Women's Champ, Cris Cyborg Officially Signs New Deal With Strikeforce

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
cyborg2_large.jpg
Strikeforce Women's 145 lbs. Champion, Christiane 'Cyborg' Santos, has been on the shelf for over a year now.

She tried to remain active during this time, diligently working on her grappling, and even winning a gold medal on the BJJ Mundials as a purple belt. But as Strikeforce wasn't able to secure any fights for her, Cyborg reportedly wanted to get fights outside of the US, where her exclusive deal didn't apply. She was rumored to be negotiating with a Brazilian Promotion along with the Singaproe based, ONE FC, but those deals didn't push through either.

The frustration mounted and even made her seriously consider her back up plan of joining the pro-wrestling ranks of the WWE.

"I like the WWE. If they had an opportunity for me, I’d do it" Cyborg told Sherdog, looking back on the situation as she was coming to a new deal with Strikeforce, "I was interested in doing [more than one event] with the WWE, but now I’m fighting again, so I’m going to do that,"

Today, all these issues seemed to be dealt with as the woman widely considered as the top MMA fighters in her division happily announced the news on her twitter page.

"Contract with Strikeforce SIGNED! Stay tuned for next fight info."

It's a shame that a year of her athletic prime has been wasted, but here's to hoping she becomes more active with this new deal.