.

Reactions: Gman003

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Goldberg was cool but I will always think about how badly WCW fucked up his push. It could have been so much better than it was, they missed out on so many opportunities.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I find it funny that he'd probably get shit on by smarks nowadays.

"omg only being pushed for his look, omg he sux in the ring, omg promoz suck" - Wrestlingforum kids.