Why do people think this movie is racist?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

I just heard about it for the first time and my first thought is it is just about taking a small town of crazy white people who are mentally ill and want to live in the "old days" where slavery was still a thing so they are abducting blacks and brainwashing them to be slaves again. It is just a horror film with a heavy satire to it. I don't think this is racist. The guy who produced it is a flipping comedian for the love of kittens! Yes a lot of people are calling it racist or racist provoking.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Because everything today is racist.

Literally everything anymore, you can't say anything anymore without it being called racist or offensive to somebody.

It's not racist provoking either. If there's a rape scene in a movie does that mean the movie advocates rape? No. If there's a murder in a movie does that movie advocate murder? No. The same applies here.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Because everything today is racist.

Literally everything anymore, you can't say anything anymore without it being called racist or offensive to somebody.

It's not racist provoking either. If there's a rape scene in a movie does that mean the movie advocates rape? No. If there's a murder in a movie does that movie advocate murder? No. The same applies here.

People just take everything to the heart and wonder why they aren't happy.

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
For the same reason that random people might think the black cat on your avatar is racist. Because there's too many idiots on the internet.

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
For me, I may be this "left-leaning person" but that movie, I'm not calling it "racist" unless I see it. My guess is it does touch on race relations...in a horror movie setting...which perhaps may not be the absol-ute best...but maybe it will bring light to the issue.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Because people like to be offended. Ngl tho', I thought it would be some race baiting bullshit but I was completely wrong. It tackles racism in a unique way all the while being a creative and original movie. It's good to be wrong sometimes.

Reactions: Solid Snake

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
( it is just about taking a small town of crazy white people who are mentally ill and want to live in the "old days" where slavery was still a thing so they are abducting blacks and brainwashing them to be slaves again)
Didn't watch the film yet but that sounds 100% racist to me lbs..... Idk what you guys are drinking?......but I'll check it out and see

Last edited:

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
(it is just about taking a small town of crazy white people who are mentally ill and want to live in the "old days" where slavery was still a thing so they are abducting blacks and brainwashing them to be slaves again)
Didn't watch the film yet but that sounds 100% racist to me lbs..... Idk what you guys are drinking?......but I'll check it out and see

A black comedian produced it lol

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Even if a black comedian did not produce the movie,would it mean that the movie is advocating racism? No.

A movie or any kind of media does not have to advocate behaviors that it features. Here's an example dating back to the late 80s. Slayer wrote the song "Angel of Death" about Josef Mengele, a sick and twisted man who was an SS officer and physician at Auschwitz. He carried out a lot of disturbing experiments on Jews, Gypsies and others. They wrote that song cause a lot of the disturbing stuff he did makes for a good evil tone for a song, and they got accused of being white supremacists and Neo-Nazis for writing that song. Did any of the members hold those beliefs? No.

So why would someone making a movie like that automatically be racist?

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Even if a black comedian did not produce the movie, it wouldn't mean that the movie is advocating racism? No.

A movie or any kind of media does not have to advocate behaviors that it features. Here's an example dating back to the late 80s. Slayer wrote the song "Angel of Death" about Josef Mengele, a sick and twisted man who was an SS officer and physician at Auschwitz. He carried out a lot of disturbing experiments on Jews, Gypsies and others. They wrote that song cause a lot of the disturbing stuff he did makes for a good evil tone for a song, and they got accused of being white supremacists and Neo-Nazis for writing that song. Did any of the members hold those beliefs? No.

So why would someone making a movie like that automatically be racist?

I was making a joke by saying because he is black it can't be racist (there are people who 100% believe that). lol
But I agree with your point. There is a fine line with art and social issues and no matter what you do, you are going to offend someone.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
And I guess I was wrong about parts of it...

"The villains here aren’t southern rednecks or neo-Nazi skinheads, or the so-called “alt-right”. They’re middle-class white liberals. The kind of people who read this website. The kind of people who shop at Trader Joe’s, donate to the ACLU and would have voted for Obama a third time if they could. Good people. Nice people. Your parents, probably. The thing Get Out does so well – and the thing that will rankle with some viewers – is to show how, however unintentionally, these same people can make life so hard and uncomfortable for black people. It exposes a liberal ignorance and hubris that has been allowed to fester. It’s an attitude, an arrogance which in the film leads to a horrific final solution, but in reality leads to a complacency that is just as dangerous."

"Peele said The Stepford Wives, because of the way it “dealt with social issues in regards to gender”, was an inspiration for Get Out. “I just thought, that’s proof that you can pull off a movie about race, that’s a thriller and entertaining and fun,” he said."

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I don't see it as racist, at all, either... I didn't watch it, but I saw the commercials.

The commercials come off - and I do mean it that way, it rubs people the wrong way. 90% of the scenes show blacks either doing violent things, or being preyed on (the man crying). But I thought it was different because often times, blacks are portrayed as a murderous gangster, angry gangster or mobster or something like that. In this film, that role is switched around. It's an ordinary black citizen doing violent things, or being preyed on. And the story summary above proves this:

"The villains here aren’t southern rednecks or neo-Nazi skinheads, or the so-called “alt-right”. They’re middle-class white liberals. The kind of people who read this website. The kind of people who shop at Trader Joe’s, donate to the ACLU and would have voted for Obama a third time if they could. Good people. Nice people. Your parents, probably. The thing Get Out does so well – and the thing that will rankle with some viewers – is to show how, however unintentionally, these same people can make life so hard and uncomfortable for black people. It exposes a liberal ignorance and hubris that has been allowed to fester. It’s an attitude, an arrogance which in the film leads to a horrific final solution, but in reality leads to a complacency that is just as dangerous."

"Peele said The Stepford Wives, because of the way it “dealt with social issues in regards to gender”, was an inspiration for Get Out. “I just thought, that’s proof that you can pull off a movie about race, that’s a thriller and entertaining and fun,” he said."

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well to be more specific, a black comedian wrote it, directed it and produced it. But as Black Wizard mentioned, even if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't mean it was racist.

Here's the problem. Right now, we have an incorrect understanding of what racism is. For racism to exist, it has to meet two criteria: 1. A specific race is identified as being different from others and 2. That difference is negative towards the race being identified.

Nowadays, people seem to think that even indicating that someone is of a certain race is racist. I've literally seen people get angry because people have referred to someone by their race. And they had nothing but positive things to say about the person.

As someone with a deep understanding of sociology, I see nothing racist about this movie.