White Explains Why Hendo/Shogun Was Better For PPV Than Fox

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Following a bout that same of calling the greatest in UFC history, UFC President Dana White showed frustration at the post fight press conference when probed about why he chose Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez to headline the UFC on Fox debut instead of last night's UFC 139 main event of Dan Henderson and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

Velasquez lost the UFC Heavyweight title to Dos Santos via a first round knockout that some felt ended too quickly. White had received criticism for not choosing the Henderson/Shogun bout to showcase the UFC in it's network television debut.

Although a case could be made for both parties supporting either fight, White explained why the first round KO was better for TV than a five bloodbath/slugfest:

"If you could have like a (Rua-Henderson) type fight on TV, I mean, imagine what the number would get to. But that's not the fight you want for your first time on network television," said White at the UFC 139 post-fight press conference. "I said it before and I'll say it again: if I could go back in a time machine and do the FOX fight over again, it would be done the same exact way. Exactly the same way. The hardcores can bitch about that fight, I could care less what they think about that fight. I don't care. And people are like, 'Oh, you don't care what the fans think?' No, I do not care what you think. That fight had to go the way that it went because none of you guys understands what goes on behind the scenes. If that fight that happened tonight went on FOX for the first time ever, let me tell you what, I would not be having a good time these last five or six days."

MMANews.com

Haha, Dana's awesome.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I laughed at the No I don't care what you think. Shouldn't have even had to explain that tho for the simple fact that the fight would have happened for free instead of on PPV where they make their money at mostly.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Basically. And the fight on Fox wasn't bad everybody loves a fight like that it was just short. And it still had HUGE ratings. And then the Shogun/Hendo fight is being considered One of the best fights in the history of the UFC so it all worked out really.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
So Dana is meant to predict how a fight is going to end?

What dumb questions......how could anyone of known Shogun/Hendo was going to be that good.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I love how brutally honest Dana White is.

He pulled out all the stops for the Fox debut and it was just unfortunate that the fight only lasted one minute.